Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 17:37

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Free weights

Hello all,
Well after a zillion crisis and new adventures happening in my life, I have slid off the LC path. However, this weekend I'm going back to it. I also slid off the exercise path (mainly due to moving out of the city and no gyms in the area) and I'm dying to get back into it. I'll be doing my ab exercises every day adn walking too. But I wanted to add some free weight exercises. So my two questions are this:

1. Where can I buy free weights on the internet that are at a reasonable price (or any brand names that are especially good)?
2. Any websites that have some good exercises you can do at home with free weights?

I apologize if these questions have been asked a zillion and one times before (as they probably have)

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 18:53
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi,
I buy some weight equipment at the K-Mart site www.bluelight.com, but I buy the actual weight and heavy stuff locally........because the shipping charge is by weight, and is enormous Much cheaper to buy at retail (they get price breaks on shipping we don't). For example, I was looking at a weight rack and bench that weighed about 250 lbs total.........and they wanted to charge me $139 for shipping (the item only cost $300 to begin with).

I would recommend buying a good illustrated book for instruction.

Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 20:39

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

Dick's Sporting Goods has good equipment. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com has good equipment at decent prices.

Shipping will really increase the price of anythign you buy on line
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 21:59

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

Hey Tam!

Where'd ya' move to that dosen't have a gym? I'm in Walnut Creek, so I had to ask!

If you are anywhere near San Mateo, Walnut Creek or San Jose, you can try Fitness Equipment Direct. Walmart, K-mart and Target are also a good bet for cheap sets of weights. Play-it-again sports might have some stuff for you too!

A couple of great places to see exercises performed with free weights are:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html (my computer crashed last week, and it just took me 20 min to find the site!)

There is another one, but I'll have to post it later.
HTH.
Brenda
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 09:08

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default tammay

Check your area and see if they have a "play it again sports". They often have equipment in very good condition for reasonable price! Also...check Salvation Army! Unbelievable what you can find there!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 19:13

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I hadn't thought about the mega price on the shipping because of the weight (duh...)

Brenda - funny you shoudl mention Target as an option - I have one a block and a half from my house (I live in El Cerrito). Also, I was taking my first walk this morning and passed by a Big 5 Sporting Goods. Well, that takes care of that...

I'll look at the sites mention and also check out Amazon.com for any good illustrated books.

First day back on LCing after a substantial break and I've forgotten how good it is (except that now I have a huge headache from studying all day!)

Tam