Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1996   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 11:47

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Maybe! Good salt is full of minerals. When I got so depleted, I wasn't eating liver or organ meats or any sources of micronutrients much. Plus staying in the shade as my alternative to gunky SPF creams (won't use them). Apparently you can take it too far, staying out of the sun. Actually I was just not wanting to get sweaty.

I am talking magnesium and selenium and iodine and B12 and D3 - your basic vitamins and minerals that get depleted with an inadequate diet (for whatever reason it's inadequate - might not be from eating "wrong" just that the food didn't have the goods)

Motivation is biochemical too. Low serotonin means low motivation. It's sort of like the exercise thing - we don't stop moving because we're lazy, we stop moving because our energy was shut down or diverted and we got fat and sick. Same thing with motivation - we are not motivated not because we don't give a darn, but because we are not well. When things start to click, people start to have all this motivation and energy and chores get done, Un Finished Objects get crafted, taxes paid, etc etc! It's amazing.
Sponsored Links
  #1997   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 13:35

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
When things start to click, people start to have all this motivation and energy and chores get done, Un Finished Objects get crafted, taxes paid, etc etc! It's amazing.

That's what I keep thinking. If I can just hit the sweet spot, I'll have more energy, motivation, weight loss, etc. Life will be grand!
  #1998   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 19:56

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Motivation is biochemical too. Low serotonin means low motivation. It's sort of like the exercise thing - we don't stop moving because we're lazy, we stop moving because our energy was shut down or diverted and we got fat and sick. Same thing with motivation - we are not motivated not because we don't give a darn, but because we are not well. When things start to click, people start to have all this motivation and energy and chores get done, Un Finished Objects get crafted, taxes paid, etc etc! It's amazing.
Yeah, I know the feeling because there are times in my life when I have *had* motivation. But now ain't one of them. I NEED motivation right now. I'm buying a new house in Florida, have to pack up here in my current house, get it fixed up, on the market ... plus finish up all the stuff I have to do to wind my my term as 2nd VP and Exhibitions Chair of the Pastel Society of New Jersey ... and I have no motivation to do anything! Yesterday I basically did nothing all day long except take the dog for three short walks. Today I *forced* myself to start hauling some stuff down from the attic and out to my front porch - as a charity is coming by to pick it up early Monday morning. But "force" was the operative word, and after each trip down from the attic I had to lie down and rest for about 30-45 minutes before I could tackle the next trip. It was like slogging through quicksand.

I have the mental motivation, as I know it has to be done, but don't have the physical right now. Darn.
  #1999   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 08:15

Plan: Atkins/Optimal Diet
Stats: 181/168/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I started taking cell salts last year (aka minerals, tissues salts, Schuessler's salts) and I know they have changed my health. I no longer am on thyroid medication, I stopped gaining weight (still working on losing) and my other hormone problems are minimal. Because of our lifestyles and environment I think it is safe to assume we are all deficient in the very elements that our bodies are made of. Our bodies are comprised of 25 different elements (from our periodic table and all found in nature). If you were to creamate the body, the ashes would be these 25 elements.

Dr. Schuessler's theory (dates back to the 1800) was that in order to have dis-ease or illness there has to be a cellular deficiency - meaning deficiency in those 25 elements our bodies are made of. They are often referred to as the "elements of life". The cell salts you can buy are compounds of the actual elements (there are 12 main cell salts - two elements compounded in each cell salt). I believe this theory to be very true as I have seen some major healing in my own life. I have also used them on my dogs - avoiding expensive eye surgery and avoiding unnecessary vet bills.

So for some of us we are taking supplements and wonder why we still have the symptoms and illnesses. Here is what Dr. Shuessler's theory would say: Let's assume you know you have a magnesium deficiency because you have chocolate cravings galore and you take magnesium supplements, but you are still deficient. The reason would be if you don't heal the cellular deficiency first you are not able to absorb that supplementation fully. Same with my thyroid, after I started the cell salts I needed less and less thyroid medication until eventually I could not take any medication as it was overstimulating my thyroid - heart palpitations, insomnia, racing heart. Blood work confirmed - overstimulation of T3.

If you look for the information, it is out there. However, mainstream medical is not going to suggest them as they are inexpensive and can't be patented as all the elements are found in nature...hence no money to be made for big Pharma and since big Pharma runs our world, you have to do the foot work on your own.

The best reference book I have found is "Facial Diagnosis of cell salt deficiencies" by David Card. You will be amazed at all the symptoms the body is giving that we ignore and dismiss as just a part of life...fascinating stuff!

So, yes there may very well have been something to do with the "salt" in the air and sea salt absolutely contains minerals.

Last edited by Scooby123 : Sat, Jun-25-11 at 08:18. Reason: spelling...isn't the greatest :-)
  #2000   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 08:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yeah, I know the feeling because there are times in my life when I have *had* motivation. But now ain't one of them. I NEED motivation right now. I'm buying a new house in Florida, have to pack up here in my current house, get it fixed up, on the market ... plus finish up all the stuff I have to do to wind my my term as 2nd VP and Exhibitions Chair of the Pastel Society of New Jersey ... and I have no motivation to do anything! Yesterday I basically did nothing all day long except take the dog for three short walks. Today I *forced* myself to start hauling some stuff down from the attic and out to my front porch - as a charity is coming by to pick it up early Monday morning. But "force" was the operative word, and after each trip down from the attic I had to lie down and rest for about 30-45 minutes before I could tackle the next trip. It was like slogging through quicksand.

I have the mental motivation, as I know it has to be done, but don't have the physical right now. Darn.

I have been there before - especially when my thyroid was not working right. Just reading your words made me anxious as I hated how that felt. I would need to rest from every activity like I was on my death bed. It was a horrible feeling...
  #2001   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 09:12

BF:

Quote:
But "force" was the operative word, and after each trip down from the attic I had to lie down and rest for about 30-45 minutes before I could tackle the next trip. It was like slogging through quicksand.

I totally know what you mean. I am downsizing and I stared, from the couch, at three boxes that needed to be moved to the garage, for weeks before the right mix of energy and motivation showed up. My DD cannot understand this and I would never want anyone to - because that means they would have had to live through it.
  #2002   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby123
So, yes there may very well have been something to do with the "salt" in the air and sea salt absolutely contains minerals.

Glad to hear it. I felt a little nutty saying it. But something happened when I was living on St. Croix. I lost 40 pounds without trying, starving, exercising, or even really being aware of it. I noticed my clothes all got too big for me, but I didn't have access to a scale. I was shocked to find I weighed 122 when I got back home. I was there a year and a half, but I'm not sure when the weight loss started or how long it took. I think I probably settled at 122 (I wasn't losing the whole time, the weight loss stopped when I reached 122) at some point. But I couldn't tell you when.

I've tried to think what might have caused this weight loss - and the regain when I got home. Nothing has made sense or panned out yet. Maybe it was just the salty air. That would be weird, huh? Seems so unlikely.
  #2003   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 18:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
I've tried to think what might have caused this weight loss - and the regain when I got home. Nothing has made sense or panned out yet. Maybe it was just the salty air. That would be weird, huh? Seems so unlikely.
Hmm, wouldn't that be cool? Imagine living by the seaside for weight loss, . On the other hand my son and DiL moved to Florida last year and live less than a mile from the beach, so they must have salty air too. My son goes to the beach every morning to exercise. But the two of them have both just continued to GAIN weight since being down there.
  #2004   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 19:29

BF:

Quote:
Hmm, wouldn't that be cool? Imagine living by the seaside for weight loss,

We'll all have to move to the Caribbean - the obesity cure.
  #2005   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 11:17

BF:

Quote:
Glad to hear it. I felt a little nutty saying it. But something happened when I was living on St. Croix. I lost 40 pounds without trying, starving, exercising, or even really being aware of it. I noticed my clothes all got too big for me, but I didn't have access to a scale. I was shocked to find I weighed 122 when I got back home. I was there a year and a half, but I'm not sure when the weight loss started or how long it took. I think I probably settled at 122 (I wasn't losing the whole time, the weight loss stopped when I reached 122) at some point. But I couldn't tell you when.

Also, something to consider would be the soil and where the food was coming from while you were in St. Croix. It's possible the soil condition was better (less contaimenated sp??) and you were able to get the needed elements from the soil....that would not surprise me in the least.
  #2006   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 11:59

BF:

Quote:
We'll all have to move to the Caribbean - the obesity cure.
Can there be a northern alternative? I hate the heat. Like, a salty beach in Scotland?
  #2007   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 14:43

BF:

Quote:
Can there be a northern alternative? I hate the heat. Like, a salty beach in Scotland?

Certainly. //Pulls her prescription pad out and writes prescription for Seejay to move to Scotland.//
  #2008   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 14:47

BF:

oh that is too funny. would that we could!!!!
  #2009   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 14:49

BF:

Quote:
would that I could join you on the salty Scottish beach. Sounds like my kind of cure
  #2010   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 11:11

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:

Ahhh...we must be separated at birth. When I start practically fainting from the summer heat and sun here on Long Island, I have to remind my husband (who understandably grouses about doing all the yardwork alone) of my Scottish roots, and that if I were in my real element, it would be 57 degress and raining.
Closed Thread