Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 14:32

Plan: Own Plan w/ Atkins & WW Tips
Stats: 127/122/115 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question Using Scale to Measure Meats by Ounce?

Is anybody using a kitchen counter scale to measure your meat/poultry portions by the ounce?

I have a hard time using the palm of my hand method or visualizing deck of cards or pack of ciggs to measure out 3 oz of meat. (not that I only eat 3 oz...sometimes more, sometimes less depending) The sizes and thickness varies and I'm just not sure, so I bought the scale and tonight will be my first night using it. Anybody else do this or am I just obsessing? Or any other easier suggestions?

The reason I need to measure is b/c unlike for some, I have to watch my calories since I am only ~12 lbs from my goal. Then it should be more accurate when I enter it into fit day.

I don't have a specific # of oz. of meat that I allow myself per day, I just watch the carb and calorie count and whatever amount I can fit in I just eat.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 14:44
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Sorry I just use the eye method, haveing done WW enough in my life I have a good idea of what 3 to 4 ounces of anything looks like. And if I am over, there really isn't to much calories in meat, so its not a big deal.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 14:52
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/259.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I used to work in a restaurant where I used to measure portions. I used to have a pretty good eye for it as well but it's slipped since.

I do have a small, cheap kitchen scale, but I usually don't bother to weigh my meat. I use it to measure things that could stall me like nuts!

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%

I just started to weigh everything because I was not loosing weight. I found that I was over estimating how much meat I was eating and under estimating hidden carbs and carbs in veggies. I will weight things until I start to get a good visual of what a oz is.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 15:41
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Ditto. I weigh my meat and sometimes my veggies. Though I trust myself to know what 2 c of salad is -- and no one ever got fat from veggies.

I think it's important to really keep tabs on meat/cheese/cream intake by weighing or measuring these items. I know it's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's easy to get the notion into our heads that these are "free" foods. That attitude doesn't set up healthy eating habits or help us learn portion control - in my opinion.

I've been on one plan or another so long I know all the means to guesstimate portion sizes. Yet, when I check -- I've almost always underestimated.

Maybe when I've been on this for a really long time, I'll stop measuring. But now, having just completed two months, I feel I still need this safety check to maximize my success.

K.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 00:47

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I have a dieters scale that will weigh to an accuracy of a gram of a small fraction of an ounce. It also will calculate the breakdown of the food it is weighing.

I bought mine in Lidl's in the UK - but I'm sure they are available elsewhere. I thing WW (spit) sell them.

Robert
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/133/125
BF:
Progress: 62%

I absolutely started weighing when I realized that I really had to watch my calories to lose weight. I lose at 1100ish calories, but stall at 1300-1400- so you can see how being off my a ounce or so in a meat portion (and things like steak or salmon can really pack a calorie punch) could really screw me up. I've found that depending on the shape of the peice of meat my estimation can be totally off - I overestimate the size of peices that are "cube-ish" and underestimate the size of flat things (hello no visual-spatial skills!! ).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 15:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default I do!

I have a little scale that I use, so I can get used to what a certain portion is. Once I've got the knack i doubt I'll use it as much. I figure, it's better to know now, than pay for it later!

Nicole
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/200/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Thumbs up I use the scale religously!

I have the same deficiency as Jessica! I can't tell how much anything weighs unless I measure it. I find it to also be a much safer way to know what you're getting...even more so than using a measuring cup for things like veggies. Most things that have the nutrition facts listed on the label will also give you a weight. If you don't have one, I'd invest in a digital scale. There's nothing like it!

I's say measure away!

Darlene
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 15:47
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 326/230/220 Male 6 ft 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Wal Mart

Just picked up a nice digital scale at Wal Mart for 36.00. Does ounces or pounds. Allows you to weigh container, hit button add product and the answer on digital screen. They do have one for 22.00 but opted for the more sturdier model!

It has been great with all the in doubt moments regarding amounts! Good Luck!

Pursuit