Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#136   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 10:35

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyrose
240.8 today- new low!! :-D :-D :-D

Congratulations!!
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitwork
The breakfast CM wrap:

2 large lettuce leaves (Romaine or red curled work well)

Slice or two of CM acceptable turkey or favorite lunch meat, baked
turkey, etc

2-3 TBSP of cream cheese

ANY other veggies you like! I diced up celery, green onions, and placed
in each wrap a few sprigs of parsley and cilantro. Then roll the entire
thing up like a burrito and enjoy! Very crunchy, satisfying, fresh I
had 2 and am still full almost an hour later. These work great at any
CM- even breakfast. Only your imagination can limit you.

MIW

I like this - it's a more complete roll-up that what I usually make and I like this better!
One caveat re Cash and Carry - when I was shopping there (haven't lately, should, you reminded me of their good deals) for both business items and personal, I would find at the one I go to, meats way too close to expiration date for my comfort..it was great so long as I remembered to check dates!

Here is a recipe of mine you might enjoy:
Green Beans Carbonara

Prepare your bacon to your taste - done but not crisp, or crisp, break into smaller bits.
Heat your green beans (I used canned or cook the fresh then use in this dish) in either bacon fat or bit of butter, add cooked bacon, scramble in 1 egg (adjust up for multiple servings), so it coats the green beans. Serve. (I will admit to liking a dash of hot sauce on this).
  #138   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 21:13

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%

yum patricia!! I will have to try that! And Blenders, I am super curious about kale chips too!
I had some almonds today- chili lime almonds...mm...I am not sure if they are allowed (have 5 carbs but 3 of those are fiber) but I guess I will find out from the scale tomorrow. I stuck to a serving size though
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 05:59

Plan: Looking around...
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ok, I'm in. I started today.

I weighed in at 213 pounds - or in my language, 'British' - 15st 3lb. I'll mostly post my weight in stones but when I remember, I'll convert it to pounds since I'm in the minority here

I will admit to having some fears about this. I am so afraid that I won't be able to stick to it, because I've struggled with so many other diets and eating plans countless times in the past.
I've tried CAD/CALP once before, I think it was in September 2012. I stuck to it for a few days but then the cravings got to me and I caved in.

Can anyone tell me how long the cravings are likely to last?

Food today

CM - two boiled eggs
CM - roast chicken, with chicory and romaine salad, and olive oil dressing
RM- blue cheese, chicory and (a very few) walnut salad, beef stew with small dumpling and lots of brocolli

I'm not sure yet if I'm trying CAD or CALP. I have both books. I've read CALP but not CAD. I do sometimes need an afternoon snack (will keep it CM) on some days when I have lunch at 12.30pm and dinner isn't until 8.30pm.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: SB / CALP
Stats: 289/259/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

hi everyone , I am new here and would love some input from the veterans !
I have been lurking since yesterday and am having trouble with navigating .
I have done LC in the past using South Beach and master your metabolism , but have fell of the wagon . After reading carbohydrate addicts for kids , I know why .
My son ( 11) and I did the test , and we are both severe addicts ..... , It explained so many of his behaviour issues as well as my mood issues .
I always feel energized when watching my carb intake , but have always gotten tired of eating just protein and veggies , maybe this plan with the RM will help me overcome and stick with it .
So , after reading the kids book , plus tons of info on here and cheat sheets , I am wondering if the CALP book is just repetitive of all this , or do you think I should read it ?
There are a lot of LC recipes on the boards and internet , what are the guidelines to adapt them to CALP ? I have to be honest here and tell you tht even the recipes that they put in the kids book seemed very unappetizing , so I am hesitant to get their cookbook ,lol .
Any suggestions ?
  #141   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 08:36
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

good morning everyone!
Welcome Bon and sushi!

Bon, I like CALP the best as I really beleive the balance of protein/veggies/carbs at RM is the best for health. I think I'd also have a snack at midafternoon if RM was so late. I do have a daily cold beverage and almonds (my MD wants me to eat a dozen a day and this works for me)- for the past year the beverage has been iced green tea. I find that while I drink water during the day and with meals, this large drink helps me not feel as hungry in the afternoon.
As long as the snack is like a mini CM you are fine.

Shushy- welcome to the site.I love this site- soooo much to learn. I agree that the CALP recipes are not appealing to me. I find that I just stick to no carbs for my CMs and make whatever I want for my RM main- and as long as it is mostly protein I'm fine. I don't like using soy or artificial sweeteners (AS), so I think a lot of the Paleo recipes work great for CALP. There is a HUGE recipe area on this site- great recipes too. OUr local foodie is PAT- you can look at her posts and go to her journal (click on the JOURNAL button at the bottom of her posts) and I bet she'll help with recipes.
Please come and post a lot!
I have never used CAD and prefer CALP, CAHHP or HFL so that is my take. I like having the book- it is cheap on amazon.
TO adapt recipes is ot really needed- just no carbs for 2 meals and balance the RM.
So I'd never make some of the LC food here for CM- I just have the real think for RM!

Had Arby's last night on the way to the movies- side salad, double meat sandwich, water.

Tonight going to a serbian place- DH will have borekas (pasties, Bon) and I will have a burger and a salad.

Later-
E
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for the welcome , I will post what I eat daily , hopefully you all can correct me if I am making mistakes along the way . The real challenge will be to get my son to eat other vegetables besides carrots , corn , potatoes and lettuce
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonDépart

For me it's the first 3 days that are the hardest, and by 2 weeks I'm really comfy with switching back off my horrid "eatcarbsallatime" ways
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushy
thanks for the welcome , I will post what I eat daily , hopefully you all can correct me if I am making mistakes along the way . The real challenge will be to get my son to eat other vegetables besides carrots , corn , potatoes and lettuce

Do check the recipe section on this site - specifically for the recipe for cauliflied rice - it is outstanding! In fact..my pizza adoring hubby LOVES the recipe we recently tried using riced cauliflower to make cheesy-garlic "breadsticks"..no bread involved

We adore cauliflower - mashed for faux potatoes, in the best mock potato salad you can imagine, riced and then stir-fried, and as a "pizza" crust.

You will find the longer you are doing calp or cad, your taste buds will change as well. I now find many veggies can taste sweet to me, and taste better than they did when I was rampantly eating carbs. Hopefully, that will be the case for your son as well.

I have a fair number of recipes or ideas sketched out in my journal, take a browse through!
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 10:22

Default How to have a super bowl cm

I don't usually get into the super bowl, but I'm into it this year!

I've planned a cm brunch (my spinach-cheese casserole and sugar-free bacon on the side)

For the bowl, a cm composed of favorite cm snack type dishes:

My recipe for sausage balls with a homemade dijonnaise
raw cm veggies with a fresh herb dip recipe I found that is cm
celery stuffed with a homemade olive dip
a new dip I'm trying with goat cheese, radishes and scallions
cm chicken wings from a recipe I have
and cheesey-garlic "breadsticks" that are made from cauliflower (no marinara sauce, so is cm).
I'm premaking dips, and the sausage balls today, will make the breadsticks and chicken wings tomorrow before the game.

And that..is my idea of a really nummy "party" cm!
  #146   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 10:26
Registered Member

BF:

Can anyone explain where the avocado fits in ? I love avocado , i find it satisfying in salads , love the texture , but I don't see it listed as a fruit , veg or fat , is it not calc friendly ?
  #147   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 10:33

Plan: One meal a day CAD style!
Stats: 235/212/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenders
Just checking in... But I also had some slip ups and cheats along the way... I've never had kale before but I heard "kale chips" are awesome and easy to make. Can't wait!

I don't think I've had any slips up other than the one night out where we got started and had to move to another place to eat (so RM took 2 hours) other than that I am not seeming to budge on my scale. Trying to not get frustrated but it can be trying. The measurements seem to be slowly going down but are moving more than the scale. I figure EVENTUALLY I've got to be able to dip below 220 consistently on the scale! LOL

I've decided RM need to be more balanced and less amounts overall. I need to drink more water. I need to keep alcohol to once a week or even less as even thought it is balanced in my meal- it does do a number on the liver which is responsible for insulin AND fat metabolism so I many just have to dial it back a bit.

There is a video on youtube that shows a cute young girl and how she makes Kale chips. We made them and I loved them. They aren't anything like potato chips however. But it does make the kale way easier to chew up and swallow vs. raw. On bigger pieces you might want to cut out the stalk that grows up the middle (vein?). Anyways, you basically toss the kale leaves in a big bowl with oil, sprinkle on some salt and seasonings (go easy, the amounts I used that were per the recipe made them a bit too salty for my taste and I am a salt lover!) and bake. I can't remember the exact temps or amounts for the recipe but if you google and surf youtube you can find it.

MIW
  #148   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 10:46

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonDépart

Hi Bon!
I had some terrible cravings when I began CAD too. But then I read The Stress Eating Cure written by the Hellers (their latest book, I believe) and they strong suggesting eating your RM for breakfast if you have cravings. It was the whole reason why they wrote the book since Rachel was struggling with her cravings too even though she had successfully lost and maintained her weight for almost 20 years.
It definitely helped me. While I have cheated a few times it was mainly for social temptations, not because I was craving. I've stopped obsessing about my RM and thinking about it all day long since I can eat it right away in the morning. Lately, I've just been having 2 small CM meals or sometimes just one simply because I'm not that hungry. It's great!
Anyway, welcome to the site and good luck on your weight loss journey!
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushy
Can anyone explain where the avocado fits in ? I love avocado , i find it satisfying in salads , love the texture , but I don't see it listed as a fruit , veg or fat , is it not calc friendly ?

It's a rm only veggie, but such a good one
  #150   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-13, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: cad
Stats: 190/184.5/170 Female 5 8"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I restarted cad in September. Down ten lbs and not feeling deprived. I am happy with progress and think I can stay on this plan long term.
Closed Thread