Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 00:14

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%
Progress: 100%
Question Best Heller Book?

I initially discovered the Carb Addict's Diet on Fat Mark's blog. He was trying a new diet every week for a year. He had a really detailed review of CAD and he seemed to think it was the best. So I did a bunch more research and found this forum. I started the diet immediately, with a reward meal, even though I had eaten high carb food all day. (not recommended!)

Next I read a library copy of CALP. I noticed that CALP doesn't tell Rachell's whole story, which I knew about from Mark's review, and it requires you to equally portion your RM, which, to my understanding isn't necessary if you are doing well with CAD. Just not as enticing, I thought. So I bought CAD thinking I would like it better. However, I was disappointed that CAD suggests low fat complementary meals and went on quite a bit about saturated fat and cholesterol guidelines. Then again, it was written in the early 90s. I'm not worried about it for myself, I can ignore the phrases, but now I can't lend CAD to any of my fat phobic friends. And I'm afraid CALP won't be as appealing, except to the very health conscious.

So my question is, does anyone have a totally favorite Heller book? There was a revised version of CAD, too, right? Let alone all the others. When people start asking me how I lost all my weight I want to recommend their best book.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: cad
Stats: 190/184.5/170 Female 5 8"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc
I initially discovered the Carb Addict's Diet on Fat Mark's blog. He was trying a new diet every week for a year. He had a really detailed review of CAD and he seemed to think it was the best. So I did a bunch more research and found this forum. I started the diet immediately, with a reward meal, even though I had eaten high carb food all day. (not recommended!)

Next I read a library copy of CALP. I noticed that CALP doesn't tell Rachell's whole story, which I knew about from Mark's review, and it requires you to equally portion your RM, which, to my understanding isn't necessary if you are doing well with CAD. Just not as enticing, I thought. So I bought CAD thinking I would like it better. However, I was disappointed that CAD suggests low fat complementary meals and went on quite a bit about saturated fat and cholesterol guidelines. Then again, it was written in the early 90s. I'm not worried about it for myself, I can ignore the phrases, but now I can't lend CAD to any of my fat phobic friends. And I'm afraid CALP won't be as appealing, except to the very health conscious.

So my question is, does anyone have a totally favorite Heller book? There was a revised version of CAD, too, right? Let alone all the others. When people start asking me how I lost all my weight I want to recommend their best book.

Thanks for the input!

I also prefer CAD original
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 11:42

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I've read all but one of the Heller's books. I haven't read the one for getting back on plan. I still prefer CAD and mostly use it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-12, 09:12

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I'm not a good one to comment but will anyway..I never read Cad, read calp and the one after - the heart healthy for life. Prefer and use CALP.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-12, 08:36

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

I read CALP first and when I finally got around to reading CAD, I found it very confusing to me. I attempted to read CAHHP and in the process of reading it, I thought it was very similar to CALP so I chose to skip some of it and did not read the entire book. I still have all three of these books and I have picked up a few copies of some of them at my local thrift stores.

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter which book you follow as long as you are comfortable following it!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 09:58

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppinn
I read CALP first and when I finally got around to reading CAD, I found it very confusing to me. I attempted to read CAHHP and in the process of reading it, I thought it was very similar to CALP so I chose to skip some of it and did not read the entire book. I still have all three of these books and I have picked up a few copies of some of them at my local thrift stores.

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter which book you follow as long as you are comfortable following it!

I always thought they were basically the same with small variations. I mostly enjoyed reading the new things they had learned or discovered. But the way of eating was always pretty much the same. So I think the one that speaks to you is the one for you. CAD/CALP are still the best as far as I'm concerned.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 12:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
CALP and CAHHP are updates of CAD. I like them much better than CAD- have always followed them.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-12, 12:45

Plan: One meal a day CAD style!
Stats: 235/212/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 24%

I am really interested in the Carbohydrate Addicted Kids books. Has anyone read it or know what the plan is for children? My son has major carb cravings, has autism and has a lot of food aversions but his cravings are really getting out of hand and it is driving us nuts! (anyone have a kid following you around starting at 6am asking for Pizza Hut, then proceed ALL DAY LONG?) lol plus either pizza, fries, or burgers is all he wants to eat. Sprinkle that in with the occasional ice cream or chocolate. Good news is he will eat eggs, steak, salad but it has to be with Hidden Valley Ranch brand dressing. He likes fruit too. But, left to his own it's Pizza Hut all day long! He is 8 and has been normal weight and very robust and healthy size but this last summer put on close to 15 pounds so that is why I am getting concerned as I am noticing him ratcheting up his eating and whining for carb stuff.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-12, 13:15
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I am so sorry about the difficulties with your son.
I have no experience with kids with eating issues-
but there is a forum here. Maybe also talk to your autism suppport group or MD?