Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 15:32

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I've only been doing one full meal a day (for the most part) for quite a while. I'll generally have one "big" meal consisting of some meat, an egg or two, maybe some cheese, and a bit of extra fat added. This keeps me satisfied pretty much all day; I may snack on something very small like a few macadamia nuts but in terms of a real "meal" this is about all I do. If I'm at work I may do a large salad (a little bit of baby spinach, a lot of hard-boiled egg, dressing, olive oil, and a splash of red wine vinegar with a tiny bit of nutritional yeast).

Example of my food eaten today:

Omlette at around 10:30 AM:
Beef Italian sausage (ground beef and spices)
Two eggs with salt and lemon pepper
Kerrygold Irish Dubliner cheese
(all cooked in organic, salted pasture butter)

I had five pieces of macadamia nuts earlier just for a nibble, and I very well might have five more later (five pieces from the container I have are about 100cals/mostly fat/about 1 carb perhaps).

Intermittent fasting seems to work fine. It's an interesting concept that I've read up on on a few different websites, but I admittedly do not do this every day of the week; I may do it about half of the time if I feel like it or if I remain satisfied. If I get hungry, I will eat something no matter what time it is exactly. The difference is that I will not, and haven't in three months, touched anything with sugar, starches, etc...I am super strict low carb and do not eat processed foods almost at all.

If I want dessert I'll whip up organic heavy whipping cream with stevia and add cinnamon if I feel like having it (or real vanilla if I get a bean from work from time to time). Also I find that ream cream cheese (softened) mixed with stevia and cinnamon reminds me a lot of cheesecake and it's delicious lol.

If I ate carbs like you guys I'd lose my cool and eat like a cow - no joke! lol
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-13, 02:24

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm with you on the no sugar thing, and I never ate processed food, always cook from scratch. It's working for me. Prob I have is getting salad in - I live a wee bit remote and my nearest shop is 15 miles, makes an expensive salad when you add on the petrol. So I just get that once a week and it lasts 2-3 days.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-13, 15:04

Plan: One meal a day CAD style!
Stats: 235/212/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 24%

Sound good! Today I had:

6 C mixed green salad with 3 celery stalks, half and avacado, 4 TBSP ranch dsg

1 large ribeye steak

Iced caramel vanilla latte with about 4 ounces syrups and 4 oz half & half

1 brownie muffin

1 C salted caramel ice cream (SafeWay brand).

A bit carb heavy but actually just about 1 part each of protein, fat, veggies (this was 2 parts!), and 1 part carb.

MIW
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 07:34

Plan: CALP
Stats: 176/137/130 Female 5'1
BF:No idea
Progress: 85%

Yesterday I had:

2 cups cooked cauliflower
1 cup cooked cabbage
2 rotisserie chicken legs, a thigh, and two wings
1 corn on the cob
2 Pillsbury Grands Cinnamon Rolls
1/4 chocolate eclair (it was left over and needed to be eaten!)

I made Ghiradelli brownies yesterday to eat today I'm planning on pork chops, baby kale chips, cauliflower, sweet potato, and brownies today.

It was that TOM this week and I still lost an average of 1.4 pounds, that was pretty amazing!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 17:20

BF:

That is awesome Amy! I did a random calorie audit and the other day I ate almost 2,800 calories! Yikes. Got to reign that in. Maybe could be why I have been in a plateau. Even with that though I am down 0.19 lbs this week. Nothing incredible but at least it is a loss of some kind and I will take it!

Losingme16 for some reason I just now saw your post and must have missed it. Sorry about that. Glad you are here and I welcome anyone who has been doing the one meal a day concept ANY length of time. Do you find you are losing or at least maintaining? Sounds like you do a good portion of fat which another friend of mine is big on a high-fat diet. Yet a different friend is very low carb most of the time like you. I think we all have different metabolisms and you have to find what works best for you so kudos for you finding something that works. The best is how sane a WOE makes you. I have done very low carb, WW, cabbage soup diet, on and on and all made me crazy except CAD. I do CAD even better with IF and I actually like just one meal a day. I do find it hard to convince others that I am not crazy eating like this and social events do tend to pop up due to Murphy's law always AFTER I have eaten my big meal for the day so some days I do eat again but luckily that is very rare. For the most part one meal a day which I consume in a one hour time frame is working out well.

MIW
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 21:56

BF:

Today's RM (an RM only day)

2 C celery sticks
3 TBSP ranch
2 salmon patties
1 slice cheddar cheese
big piece lettuce, slice of tomato and onions
1 pc of blackberry cobbler
1 blueberry yogurt
twix
16 iced mocha with 2%

Have felt good all day and it was fun to mix it up a bit with my food choices and not have the same old same old. I only ate half the cobbler I brought, and didn't eat a snickers I brought along also. Getting easier to say no and I also got a 16 oz with 2% and not a 20 oz with half & half.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 05:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitwork
Do you find you are losing or at least maintaining?

Losing very actively, for the month of August I am down 5lbs so far in two weeks. My favorite meal is along the lines of:

some type of beef (usually cube steak cooked in butter or ground beef cooked as-is), pan drippings poured over top
fried egg -- medium (cooked in butter)
cheese -- generally with a higher fat vs. protein content, I'm a label nazi (I like sharp, aged cheeses or goat's cheese)

Especially if I am at home all day (three days a week off, I work four ten hour days) I will eat something like this as my "meal" of the day. I get a lot of free, organic eggs from work (if one is broken they give away the whole dozen to employees!) so I am trying to do at least one egg a day regularly just to eat them down...still 2doz in my fridge lol!

Lately I have been HUNGRY a lot more after my one meal, so I do sometimes have to snack a little. This snacking has not impeded my progress seemingly. I just make sure it's super low carb and have what I like (pork cracklings and goat cheese yesterday, it was tasty). High fat doesn't bother me at all, and I do what I can just to make sure my fat is higher than my protein intake and avoid things with excess carbs. It works, that's for sure; even when I do retain water weight from hormones I drop it fast plus a little extra seemingly over a day or two.

I feel I personally can hold myself more accountable by sticking to a basic guideline rather than having one time a day where I eat what I like; I really don't feel deprived, and from the reading I have done I am honestly a little carb-phobic in terms of what they can do to your health (especially sucrose - refined table sugar - and high fructose corn syrup). My favorite eats are odd to most people (I've had people kind of laugh at my meals in the break room at my job), but *I* like how they taste, and it's pretty obvious I've lost a lot of weight since I've had my third baby (I started LC'ing around the beginning of May -- almost 25lb down). The dramatic results I'm seeing keep me super motivated, and I love that I don't have any need of exercise! I still have a good bit of weight to lose (150 is way low for me, but if I get to 170 or wherever and my weight loss stalls on it's own then I am super happy), and I want to pass on what I have learned to some of my family who are struggling.

EDIT -- And yes, that means I eat little to no veggies -- at most I'll sometimes have baby spinach at work as a salad base, and only VERY little. I have tomatoes growing and might do one of those a day when they ripen up. I will definitely not turn down an avocado occasionally either (yes, I know, it's a fruit hehe).

Last edited by LosingMe16 : Wed, Aug-14-13 at 06:01.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 05:55

BF:

Quote:
...I also got a 16 oz with 2% and not a 20 oz with half & half.

I'd have gone with the half and half, less sugar and tastes better!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 09:46

BF:

Yes for about 5 days I switched and was doing half & half and looking for higher fat ice creams as a friend has been losing well and maintaining on higher fat. I still have some carbs and sugar too.

I decided for the next while I am going to try going back to 2 meals a day and see if that can kick my metabolism out of this plateau I have been in since late March. I will follow CALP guidelines with IF and do a low carb CM, then focus on having more realistic RM's that are balanced better.

MIW
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 11:45

BF:

Well yesterday was a one meal only day (RM according to CAD/CALP) because I was at work. Had some stress also and amazingly I am down to 213.6 lbs! I suspect I will bounce right back up tomorrow since I am most likely very dehydrated even though I drank a bunch of water but also I tend to get dry after TOM has passed. Anyways, I do love the flexibility of CAD and also that IF really does work as once your body adjusts you plain old just do not get hungry and can really eat only once a day!

Meal was:

1 top sirloin steak
4 Cup red leaf lettuce salad
3 TBSP Hidden Valley Ranch dsg
2 C celery sticks
16oz iced mocha 2% milk (regular esspresso this time-not decaf)
1 regular snickers
1 regular almond joy

Even with the junk this was close to balanced in terms of eyeballing amounts and also was just around 1500 calories so wasn't even enough calories compared to what I normally eat which is closer to 1800 or higher a lot of days.

MIW
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 08:11

Plan: CALP
Stats: 176/137/130 Female 5'1
BF:No idea
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Well yesterday was a one meal only day (RM according to CAD/CALP) because I was at work. Had some stress also and amazingly I am down to 213.6 lbs! I suspect I will bounce right back up tomorrow since I am most likely very dehydrated even though I drank a bunch of water but also I tend to get dry after TOM has passed. Anyways, I do love the flexibility of CAD and also that IF really does work as once your body adjusts you plain old just do not get hungry and can really eat only once a day!

Meal was:

1 top sirloin steak
4 Cup red leaf lettuce salad
3 TBSP Hidden Valley Ranch dsg
2 C celery sticks
16oz iced mocha 2% milk (regular esspresso this time-not decaf)
1 regular snickers
1 regular almond joy

Even with the junk this was close to balanced in terms of eyeballing amounts and also was just around 1500 calories so wasn't even enough calories compared to what I normally eat which is closer to 1800 or higher a lot of days.

MIW

Imaginary "LIKE" button clicked

I've still only been eating once a day most days and my appetite is really decreasing, although I found out the hard way that if my RM is restaurant Chinese food I need to be prepared to "crave" it for about 3 days! It could be that the Chinese was my first CAD day ever too, I prefer CALP to keep my appetite in check.

I start eating between noon and 3 currently. Eventually I want to eat at 6-ish so I can have dinner with the family, but am nervous changing times might affect my hunger level since I'm currently happy with it and my weight loss.

I'm visiting home next week and am totally going to stick with CALP and eating once a day -- what is so weird (in a good way) is that I am SO under control with CALP, I have no desire to go off because of vacation! After 10 years on and off Atkins, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS going off of it for trips, I am not viewing my vacation in terms of what I can eat (because I haven't been deprived) and it feels wonderful
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 12:33

BF:

Well I ended up with 2 and possibly again today will be RM only days due to either work schedule, stress, and just being NOT hungry.

I have worked out the last 2 days as well and it is paying off on the scale. Yesterday I was 213.6 lbs but I attribute that to the stress and fully expected today to be back up but I was only 214.2 lbs! Not sure if a combo of end of TOM and being dry, the stress, and/or the exercise but I will take it!

My workouts are a one mile walk, then a combo of calisthenics like marching leg lifts, variations of sqats, leg curls, modified pull ups and push ups. Today I hit it hard with 2 circuits of all my leg and arm stuff and I can already seed the improved strength and endurace after only 5 workouts!

I highly recommend the book Convict Conditioning. It has a funny premis of being old-school calisthenics that are mainly only used today in prisions and the knowledge about them kept alive there but the author really knows his stuff and it has lots of interesting history on the stong-men of the early 1900's complete with pictures. It is ONLY you using your own body and there are 10 variations of each exercise that start you out from the easiest and most dibiliatated person should be able to do up to the full exercise and you go at your own pace.

The next would be just watch a few youtube clips of Sit and Be Fit or watch it on TV. That is something I recommend to patients and also just keep in mind whenever I start up training and get discouraged because I am so overweight that really I can do ANY exercise at my level of fitness and just have to modify it.

MIW
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 12:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy711
Imaginary "LIKE" button clicked

I've still only been eating once a day most days and my appetite is really decreasing, although I found out the hard way that if my RM is restaurant Chinese food I need to be prepared to "crave" it for about 3 days! It could be that the Chinese was my first CAD day ever too, I prefer CALP to keep my appetite in check.

I have read posts over and over again on CAD forums that Chinesse food is evil! LOL No one knows if it is just because it is super carb heavy or maybe tons of salt and MSG but even when people fully balance and follow the rules to a "T" with Chinese food they are always up a day or 2 after and also talk about cravings!

Good luck on your trip and you can do it! I love being able to go out to a restarurant and just get a loaded chef salad or even a cheese omlette and eat to my hearts content and stay on the plan and no one knows I am on a diet! LOL

MIW
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 09:52

BF:

Well 3 days in a row of one meal only. It is just what I seem to be naturally inclined to do even with all the exercise I have been doing! This week I am happy to report my LOWEST weekly avg weight yet in over 10 months! Looks like I will break this plateau after all!

MIW
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 15:13

BF:

Here are some examples of my RM only days. Now yes, I now it is a lot of food and calories and I could have lost a lot more weight in 10 months than only 23 pounds but all I did was switch to eating carbs during a one hour period, continued to eat the same amount of calories and carbs as before and EFFORTLESSLY dropped 23 pounds!? This is awesome!!!!

Here are some examples of my RM's:

2oz cheese 160
3pc bacon 135
3 eggs 210
2 C raisin bran 380
1 C whole milk 150
5 See's candy carmel
nut chocolate clusters 450
1 1/2 C ice cream 480

Total: 1965

1 steak 270
3pc bacon 135