Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 00:24
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Whats SO BAD about Salt?

I hear everyone saying that they absolutley can't have salt.....????
I usually have egss each morning and i sprinkle some salt and pepper on it
and when im feeling blue, i go crazy over nuts and i eat the nuts that have the highest carbs and i eat so many saltd peanuts and cashews just for the salt.
sometimes i just have a salt craving.....but then the nuts usually calm me down.....but thats not good either
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 00:33

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I think people say they cannot have salt (I am one of them) because it tends to cause water retention. Water retention for me = no weightloss. At best, I'll stay the same weight for a long time. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 05:49

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Medically, very few people need to limit sodium intake. Some folks with high blood pressure (high blood pressure caused by other health factors, not high sodium intake) are advised to limit sodium.

Generally there are no compelling studies linking high blood pressure to high sodium intake in the absence of a medical problem. Though it's good to keep it low to stop bloating.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 06:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I eat a ton of salt and so far no problems...lol. I could be retaining water, but if I am...its obviously not causing that big of a difference. Better water than fat being retained...lol.

L
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 07:48

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What are you doing?

I live a high-sweat life--outside a lot doing HEAVY lifting, in the NC summer, mostly without air conditioning. I NEED salt; can die without it. There's a reason hunters put out salt to attract animals.

Salt gets a bad rap because most people eating a traditional diet get way more than we need from chips and other processed food. There has been some association between salt and high blood pressure. I think the LC WOE simply eliminates these problems.

The other problem with salt is that it takes a LOT of water to clear it. Read the kidney chapter in an anatomy book for the details--don't remember the cycle off hand. Our bodies are wired to conserve salt because it's so rare in the natural world; we excrete potassium liberally because it (used to be) plentiful--get it from leaves and fruits and such. You will die OF DEHYDRATION from drinking enough seawater--it takes more water to clear that much salt than you get from drinking seawater.

I recall it takes 1 pound of water to clear 1/4" tsp of salt, so if you eat something that has 1 tsp of salt (could be a nut binge), you WILL gain 4# of water before your body lets go.

I'm inclined to listen to what my body is asking for--if salt is tasting good on any given day, it's probably because I need it.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Salt, (Sodium Chloride) is a needed part of your nutrient base and you NEED salt to live.

That being said...too much salt will cause water retention...and swelling of your hands etc...and you will not show any weight loss when you get on the scale.

For those of us with high blood pressure (like me)...salt can be an enemy. It causes the retention and hands and ankles "fill" with water and swell...and blood pressure goes higher. Not a good thing.

Most people would do very well for themselves to keep sodium intake to 2400mg a day...thus getting enough for their body and not enough to cause adverse effects...However, If you are working/exercising heavily and sweating alot etc...you would need MORE and need to replace what you are sweating-out.

If ANY uncertainty about proper needs of sodium for YOUR situation...check with your doctor. They would know what YOU should have for your present condition.

Hope this helps!
Best to all;
Jake