Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Minor Fits

I have to report back on the results of the confits. The tuna worked very well in the hot weather. With the infusion of lemon, it was like having a complete salad dressing. I just tossed it in with a few fixings and it made a perfect meal. (Toasted pine nuts matched it nicely) I also used the infused oil in cooking. Sauted garlic prawns had a nice added element to them with the tuna just coming through enough to add but not distract.

The duck is still giving me pleasure. the rendered fat is proving to be a fantastic cooking fat. I used it to fry fish cakes and it gave a nice warmth to them. It is now the first thing I turn to when I saute unless I am after a greener/lighter flavour.

I made a bit of glace with the stock bones and pan fonds. Last night I made fajitas and found out that there were only chicken breasts in the freezer. As far as I'm concerned, chicken breasts are just there to highlight some other ingredients' flavour (minor rant), so I added some of the duck glace to the saute.

You know that cartoon dog that used to go into rapture after getting a bone? Well that is the difference it made. With the addition of chipotle sauce it brought the recipe the earthiness I wanted.

Ducks are on sale again....hmmmm.

Colin

PS I am going to put that book on order at the library Susan!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 00:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow Colin! You've been going crazy! What kind of tuna did you use?

Duck fat...have you roasted daikon in duck fat yet?

Since ducks are on sale, what about making rilettes? Very nice for the warmer weather, with a salad of slightly bitter greens dressed with walnut oil.

Duck fat is...I suppose the best way to describe it is...limpid.

Speaking of fat, a bottle of hazelnut oil from France arrived for me this week that is just amazing. When I tasted it, it felt like the best dessert ever. The next time you're over, we'll share a snort.

I know that doggy feeling very well. Mm, mm, mm!

Quote:
"the preparing, cooking and sociable eating of food are so central to the human experience that the culinary arts may well be what made us human in the first place."

You should post it Susan! That, along with domesticating dogs is what did it for us. Oh, and meat eating. No dog would have hung around the fire, waiting to be tossed a carrot.

Think I've just proved the paleo theory.

Karen
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 09:21
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Karen,
I used the Albacore tuna that I got from the supplier you recommended. Well,with the survivor of the sashimi frenzy that occured when I got home! My Father once went out on a whale hunt with a group of Inuit. The poor beluga was lucky to make it to shore in one piece. They were snacking on it all the way back! The same thing just about happened with us. That (Angel Seafoods) is a wonderful place and we are going to fit a sashimi/sushi party into our summer plans if the weather ever cooperates. (Note to the casual reader; they serve "Sashimi grade" seafood, don't try this with that trout you pulled from the pond last year) We are waiting for that weather where you don't dare heat anything and crave cool pleasures.

The tuna turned out firmer and unfortunately a bit drier than yours. I suspect it might have to do with the size of the pieces and the heat of the oven. It was a good first try (I say to myself).

I will have to tread lightly around the rillettes idea. I made a version of that and served it over a mix of spinach and romaine with a halo of seared mushrooms when the "sugar plum fairies" were visiting. The evening ended with one out on the balcony sobbing about not being able to eat a cute duck and the other taking diplomatic stabs at the greenery, with background noise coming from me about "how much you would pay for this in a restaurant". Not the highlight of the visit.

memo to self:1. Next time buy frosted everything when nieces come to visit. 2. Keep biblical references about "pearls before swine" to self.

You would think that there was enough of the east coast in their blood for them to appreciate some unscale "scruncheons"! Forgive the rant.

Colin

Last edited by colinjn : Wed, Jun-19-02 at 09:27.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:28
Registered Member

BF:
Talking I Say Old Bean!!!

I spent all yesterday with an image of us, feet up and snifters in hand, swirling amber liquid.

"Marvelous stuff this, eh what?" "Care for a splash of truffle?"

Colin
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 11:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Were we wearing smoking jackets and ascots?

If yes, I'll will have to bring out several vintages of the Venturi-Schulze balsamic vinegar as a nightcap.

Karen
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 15:42

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think this is the little dog who used to soar up in the air and gently float back to earth from his treat: