Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 23:54

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Oooh Jude ... if they have a dark chocolate, be sure to let us know! I really can't accept that white chocolate is REALLY chocolate but, if we have to, we'll go back to semi sweet (or bitter-sweet) Bakers for our dark choccy bars!!!!

Yeah, Thrifty's had 3 flavours left of the Ross bars, but they had a notice on the price tag where they'd go on the shelf to the effect DO NOT REORDER WITHOUT ????? AUTHORIZATION! (can't remember the word(s) in the ?????) We LOVE the dark chocolate and, because the maltitol doesn't seem to affect us, we count the carbs. We're close enough to maintenance,we really feel we can afford than much of a treat (1/2 a bar for dessert) after supper daily.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 00:01

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Glenda, pet, 500mL is 1/3 of 1.5L, so you'd need to use 3 of those packets. Related to that, I cruised through Safeway yesterday and picked up fullsize Crystal Light boxes (makes 1.5L) at 3/$5.00 so 1.67 each, including the Lemonade (not Pink, not Lemon Lime, nice and yellow ) flavour! If you get the chance, you might want to load up...if there's any left. I'm eyeballing the Tangerine-Grapefruit flavour, too...

News to me on the Ross bars, is it Thrifty's only? or everywhere?

BUT .... you used 1/2 packet of the 1.5 L so ... 750 ML = 1.5 packets of 500 ML packet???? No????

I bought a few flavours to try ... including strawverry-kiwi, but really looking forward to a delicious chocolate protein cookie that we can kid ourselves is really good and well worth the carb count!!!!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 01:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
BUT .... you used 1/2 packet of the 1.5 L so ... 750 ML = 1.5 packets of 500 ML packet???? No????

I bought a few flavours to try ... including strawverry-kiwi, but really looking forward to a delicious chocolate protein cookie that we can kid ourselves is really good and well worth the carb count!!!!

Well, maybe I didn't word it so well in the recipe: I used half a package, which is 1 pouch which had the sweetening capacity for 1.5L of water... ...the Crystal Light, too, comes in a package holding 2 pouches each of which sweetens 1.5L...the front of the packages says "makes 3L" and then in slightly smaller letters "2 pouches x 1.5L". Anyways, it would take 6 Singles to equal 1 retail regular CL Package and 3 Singles to equal 1 retail regular CL Pouch. Now I don't remember the cost of a Package of Singles or how many are in it, but that may help you in your cost comparisons.

Sorry about that!

...and yes, definitely need to work up that Chocolate Chocolate version, and dark is my fave, so Dark Chocolate it will be. I'll do my best to keep the carb count down, promise.

#19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 15:25
Registered Member

Default Cookie, Flourless, Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate

So, it still needs a LITTLE tweaking (more cocoa, maybe more flax or wpc...thinking on it) but they are pretty darn tasty as is, which might explain why I had 3 for breakfast

and here's the final product, doesn't look all that different . The following 2 images are 1) in daylight no flash and 2) in daylight with flash (my kitchen's kind of dark). The colour is different enough, I thought it might be better to see both.

#20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 15:30
Registered Member

Default Cookie, Flourless, Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate - recipe!

and here's the recipe, so far...

Quote:

Cookie, Flourless, Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate

Recipe By : Jude IslandGirl, The Kitchen Counter™
Serving Size : 11

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
DRY:
4 tablespoons protein powder, 100% whey Lean Whey Choc Mocha Supreme -- WheyPI
1 tablespoon whey protein concentrate WPC80 -- brings up the proportion of WPC - like Designer Whey
3 tablespoons flax seed meal -- golden
1 teaspoon ExpertF not/Starch, NF -- 4 veg gums blend-gluten structuring replacement
1 teaspoon baking powder -- activates in the oven-preferred to soda
1/8 teaspoon salt -- 1/8 tsp
WET:
1 whole large egg, Born 3 -- beaten
3 ounces coconut oil -- melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons Sweetener, Liquid, SugarTwin
1 drop sweetener, liquid pure sucralose/Splenda
1 teaspoon pure chocolate extract, Nielsen-Massey
TOPPER:
11 whole dark chocolate, 70% cocoa, premiyum BTSx pastilles

Stir together the dry ingredients and set aside. Melt the coconut oil gently in the microwave on low power til just dissolved (not too hot, definitely not boiling).

Beat the egg, then beat in, while pouring, the coconut oil.

Stir the egg mixture into the dry mixture and set in the fridge.

Heat the oven to 350F, and panspray quite well a large cookie sheet (I used a light-coloured sheet to reduce bottom browning).

When the oven is ready, scoop the mixture onto the sheet and bake for 8 minutes or until the tops are just dry (do NOT overbake).

Let cool on rack. Yielded 11.5 cookies, if you count the batter in the bowl

Copyright: ©LowCarb FoodExperts Canada®
Yield: 11 servings
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving104 Calories; 10g Fat (81.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 77mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
NOTES : 2008-07-04 see pics. whole recipe: 1141 Calories; 108g Fat (81.7% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 166mg Cholesterol; 846mg Sodium. SO just over 1g net carb per and just under 1g fiber per -- drat that rounding.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 10:01
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Just noticed the talk of using Crystal Light instead of a sucralose sweetened drink mix. Crystal Light is sweetened with aspartame and, to the best of my knowledge, you can't bake with it. Nestea mixes and Lipton Iced-tea-to-go are sweetened with sucralose. Wow, I just read the label and corn syrup solids and corn dexetrin are way high on the list on CL and my arthritis is sensitive to corn. Guess sweetened drink powders are about to bite the dust.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 14:04
Registered Member

Hmmmmm, I just checked my variety of packets, and I know someone else who used CL successfully in this recipe. Some of the mixes, such as CL, DO contain aspartame, and also acesulfame-K (a blend is pretty standard)...and it's a very short cooking time, so that probably explains why they got sweetening from their packet of CL as even aspartame takes a bit of time to lose its sweet from heat, or Equal packets wouldn't have worked in North America's coffee and beverages as long as it has.

My Peach version used Western Family, a generic brand, that IS sweetened with sucralose, as are the newer model Nestea mixes, and even a box of GSC Gourmet brand (I think that's a Walmart house brand) of Apple Cranberry Tea (which also contains a blend, the sucralose and the acesulfame-K).

Each and every brand above contains Maltodextrin and/or Dextrose and/or Corn Dextrin and/or Corn Syrup Solids. Not so good. Each of them also declares 1g carb per serving, with rounding that's technically 1.49g carb that could be made up of those sugars/products max per "serving", including the singles packets that's <4.5g per recipe. So I guess it depends on just how sensitive you (or anyone else with a corn sensitivity) are to the corn products whether you can tolerate this recipe or not.

BTW, I just checked a late model Unsweetened Koolaid packet (that declares 0g carb per serving but is a >7g total weight packet also containing Maltodextrin as a carrier/filler for the flavors) and it makes 2 quarts/liters and requires a Cup of "sugar". If granular Splenda is used, that's 24g of carbs from Maltodextrin as the carrier/filler from the Splenda alone, not counting what's in the Koolaid. If the Splenda Quickpack is used, that's 3g of carbs from Dextrose and Maltodextrin.

So those (almost always) corn products are everywhere in artificially sweetened and unsweetened products. And in most retail available sweetener products.

As always, the individual must decide what products they can use or tolerate, and know why.

There's always the chocolate cookie recipe, though and a vanilla with chocolate chips could be made, just have to choose your sweetener(s) carefully.

#23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-08, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: 85 grams of carbs a day
Stats: 169/169/155 Male 6'2"
BF:I am still chubby
Progress: 0%

Can i use soy-protein intead of whey protein in that recipe? Because i have some soy-protein and i've heard that soy-protein is better than whey-protein for baking

informer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Here's the recipe:
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 03:14
Registered Member

I have no idea...haven't tried it in this. I do remember soy protein isolate (if that's what you have) as being drier and "squeakier" if that's possible. You may need a bit more moisture.

Give a half batch a try and see what you think, then post back...