Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 02:13

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%
Default Depression Support Group

HI, anyone else out there suffer from depression?

It isn't fun. I know, I've been there for years.

Some people that are well, just don't seem to understand.

Today wasn't a bad day for me. I got to see my grandson.. I had a difficult time getting all of my homework done though. take care, Gina

Last edited by GinaLeanne : Fri, Apr-22-05 at 02:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 04:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Every time I get depressed, I eat all the wrong things because I want to die soon and get fat again and lose everything I have accomplished. I had lost 70 lbs and have put back 40 of them. I am 60 years old with a whole bunch of health issues and tired of feeling like this. I understand what you are going through.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 10:24

Plan: My Own Mix
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi ginaleanne!
(A name I recognize!)

Yes - me too, battle it on my own in my own way...

very hard to describe to other people - even dh really doesn't get it. Hey, most of the time neither do I.

Tried meds briefly about a year ago but gave up on them. Just recently started looking into other options.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to start a new thread here about welatonin.

Keep in touch!
~Kirsi
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 12:52

I feel terrible today.
Why do people think that people who suffer from depression feel sorry for themselves? I dont feel sorry for myself.

I did lose three more pounds, yet who knows about the pizza I ate yesterday, while I was at my daughters house. I am not weighing myself again until Monday.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 12:58

Smile

Hi SadLady, nice to meet you. I am doing pretty well on atkins, at least I feel I can control my portions. Yesterday I went off, yet I chose to. It helps when I make things I enjoy.
have a good weekend,
Gina
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by finngal
Hi ginaleanne!
(A name I recognize!)

Yes - me too, battle it on my own in my own way...

very hard to describe to other people - even dh really doesn't get it. Hey, most of the time neither do I.

Tried meds briefly about a year ago but gave up on them. Just recently started looking into other options.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to start a new thread here about welatonin.

Keep in touch!
~Kirsi

Hi, nice to meet you. yes, people don't understand. Meds dont help much for me either. I have some links for you.

http://www.orthomolecular.org/ I got this one on Larry King Live, Margo Kidder was on talking about her depression and this is what helped her. It was a good show.

www.depressionhurts.com

take care, Gina
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 21:03
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 375/170/160 Female 5'2"
BF:not as much now
Progress: 95%

Many people suffer from depression. As well as a host of other brain disorders. I am Bipolar. I have good and bad days. The mania is not as bad now but the depressive episodes seem to get worse when I'm worn down. Losing all this weight has helped some. But it isn't a miracle cure. I do have tons of more energy.
I am a Psych Rn also, so i deal with these issues every day. When the world realize that brain disorders are just like any other illness. Before I lost my weight, I suffered from numerous health issues. I just took my meds every day. The same goes for my bipolar. I just take my meds every day. Just not as much now.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws1119
Many people suffer from depression. As well as a host of other brain disorders. I am Bipolar. I have good and bad days. The mania is not as bad now but the depressive episodes seem to get worse when I'm worn down. Losing all this weight has helped some. But it isn't a miracle cure. I do have tons of more energy.
I am a Psych Rn also, so i deal with these issues every day. When the world realize that brain disorders are just like any other illness. Before I lost my weight, I suffered from numerous health issues. I just took my meds every day. The same goes for my bipolar. I just take my meds every day. Just not as much now.

Thank-you for sharing, I am curious, what do you think about the drug Paxil?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 09:24

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/

GinaLeanne,
Hi I was reading the post and came across yours. Paxil is an anti-depressant that is not one that you can take yourself off of. I was on it because of a tragedy in my life a while back. The doctor would not take me off of it, so I tried to stop taking it myself. I became suicidal! I am not suicidal and it scared the daylights out of me. I changed doctors, the next one weaned me off of them.
I am not saying they don't work, they do, just don't take yourself off of them if you are taking them!
Good Luck
Brenda
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 06:13

Plan: My Own Mix
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 64"
BF:

Good mornin' all...

It is beautiful here in s FL which makes it a bit easier to come to work and stick with low-carb induction (again!)...

spirits are pretty good!

Hope the same for you...

I'm gonna check out those links, ginaleanne - thanks!

Keep in touch,
~finngal
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 20:12
HelKat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/133/122 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I suffer from depression and am having a horrible bout of it right now! I lost 85 pounds on Atkins. Felt wonderful when I could fit into a size 2, but then I lost all my friends because I was not their "eating buddy anymore", went back to work (my own business as a photographer). Now I work all the time. If I'm not busy, I'm eating or crying. I am guilty of not being true, and I just feel horrible about that. I have 4 daughters and I don't let them or my husband come near me. No hugs, no kisses! My weight is going up. So far 10 pounds, the last I knew. Meds don't work. I think I have gone insane! No help for me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 13:41

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

Yes. I have suffered from depression for years, since I was 14.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfarm
I suffer from depression and am having a horrible bout of it right now! I lost 85 pounds on Atkins. Felt wonderful when I could fit into a size 2, but then I lost all my friends because I was not their "eating buddy anymore", went back to work (my own business as a photographer). Now I work all the time. If I'm not busy, I'm eating or crying. I am guilty of not being true, and I just feel horrible about that. I have 4 daughters and I don't let them or my husband come near me. No hugs, no kisses! My weight is going up. So far 10 pounds, the last I knew. Meds don't work. I think I have gone insane! No help for me.

I am so sorry, it isn't fun losing your friends, it seems it happens to me alot...for not apparent reason........

People are selfish. I am praying for you. thankyou for sharing. take care,Gina
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by finngal
Good mornin' all...

It is beautiful here in s FL which makes it a bit easier to come to work and stick with low-carb induction (again!)...

spirits are pretty good!

Hope the same for you...

I'm gonna check out those links, ginaleanne - thanks!

Keep in touch,
~finngal

Hello finngal, how are you? did you get a chance to look at the links....I am not doing so good today, I lost a good friend.....take care,Gina
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabByFifty
GinaLeanne,
Hi I was reading the post and came across yours. Paxil is an anti-depressant that is not one that you can take yourself off of. I was on it because of a tragedy in my life a while back. The doctor would not take me off of it, so I tried to stop taking it myself. I became suicidal! I am not suicidal and it scared the daylights out of me. I changed doctors, the next one weaned me off of them.
I am not saying they don't work, they do, just don't take yourself off of them if you are taking them!
Good Luck
Brenda

Hi, yes I heard that about the drug......I heard the withdrawal is terrible.....I am sorry that happened to you. I have been taking it for a month....I am going to try to go off of it now, before it is too late, thanks for sharing..Gina