Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-17, 14:01

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I have read a couple articles that things like lemons, pickles and apple cider vinegar help to naturally stimulate insulin production and lower BG - anyone know if there is any truth to that notion?

EDIT: Ok, I ran down to the corner market and got a jar of Claussen kosher dill spears and had 3 of them with a light lunch (2 slices of Boars Head Everroast chicken wrapped up with a slice of American cheese. BG was 121 and an hour and a half later its 102.. a low I never had before except an hour and a half after aerobic exercise. I must repeat this test.

Last edited by TucsonBill : Wed, Aug-16-17 at 19:38.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 03:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I think quite a few of us use ACV, but I'm terrible at remembering to take it so have no reliable BG results to share. It definitely suppresses my appetite.

There is a thread on Vinegar as nature's Metformin, the Amy Berger article in it is very good,http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2014/1...of-vinegar.html
and Dr Fung is a big fan.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472620

The plan I follow has a limit on Dill pickles, no sugar, up to two servings a day. Lemon and lime juice is limited to only 2 teaspoons/day. You're a big guy...3 pickles would likely be fine.

Dill pickle roll-ups are great for a portable lunch.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-17-17 at 11:25.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 06:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't know if apple cider vinegar is special or not, compared to other vinegars--but there are studies showing acetic acid in vinegar can have good effects, which is good, because I only like plain "white" vinegar. Funny use of the word white.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 07:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Interesting regarding ACV in that the brands that contain the "mother" like Bragg, are raw, unfiltered and contain supposedly healthy enzymes that other brands don't contain. I use it on salads and some meat dishes liberally. I was drinking water with a tblsp. of Bragg ACV, but I as well don't do this as often as I used to. This approach was also used to eliminate GERD, and I'm sure it helps, but since I no longer have GERD, I can't vouch for the effectiveness of this home remedy.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 07:44

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm a heavy user. I buy in gallons. I'm not sure about the health benefits but I love the sour. At one point I was Bragg's only, then started cutting it, now just use plain old store bought ACV. Bragg's in deliciously flavorfilled drunk straight but so expensive. If you're doing ACV for it's claimed, "miracle pro-macrobiotic enzymey microNUTRIENT, age reversing, wrinkle removing, gastro beneficial, wunderkind magic elixir like properties", try a small bottle of it. It's likely not much will happen but it will also probably not kill you.

And remember, Bragg's #1 claim is that, and I quote from the website: "Helps remove body sludge toxins"

toxins. pfft.

Good Luck!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 08:08

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sludge. pffft
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 08:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
And remember, Bragg's #1 claim is that, and I quote from the website: "Helps remove body sludge toxins"

toxins. pfft.

Sludge toxins - double pfft.

I haven't found any OTC type diabetes "cure" to help at all. I've tried the apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, chromium, & other things I can't recall. They have either done nothing at all or have given me some weird, uncomfortable side effects.

I'll stick with my Dr. Bernstein diet - low carb, medium protein, medium to high fat. No weird or uncomfortable side effects.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 09:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Studies I've seen show vinegar helping with the glucose response to meals, that's probably not relevant to low carb eaters--there is stuff showing nighttime vinegar reducing morning glucose, that seems more likely to be important to low carbers, but again the studies will be in people on "normal" diets.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 15:23

BF:

Well, I got my results...

I figured if a couple of pickles was good more would be better. They did suppress my appetite - except for the pickles, I wound up eating all but three of the spears before bedtime. I checked my blood sugar in the morning and it was 131... no big change...

I have a daughter who starts the UofA as a freshman and today was her move-in day at the dorm and she was scheduled for 7am so after a rushed 2 egg breakfast and my last 3 pickle spears we rushed out to get her moved in and I bought another jar of Claussen's, (OMG they are so good!), on my way back home.

I was excited to step on the scale figuring my weight should be down a little since I had such a light lunch, and only pickles for dinner, and was shocked to see I had gained almost 3 pounds! OMG WHAT HAPPENED? LOL!

I figured out there is 330 grams of sodium in EACH SPEAR! Welcome back water weight!

*sigh*

I'll try the ACV but will try to limit the pickles going forward

Bill
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 15:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
I figured out there is 330 grams of sodium in EACH SPEAR! Welcome back water weight!

Not necessarily. I consume a lot of salt - I crave it - but no water weight gain. Low carb seems to take care of it.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 15:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Not necessarily. I consume a lot of salt - I crave it - but no water weight gain. Low carb seems to take care of it.

Well it my have something to do with just "how" overweight I am, and before I started this diet I was dealing with edema. That was one of the first things I noticed after just a week on low carb was that my edema went away. For me, a whole jar of pickles clearly effected my water retention, I know I did not grow another 3 pounds of fat overnight, (but I was consuming a lot of water and pickles)
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 20:59

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

What kind of pickles were they? Sweet or dill?
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 21:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
What kind of pickles were they? Sweet or dill?

Claussen kosher dills:

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-...her-dill-spears

I don't eat ANYTHING sweet right now - I am counting carbs and sticking to less than 20 a day.

Sunday will mark two weeks. Today I started only eating when I actually feel hungry. I did eat 2 eggs for breakfast just because I had to help my daughter move into the dorm and did not want to suddenly be starving in the process. I came home and had two of the chicken cheese roll-ups, (~2 carbs each) and skipped dinner - I just don't feel hungry but I have felt great all day!

Bill
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 13:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dill & sage cause me mild allergic reactions (hives & stuffed up sinuses) that are inflammatory and cause me to hold onto water weight more than what the salt alone would cause. I still have pickles on occasion because I like them, but don't go overboard. But knowing it was just the pickles, and not a failure of the diet causing the weight gain, makes it easy to use it as a learning experience to help keep on track. In the olden days I would have gone off the diet and eaten tons of junk.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 14:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health

We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 liters (or quarts) of the stuff, and each liter weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2-liter range. Within this range, your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a liter above or below its ideal fluid level.

What this means is that we all live inside a 4-pound-wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (i.e., plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve ‘gained’ 3 pounds for no apparent reason.

For people who weigh themselves frequently, this can be maddening. There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weigh yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day, and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week (i.e., the average or mean of 7 values). If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new mean over the last 7 days. Each day you do this, you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation.

And of course, for [free] there’s an iPhone ‘App’ that will do this for you

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (pp. 241-242). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

Pickles? Or working in the heat? Lugging boxes from car to room?
Whatever, you know you didn't gain 3 pounds of fat.