Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-17, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Dr. Westman No Nuts or Almonds

I have been following Dr. Westman's rules for low carb eating. I do not have problems sticking to it.

The one thing I miss is almonds. Can someone shed some light into why you cannot have nuts or almonds? Do they stall weight loss? Is it portion control (some people cannot eat just a few)?

I've thought about having a handful of almonds to see what ahppens, but I'm afraid. :-)

Everything is going good for me. The weight is coming off and I do not feel hungry all the time.

Just wondering...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-17, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I eat almonds and pecans as snacks. I also use almond flour for baking. No problem.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-17, 20:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

If you are able to measure out a serving of nuts/almonds - whatever you have determined is a serving size for you; mine is about 1/3 cup - and put the jar back in the cupboard, and forget it til tomorrow or next week, you will probably be OK. I can do this, but I know from reading in this forum that not everybody can. If an open jar/bag of nuts won't allow you to leave it alone until it is empty I would definitely not even invite the thing into the house.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 04:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you are asking about Dr Westman's clinic rules, you are right on both accounts. 1. Any and all nuts are "Moreish" (hard to control portion for majority) and 2. They are high in calories.
So for the obese, diabetic, and insulin resistant patients he has, and who were recruited for his early clinical trials...the rule is No Nuts.

But as a patient if you want to add nuts, and he can't talk you out of it (when I said needed nuts for crunch, he told me to eat celery ) his response often is to then try adding whatever food you miss, and we will see how you have done at the next appointment.
If you continued to move toward your goal, lucky you. If you didn't then you would be encouraged to remove "x food". One of the secrets of any clinic diet is to give the patient some autonomy...some little way, usually not critical to the outcome, that the patient owns the plan and is in control of the results. Eating nuts is not a "cheat", this is Your Diet. Have some almonds and if you gain weight this month...then you know what you need to do for you.

Keep close track of your weight or waist size...seeing the progress you have made so far may dampen the craving for nuts

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-08-17 at 05:04.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks for the responses...It looks like I can try it and see what happens...I do not plan to eat very often...just every once in a while..

Thanks again.