Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 10:19

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Anyone move South and...

find their SAD is resolved?

Just curious since soon I'll be trying to figure out where I want to buy a retirement home, and I'm wondeirng if it actually helps to move south of Atlanta. I want to figure out the best place to invest for my health and well being so I can invest while the market's good.

(hope everyone is well)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-13, 11:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Interesting question, though I'm not qualified to answer on SAD. I use to work in London and literally not see daylight all work week during the winter, and it didn't bother me then, 30 years ago, too young to know better. However now, I do feel healthier when we have clear sunny days to walk outside over dreary ones. Can't imagine living again in New England where I was raised, and dont even like visiting northern cities in the winter..the earlier darkness bothers me now.

Also read all those retirement guides which rank cities on parks and recreation facilities. Bike-friendly?, greenway and trails?, indoor pools? golf? whatever you can foresee yourself doing to keep active year round. Are there Farmer's Markets and access to fresh foods? Good Medical care? Health and well-being is not just the sunshine. I've read many of these types of guides, and enjoyed the unique focus of What Color is my Parachute for Retirement? Yes, the author has grown old with us and is applying his skills to a new area
If you find a good place, let us know. We keep looking, but more sun and warmth hasn't trumped these other attributes yet

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Mar-02-13 at 06:09.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 07:57

Yeah, and this weekend a friend brought up the humidity of living further South on the east coast...Ugh! I hate the humidity. Even when it's humid in the winter, it bothers me.

But I did notice when I lived in Richmond (now in NoVA), I'd feel my mood lifting in mid March. Here just 100 miles north, I dont really start feeling good until April.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 08:10

Plan: Keto/ProperHumanDiet
Stats: 154.0/120.0/120.0 Female  5'4"
BF:==%
Progress: 100%
Default Light therapy?

Hi, I noticed your post and wondered if you've tried light therapy to get you thru the winters until you can retire some place else. I first got my light therapy box when I lived on the coast where it rained constantly and it saved my life. I live now where we have long cold winters with very short summers and I use my box every winter. Just sitting two feet from my box for 30 min. in the mornings makes a world of difference. I've suffered from SAD by the way for about the last 10 years. You need at least a dose of 10,000 lux which is how the light is measured. I got mine from 'alaska northern lights' but I'm sure you can find one any place. Just wanted to mention this to you in case you haven't tried it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-13, 08:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone

Yeah, and this weekend a friend brought up the humidity of living further South on the east coast...Ugh! I hate the humidity. Even when it's humid in the winter, it bothers me.

That rather nixes all states in the Southeast! Barrier islands like Hilton Head or Charleston are dripping in the summer, sea breeze not withstanding. Going to the Southern mountains may be slightly less humid, but then again cold and gray in the winter. Asheville claims to have a unique micro-climate, somewhat less hot and humid than the Piedmont or coast and not so snowy like Boone. We looked in Phoenix, but the brown desert just did not appeal to us.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-13, 11:28

Yes, I've been using a light box since 1999. I've had SAD most of my life. Fibro for about 25 yrs. Thanks for the suggestion. I do maintain, but still can feel it and wonder what it'd be like to never have think about it again.

I've pretty much settled on NC just so I have longer springs and falls unless I can come up with something else b/t then and now.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-13, 14:32

Plan: Keto/ProperHumanDiet
Stats: 154.0/120.0/120.0 Female  5'4"
BF:==%
Progress: 100%
Default Glad....

Glad you found the lightbox but I agree with living some place where it is much warmer and more daylight, longer days and seasons. I'm headed in a few years back up to the coast where there's more rain but much warmer temps, longer springs and summers and I can opt to live a little out of town up in the mountains in the sun! Good luck with your retirement search!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-13, 16:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

In S. CA. we don't have the humidity like they do in the South, but July - Sept can be quite warm, depending where you live.