Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#961   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 09:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
ok i see it. first month free, $39 / month, $429 / year.

Though I stand corrected...the first Tab on the Website is Join FREE community and that links to FB, the second tab is Join our Programs, and under that is Membership Community.

But to get IDM's emails, join the "Stay Updated" with an email. We were discussing, they have recently ramped up the number of Sales Promo Emails and what Glenda linked is from today's.

Note: I can't see what benefit they are selling with the Membership Community...the FB group has Resources and Fasting Tips in the Files and their Moderators lead a few different protocols each week.
Sponsored Links
  #962   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 10:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The most recent Q&A with Megan email I received offered a free month (no obligation) and then $39 a month ongoing. I'm not sure I could benefit from being a member, so I won't use a free month. However, $39 a month is a great deal for those who are getting started with a new dietary lifestyle due to T2D or have health problems including being overweight. The program is sound, and the results speak for themselves. We are seeing new businesses starting up to address this problem with Virta, HEAL Clinics, and IDM being the options today with each having a different business model. I'm probably missing some others, but this is a good sign for those who need solid information and personal interaction to adopt a healthy WOE. DietDoctor.com is an excellent option as well for self-starters.
  #963   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 10:32

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
This was in an email this morning. On IDM website https://idmprogram.com , complete Stay Updated to receive them.
^ ok - found this! Thank you.

Last edited by s93uv3h : Sun, Aug-12-18 at 10:40.
  #964   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 19:22
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I joined the FB Group, but left. Too many notifications, even though I turned them off. They were clogging me up. I believe the group is too large to be effective.
  #965   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 02:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Facebook a crazy place! I only get a notification if I have posted on a "thread" or whatever FB calls it, so none for Obesity Code. You should join Kristie Sullivan’s Page with almost 170,000 members...it moves at the speed of light ...but seriously worth it for recipes and inspiration with #transformation Tuesday and #faceliftfriday if I answer a question there, I prepare for an onslaught of 50 more comment notifications. No fasting, but they follow Dr Westman's "eat when hungry".
The Obesity Code FB Page is worth following if you want to try different fasting protocols, beginner to advanced...the moderators do post different versions each week...and all the rules and tips are in the Files.
  #966   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 05:43

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Insulin is harmful and the reason we’re “resisting” it (otherwise known as Insulin resistance) is because our body is trying to protect our liver.

Picture the liver as a balloon, and when we eat it fills up with fat and sugar. When we stop eating for awhile, like during fasting, the insulin levels drop, releasing some of the stored energy and deflating the balloon.

But if insulin levels stay elevated for a long time, the balloon (your liver) inflates - filling with excess sugar and fat. The pressure inside the liver escalates, which makes it difficult for any more sugar to make its way into this jam-packed liver. The liver doesn’t have any room for more sugar, and so pushes (or resists) the incoming sugar, which now piles up outside in the blood.... http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...0&postcount=953

I'm thinking of offering this explanation to a diabetic I know, two perhaps, but both have had conventional diabetic teaching and trust their doctors. One, in particular, gained 30 lbs when she was put on insulin and has been unable to lose it. I never had diabetic teaching because I knew I would be rejecting it anyway so I'm not familiar with what they say.

I've read all, or perhaps nearly all, of Dr. Fung's blog and watched all of his You Tube series on obesity/diabetes and it all makes sense to me.

But could he be wrong? What would conventional doctors say as to how/why he is wrong?

(Thanks Janet, for posting that YouTube link.)
  #967   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 06:05
Doing My Best

When I adopted the Fung Protocol in 2015, his was "the only game in town." Now, many more medical doctors are advocating fasting and abandoning the old teachings.

Since most of the diets followed on this forum can be described as Keto, I've expanded the range of my searches and found that brain and neurological dis-eases are being treated effectively with ketogenic diets.
Cross post from my journal:
Quote:
More proof that the Ketogenic types of diets aid in all the neurological disorders. I'm putting in the link, even though the medical terminology makes it difficult for us lay people to understand.

The article is called "Ketogenic diets, mitochondria, and neurological diseases"
http://www.jlr.org/content/55/11/2211.full

Change takes time, and undeniable proof exists already that the nutritional teachings of the past 50 years have only made humans fatter and sicker.

Change takes time, and I don't care what conventional doctors say. I'm 73 and healthy and I'm proof. n=1
  #968   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 07:14

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I'm thinking of offering this explanation to a diabetic I know, two perhaps, but both have had conventional diabetic teaching and trust their doctors. One, in particular, gained 30 lbs when she was put on insulin and has been unable to lose it. I never had diabetic teaching because I knew I would be rejecting it anyway so I'm not familiar with what they say.

I've read all, or perhaps nearly all, of Dr. Fung's blog and watched all of his You Tube series on obesity/diabetes and it all makes sense to me.

But could he be wrong? What would conventional doctors say as to how/why he is wrong?

(Thanks Janet, for posting that YouTube link.)

WHen ever I present a new view or new option, the face of th doctor goes completely blank. I have seen this a lot lately. Frustrating. No interest in discussing, just want it to go away and move on in the appointment. Doctors really are not students of medicine.... most anyway. Dictating protocol is about their speed. So nothing ventured, nothing gained, just expect nothing, but keep perservering. We will prevail !
  #969   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 07:18

BF:

Quote:
The article is called "Ketogenic diets, mitochondria, and neurological diseases"
http://www.jlr.org/content/55/11/2211.full

As I read this I am still irked by the statement that KD is the alternative when a standard treatment fails.... KD should be th FIRST option. "DO NO HARM"

SOme day this will change. Diet will be the first option to change ones health.
  #970   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 09:38

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Been slowly reading this thread; I'm only up to page 6. Think I've been unintentionally doing a version of IF for years now - that is, not eating my first meal (except for a coffee or tea) many days until sometime in the later part of the afternoon. Rarely do I manage to get in three squares a day. It's usually two.

Yesterday I deliberately put off eating until 14:00. I know I *could* have extended it to 18:00, but I was genuinely hungry and my body was so happy after my ~400 cal meal. I didn't feel like eating again until 22:00, when I had a nice steak and roasted veggies. And that's usually the case - I eat my last meal only an hour or two before going to sleep, which seems to be frowned upon. But I don't want to eat earlier, when I'm not yet hungry. I think it's important for me to not eat when I'm not hungry.

Anyway, after my late lunch me and my body were soooo happy. I had so much energy; my mood was so good.

Thanks to Janet for the early postings in this thread to the Wayback Machine captures of Dr. Fung's IF program circa ?2013?. I read them all.

Dr. Fung did not permit bouillon as an acceptable beverage during one's fast. Why not? I understand that bone broth is superior to bouillon, just like grass fed and -finished beef is superior to meat from CAFO farmed animals -- but isn't it better to follow the protocol, having the occasional cup or two of bouillon, than not to do it at all because you don't feel like making bone broth? Like it's better to go LC and buy meat sourced from conventionally-raised animals than not to go LC because you can't afford the price of meat from pastured animals? ALL or NOTHING has sort of been a problem for me - perfectionism, you know.

I've got some really delicious concentrates (Savory Choice concentrates in beef, chicken and turkey flavors, and Edward & Sons Garden Veggie Cubes) also "Better than Bouillon" concentrates (which I keep in the fridge) which aren't as tasty as a beverage, but are handy for making soups; all have goodly amounts of sodium. I never have enough beef bones to make a proper beef stock, but I did recently source a butcher that consistently has beef bones from well raised animals, often fresh (just ask), but also frozen. But whenever I make bone broth (last time from chicken bones), it looks disgusting and unappetizing and pretty much ends up sitting in my fridge until I throw it out.

Anyway, I'm contemplating adding a 24 hour fast here and there - maybe once a fortnight? Haven't done a true fast in years. Then I followed the protocol of Dr Paavo Airola, who recommended (in addition to water) tisanes, vegetable broth (delicious and much faster to make) and diluted fruit and vegetable juices (I forget the ratio of juice to water), plus dry brush massage of the skin, and daily water enemas. That protocol was not difficult, but I kept sneaking in the occasional cracker or Cheeto, hahaha, wasn't very disciplined. I can't remember what my longest fast was, but I'm sure it wasn't more than a week.
  #971   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 10:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The rationale behind avoiding broth or even coffee during a complete water-fast is based on even small amounts of amino acids shutting down autophagy (or keeping it from being initiated). From what I can tell, that's just bad science.

Studies showing autophagy shutting down with mild levels of amino acids involve cells-in-a-petri-dish and such. Yes, micrograms of amino acids can be relevant, there.

In the human body? Your gut is exposed to almost as much endogenous protein as dietary protein over the course of the day--at least if you're eating somewhere around standard protein requirements. It's possible the polyphenols, or the caffeine in coffee, or something, will alter a fast in a significant way. But micrograms, or a gram or two of protein from broth, is basically a non-event.

I think Dr. Fung's right about enough things to reverse a lot of diabetes. The fasting for autophagy stuff? Gotta go with somebody like Valter Longo--he gets relevant feedback in the way of measurement of effects on immune and various other sorts of stem cell. Like I said, I might be suspicious of even black coffee, just not for the teeny amounts of protein.
  #972   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 12:53
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The rationale behind avoiding broth or even coffee during a complete water-fast is based on even small amounts of amino acids shutting down autophagy (or keeping it from being initiated). From what I can tell, that's just bad science.

Studies showing autophagy shutting down with mild levels of amino acids involve cells-in-a-petri-dish and such. Yes, micrograms of amino acids can be relevant, there.

In the human body? Your gut is exposed to almost as much endogenous protein as dietary protein over the course of the day--at least if you're eating somewhere around standard protein requirements. It's possible the polyphenols, or the caffeine in coffee, or something, will alter a fast in a significant way. But micrograms, or a gram or two of protein from broth, is basically a non-event.

I think Dr. Fung's right about enough things to reverse a lot of diabetes. The fasting for autophagy stuff? Gotta go with somebody like Valter Longo--he gets relevant feedback in the way of measurement of effects on immune and various other sorts of stem cell. Like I said, I might be suspicious of even black coffee, just not for the teeny amounts of protein.
But Teaser, Longo advocates low protein. Low protein? Have you ever looked, really looked, at the musculature of old women? The back of my forearms look wasted. Despite my exercise, my calf muscles are slipping down my legs. If exercise doesn't work and eating protein doesn't work, where does that leave women like me? What good does it do to live longer if we're too weak to function?
  #973   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 13:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
But Teaser, Longo advocates low protein. Low protein? Have you ever looked, really looked, at the musculature of old women? The back of my forearms look wasted. Despite my exercise, my calf muscles are slipping down my legs. If exercise doesn't work and eating protein doesn't work, where does that leave women like me? What good does it do to live longer if we're too weak to function?

Glenda - Ted Naiman has a talk on dietdoctor advocating high protein. Makes sense to me. He went through a lot of stuff really fast but the final conclusion is higher protein is better and definitely not dangerous. Towards the end he even has some interesting info about high protein and maintenance which appears to be a successful strategy for maintenance. I think I'm going to up my protein a bit.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-ted-n...rich-in-protein
  #974   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 14:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

Have you considerd hormone replacement therapy??? The amount of testosterone for women is much lower than men, to restore our muscle strength, not the high level that puts on big muscles. Yes, we women do have testosterone as our normal make up.As we age, the level drops.
  #975   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 14:43
Doing My Best

MsA, I never even considered taking testosterone as I still have my ovaries. It's something to discuss with my OBGYN.

Jean, the only thing that bothers me is that almost nobody addresses elderly women in their studies. Longo supposedly specializes in gerontology. Sigh. I think they're all guessing.