Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 10:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

DH and I learned never to shop while hungry. NEVER. We stop at McD's for a burger if need be. That is general shopping.

If a craving hits at home, I have learned to have options available that I can make up quickly. I do not keep them on hand.

Also cravings, for me, have almost nearly disappeared. I remember Atkins saying if you get a craving, look at the foods recently eaten. Look for a trigger food.

These were all lessons learned the hard way. Slip ups happen. they are learning opportunities.

I like LCHF living better than SAD. I never return to SAD for long. LCHF = Sleep better, clearer thinking, better breathing. ETC.

What did YOU learn from this experience?? And what solution will you apply the next time??
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 06:43

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
Do you ever slipup? Or what changed inside of you to where you don't cheat anymore?

If you can concretely define "slipup" I can give you an honest answer based on your definition. I think Kristine gave a good answer in that she refuses to call them slips or what ever, just "choices" if I recall.

Then there's the "cheat" word - It many threads, and I hope I've been consistent, I don't understand what cheat means in a personal dietary context. Cheating implies deception. I don't get it.

As a former drinker I hear the same language used - not so much cheating, but some mention "slipping" the way I understand it is this means that they have vowed to be celibate from alcohol and they knowingly drank alcohol. It's fairly back and white with alcohol as it's a single, and mostly regulated, compound. So I guess slipping in this contexts means that a vow had been broken and they have taken it back up (celibacy from alcohol) This is not a sin nor something to admonish ones self for in my view. It just is what happened. It was a choice - What let up to that choice is a different matter of discussion and a different topic. Which leads me to your last, most interesting question that I think I can answer straight forwardly...

You asked, "...what changed inside of you to where you don't cheat anymore?"

Let's substitue "cheat" for "eat sugar" any more and make it easier, I still eat junky food sometimes, pork rind with flavoring are junky food, 100 percent bakers chocolate is junky food, if it's even food, sour cream is junky food, stevia erythritol is junky food, flavored peanuts are junky food, flavored almonds are junky food, chili paste is junky food, Atkins bars are junky food, Quest bars are junky food, I could go on and on about the stuff I eat and ate that I consider junky food.

But, At some point when I dropped the idea that there was some magic goal weight that I should be and that my life would be soooo much betterrrr at and that if I could fit into my high school jeans again everything would be so perfect and always be that way, when I let go of the personal, deep, sadness I felt about not being able to stuff my hole with donuts, ice cream, pizza, Pad Thai, reeses cups, milk shakes, big macs, baconators, sushi, sticky rice, croisantswiches, breakfast wraps, more pizza and ice cream, etc., etc., etc.,

When I decided I wasn't going to eat sugar, grains or potatoes today and that the number that showed up on the scale when I stepped on it was just fine for today (it's the only number it could be) and the knowledge that if I felt the urge to eat shit, that if I didn't feed it with mental proliferation of the future deliciousness of it and that it, like all other thoughts; pass. Is the day I was liberated.

I have the option of liberating myself each day. When my mind mulls on the past, I try to bring it forward, when it starts cogitating on the future, it try to rein it back to now.

"Now, right now, is the only time you can do anything about your future" - that's from some monk. It's helpful to know this is true.

So, hopefully with my over wordy, misssspelled, ungramatically corrected rambling you get an idea of what goes on in my head. We don't eat in the past, we don't eat in the future. There is no never; there is no forever - so, if your looking for a bright spot, you DON'T have to eat low carb forever... because you can't. You eat High Carb, No Carb or LoW Carb only at your next meal. Otherwize your just on a fast.

and PS, I HAVE eaten sugar since I started Low Carbing... LOTS OF IT to experiment and see what happens to my body and see if I enjoyed eating it. Not much happened to my body in a short time and I really DID enjoy diving right in but I found that it was an empty hole of eating with no resolution. Look for yourself. Feel free to PM me any question you might have about the living document below...

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 06:48
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Dear thud123, you've now joined Just Jo as one of my heroes on this forum. Perfect response. Thank you.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 07:17

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Great responses! I am lucky in a way, that I developed type II diabetes from my old way of eating. So I can never return to that diet or I will suffer permanent damage to my eyes and kidneys or lose my feet or toes. I do eat carbs sometimes and as soon as I start to feel terrible I remember that was how I felt all the time before. When my blood sugar is in a good range I feel great! Happy, energized. When it's high, I drag, want to take a nap, very down and unhappy.

For the most part, LC food is what I crave. It took a long time, but my tastes have changed. DH still eats SAD and some of the things he eats are things I used to love....pizza, onion rings.....they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Just keep picking yourself up and getting back on plan and eventually you will have no desire to "cheat." That food will just not appeal to you anymore.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 07:24

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Before I quit cigarettes 20 years ago I read somewhere that cravings only last about 3 minutes and then disappear. I figured I could sit with a craving for 3 minutes. Of course the craving will come back but the same thing applies, 3 minutes. The craving arises and then it departs. The space between cravings lengthens and lengthens until it's virtually a non-issue.

When I had cravings for carby junk I did something similar. I told myself I was not my cravings and I just watched the cravings come and then depart. If I don't give the cravings any energy then they don't hang around. The length of time between the cravings lengthened until it became virtually a non-issue for me.

Of course for this to work you have to be totally convinced that giving up the junk is critical, crucial, to what you want to achieve be it your health or your appearance or your longevity, or all three. In other words, faith and continual practice does the trick, kinda like religion .
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 08:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Before I quit cigarettes 20 years ago I read somewhere that cravings only last about 3 minutes and then disappear. I figured I could sit with a craving for 3 minutes. Of course the craving will come back but the same thing applies, 3 minutes. The craving arises and then it departs. The space between cravings lengthens and lengthens until it's virtually a non-issue.

When I had cravings for carby junk I did something similar. I told myself I was not my cravings and I just watched the cravings come and then depart. If I don't give the cravings any energy then they don't hang around. The length of time between the cravings lengthened until it became virtually a non-issue for me.

Of course for this to work you have to be totally convinced that giving up the junk is critical, crucial, to what you want to achieve be it your health or your appearance or your longevity, or all three. In other words, faith and continual practice does the trick, kinda like religion .

Thanks for sharing this Jean. Now I can understand why my carb cravings are gone for the most part , like never before.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201.2/195.2/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

"Now, right now, is the only time you can do anything about your future" - that's from some monk. It's helpful to know this is true.

Thank you. Not just for this quote (I didn't want to copy everything for ease of reading) but for your whole post. Words of wisdom.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 08:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
Great responses! I am lucky in a way, that I developed type II diabetes from my old way of eating. So I can never return to that diet or I will suffer permanent damage to my eyes and kidneys or lose my feet or toes. I do eat carbs sometimes and as soon as I start to feel terrible I remember that was how I felt all the time before. When my blood sugar is in a good range I feel great! Happy, energized. When it's high, I drag, want to take a nap, very down and unhappy.

For the most part, LC food is what I crave. It took a long time, but my tastes have changed. DH still eats SAD and some of the things he eats are things I used to love....pizza, onion rings.....they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Just keep picking yourself up and getting back on plan and eventually you will have no desire to "cheat." That food will just not appeal to you anymore.

You chose to act on that diagnosis. you took action to change your future. We all need to do this.

Talked to a friend last night that I havent seen for a while. SHe is a bit older than I but not much. Because of neuropathy in her feet, she did not feel the broken bone. Her foot bones are weakening, and breakig. She moves around in a cart a Walmart to shop as she is now not walking well as both feet dont match. And she cannot drive now either. All preventable. I talked to her over a year ago about changing her diet and spent a bit of time explaining a better way of eating. No changes. Lots of excuses. While we talked, I realized she is another person I know who is running toward diabetes as fast as they can. ANd I will not invest my emotional sympathy. It drains me and doesnt help them.

I focus on helping my kids eat better and explain why this food choice is good or bad...... for their future health. That is where my energy goes. Knowing both kids can avoid a hundred diseases by choosing well now. ANd I too can avoid these by choosing well now, too. Before those issues get a foot hold.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Aug-04-18 at 09:38.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

But, At some point when I dropped the idea that there was some magic goal weight that I should be and that my life would be soooo much betterrrr at and that if I could fit into my high school jeans again everything would be so perfect and always be that way, when I let go of the personal, deep, sadness I felt about not being able to stuff my hole with donuts, ice cream, pizza, Pad Thai, reeses cups, milk shakes, big macs, baconators, sushi, sticky rice, croisantswiches, breakfast wraps, more pizza and ice cream, etc., etc., etc.,

When I decided I wasn't going to eat sugar, grains or potatoes today and that the number that showed up on the scale when I stepped on it was just fine for today (it's the only number it could be) and the knowledge that if I felt the urge to eat shit, that if I didn't feed it with mental proliferation of the future deliciousness of it and that it, like all other thoughts; pass. Is the day I was liberated.

I have the option of liberating myself each day. When my mind mulls on the past, I try to bring it forward, when it starts cogitating on the future, it try to rein it back to now.

So, hopefully with my over wordy, misssspelled, ungramatically corrected rambling you get an idea of what goes on in my head. We don't eat in the past, we don't eat in the future. There is no never; there is no forever - so, if your looking for a bright spot, you DON'T have to eat low carb forever... because you can't. You eat High Carb, No Carb or LoW Carb only at your next meal. Otherwize your just on a fast.

and PS, I HAVE eaten sugar since I started Low Carbing... LOTS OF IT to experiment and see what happens to my body and see if I enjoyed eating it. Not much happened to my body in a short time and I really DID enjoy diving right in but I found that it was an empty hole of eating with no resolution. Look for yourself. Feel free to PM me any question you might have about the living document below...

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

This is excellent stuff. Great post and i know when I was locked in on keto and got to my lowest weight I had a similar mindset as you talk about here.