Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 08:39

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%
Default Thick n Thin

what is in it and what is is the diff in the No Starch Vs No Sugar? it says it is gums but what type?

do you guys know? I looked it up and can not find the actual ingredients.
Is it Xanthum gum? or a mixture?

Is it found in a store or is it just online? I find Netrition to be completely out of line with pricing so I refuse to buy from them. That is the only place I have seen it. But have not made an extensive search either. Anyone find it in stores so I can look at the package maybe?

it is probably obviously listed some place and I am just missing it! that is very likely

I have plenty of Xanthum gum and can get my hands of guar gum and carageenen if that is what is in it. I find is just too darn expensive (on Netrition) and I am hard pressed to believe I can not combine my own at home in quantities needed?

please enlighten me

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 09:25
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I use thick and thin, most comments I've seen point out that thick and thin doesn't clump as easily as gum! I use it in gravy's and stir fry's, love it. I have had great service from Netrition.com, hard to beat there $4.95 delivery fee! I've ordered probably 10 times from them, very nice company to deal with I had a problem with some product being delivered crushed, no problem, received replacements a couple days later! Best of luck finding a mix, but I have to tell you, you use so little it lasts a very long time! Not worth the hassle to figure it out if you ask me! Best of luck, as I was typing this I just got notice that my latest order is shipping out this morning, ordered at 10 pm last night! Hard to beat good service even if it costs a little! I find on most stuff there prices are very much inline. Best of luck, let us know if you get it figured out..Bru
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 09:37

thanks for the word on Netrition. I am not dissing them they are just way too expensive for me when there are so many other price options out there for the same things. I know lots of folks like it but I frankly do not want to spend $16 and a $4.95 shipping fee for bag of something I am likely to use a spoon of once in a great while. I imagine if you use it all the time it would be worth it. I use home made sofrito or heavy cream to thicken most gravies and sauces.

would anyone mind posting the actual ingredients so I can see what is in it?
and would someone mind telling me what in the ingredients makes No Sugar different No starch?

thanks so much again
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 09:46
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

http://www.netrition.com/expert_foo...tarch_page.html

Netrition.com has the ingredients listed under nutritional facts;

Ingredients: Vegetable gums (acacia, guar, carob, xanthan).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 10:09

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I find the Expert Foods (the manufacturer of those products) website useful: http://www.expertfoods.com/

There are lots of recipes to use as a starting point and alter, along with basic info about the products.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 10:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDelight
thanks for the word on Netrition. I am not dissing them they are just way too expensive for me when there are so many other price options out there for the same things. I know lots of folks like it but I frankly do not want to spend $16 and a $4.95 shipping fee for bag of something I am likely to use a spoon of once in a great while. I imagine if you use it all the time it would be worth it. I use home made sofrito or heavy cream to thicken most gravies and sauces.

would anyone mind posting the actual ingredients so I can see what is in it?
and would someone mind telling me what in the ingredients makes No Sugar different No starch?

thanks so much again

We used to have a low carb store in town and it charged a lot more than Netrition did for stuff. I also doubt you'll find it on a store shelf anywhere.

All those Thick N Thin, not Sugar products are made from a mixture of gums. Presumably different gums in different proportions for different applications. I think Island Girl really likes those products. I always figured, why not just use the individual gums and save money? But really, I never got around to experimenting with them all that much.

Also, you'll probably find Xantham gum if you look hard for it. It's pretty expensive, like $12 for a small package. But the thing is, you use so little of these things it'll last you a life time. For instance, you might use 1/4 tsp of the xantham gum. Same with the Thick N Thin.

Overall, I think Netrition is pretty good with the prices and shipping charges when I've compared with other sites.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 14:03
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

IIRC, Kevinpa spent some time trying to replicate not/Starch and not/Sugar. I don't remember seeing a recipe posted anywhere, so I'm not sure whether he ever succeeded in that endeavor.

I like Thick-n-thin a lot, much more than the individual gums. In most instances, I believe, they are pretty much interchangeable.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 14:47

I have Xanthum gum (I found it in bulk at a local COOP and just bought a few tbls so it was like a buck!) at home and guar (I found some I had hidden in the cupboard)

I am not thinking there is any reason I need to buy this product to be honest

I just saw a couple of recipes that called for about a pinch in it and figure if I use what I have it should work

I am still curious about the difference or the point in No starch vs No sugar? if they are both the same gums?

I use Xanthum gum only in frostings for low carb cakes that is it. when I am making food I do not like to add ingredients that do not give you bennies so I do thicken sauces from food not gums to add more vits! but am always open to learning and if this is something really good I am missing out on or would make my recipes better I should try it!

or

is this something I can live with out?

I am just not sure about $20 purchase for something I can at least closely recreate with what I have?
thanks so much!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 14:55

I did not even know there was such a thing as a low carb store? I use a coop and really they get whatever I need in bulk and I can buy what I want. Aslo there are tons of online sources where things are much less expensive than Netrition. but they may not be "low carb" per se

a lot of single ingredients I buy are from "ethnic" food sites or ethnic markets

really I prefer to go to the store and see things in person but that is just me. I had hoped maybe someplace I could find this so I could put my grubby paws on it before purchase.

I may ask the coop and see if they can get some in

thanks again
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 16:21
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I did not even know there was such a thing as a low carb store? I use a coop and really they get whatever I need in bulk and I can buy what I want. Aslo there are tons of online sources where things are much less expensive than Netrition. but they may not be "low carb" per se

You'd make a lot of people happy if you would share those sources!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You'd make a lot of people happy if you would share those sources!

YIKES I wish I could Nancy, where do I begin?

there would be a huge list of places depending on the things you wanted! Like I said I buy by item as needed but only things I need

for instance I love saffron.com for extracts, vanilla beans (now they are off the charts due to crop failure I hear) and of course saffron but they are not a low carb store just happen to have things I can enjoy in my diet

there are many more like it. Many choices online for nutritional stuff like protien powders ect (I don't use that stuff but for folks who do there are lots of less expensive onlne sources) even amazon.com can sometimes have great buys on things you use regularly.

and really I love to shop in markets. Indian, Hispanic, Asian, Eastern European, you name it! you can find all kinds of very reasonable items that support low carb life. I found carrageenan in a Caribbean market it is also called Irish moss and can thicken things while being quite good for you.

ok Chia seed for one thing I have used it for years and years and realized folks where paying through the nose for little tiny packets of it! I buy a huge 2lb bag for $5 and grind it for flour or use it in a mock bubble tea

Jamaica (loaded with vit C wonderful refreshing to make into a cold or hot drink) is $3/lb in a Mexican Market and when you look at hibiscus tea it is ridiculously priced

I am completely OT here and still a bit confused about the topic's product

I think I will ask the COOP if they can order something like it in bulk and try it

if not

well I can not see the $20 (with shipping) being worth it for this product. I guess if you buy several things from netrition the shipping is a good deal but I like food and my budget is really tight now so I dont want to blow money unless it is going to really make a difference in my recipes

I just wanted to try to see if this was something I could throw together and see if I liked it before investing in another bag of something I would not use
more than one or two times is all

Like I said I am not trying to dis netrition I just refuse to pay that much for the odd item I am likely to buy from them. The erythritol for instance as well is way out of line price wise you can get it all over the net for at least half that! the coconut flour (Indian market for me) and almond flour (Trader Joes) way out of a good price rainge when they are all over the place for less those are about the only things there I would use or buy.

thanks guys if anyone else has a suggestion of a substitute let me know

Last edited by HiDelight : Tue, Jan-27-09 at 06:55.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 08:32
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

A psuedo not/sugar is a work in progress of mine. It took me awhile to find the acacia and carob gum powder but the real bottom line is unless you can find the individual gums cheaper than I did the final product will be just as expensive if not more expensive than the not/sugar itself.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
A psuedo not/sugar is a work in progress of mine. It took me awhile to find the acacia and carob gum powder but the real bottom line is unless you can find the individual gums cheaper than I did the final product will be just as expensive if not more expensive than the not/sugar itself.

ok that point taken

now for someone like me who does not do a great deal of baking (maybe once a week) would the $20 purchase be worth it? only found a recipe or two (one very good sounding brownie) that called for it.

what if I put some Xanthum and Guar gum powder into it instead?

I am not a baker really

I can bake but I am not great at it

would you if you were me buy this product if you had only used a tbl of xanthum gum in the past year? maybe that is a good question?

it is like I am curious to try it but do not want to waste any more food on a chance it will be good ..but if it is good I dont want to miss out either

I still do not know what the dif is in NO starch and NO surger? anyone want to answer or did I miss it?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 15:12
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I still do not know what the dif is in NO starch and NO surger? anyone want to answer or did I miss it?

I think someone pointed you to the Expert Foods web site.

Is there a difference? I have NO idea. They contain the same ingredients so I can only assume they must change the proportions between the two.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 15:23
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

ThickenThin not/Starch Thickener

ThickenThin not/Starch thickener is the perfect thickener for lowcarb or grain-free diets. It recreates the thick rich textures you want without adding calories, fat, or carbohydrates. It even gives you fiber, all of it the soluble fiber that is so hard to get on a restricted diet. (Note: we follow US nutrition label law which requires reporting 4 calories per gram from soluble fiber, even though the human body cannot digest it.)

Suggested uses:

* sauces,
* soups,
* gravies, and
* salad dressings.

ThickenThin not/Starch thickener is easy to use, dissolves directly in hot or cold liquids, and doesn't get lumpy on cooling, even with very thick liquids. In other words, it works for dishes that are served cold, or you can even easily reheat gravy or thick sauces without loss of quality. On the other hand, the fact that it doesn't actually solidify means that it isn't as good as cornstarch for pudding pies or other dishes where you need it to set up firm (see our Wise CHOice Cook-it-up Pudding Mix for the answer to this texture challenge).

Furthermore, we've been discovering that not/Starch has other uses. While using it to give made-from-cauliflower risotto the proper slightly soupy texture (see our Recipes section for recipes mentioned here) is logical, some of the other uses are quite different. For example, we've been using it to make flatbreads or crackers out of nuts and/or seeds. And one of our customers reports using it to improve the texture and melt of her homemade churned ice creams (but it will NOT keep them soft -- nothing available currently does that adequately without adding carbs -- that is why we developed our non-churned Wise CHOice Frozen Dessert Mix).

Directions: Use ThickenThin not/Starch thickener like cornstarch. However, a teaspoon thickens a bit more than one teaspoon of cornstarch, and one tablespoon of not/Starch thickens more like 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch.

ThickenThin not/Sugar

ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener is not a sweetener, it is a thickener that gives the texture of sugar to many sugar-free foods, and can be used with the sweetener of your choice. Use ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener to get that sugary mouth-feel in beverages, jams, cookies and cakes.

* 2 tablespoons replaces a cup of sugar
* All carbs from soluble fiber
* Thickens both hot and cold liquids

ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener is formulated to give the texturizing effect of sugar in beverage and syrup recipes even on lowcarb or other sugar-free diets. not/Sugar is unsweetened to allow you to select the sweeteners of your choice.

Add the sweetener of your choice and recreate the rich mouth-feel of sugar-sweetened beverages--stretch small amounts of fruit and/or dairy into big satisfying shakes. Or add it to your favorite protein shake to add satisfying creaminess -- and fiber.

Yes, this thickener, made from natural vegetable gums, is also a fiber supplement! However, please be assured that, first and foremost, it was designed to be a cooking aid.

Other Uses

To our delight, ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener is also useful in cooking, baking, and candy-making!

It takes only a small stretch of the culinary imagination to see how ThickenThin not/Sugar can help in most "wet" recipes that call for a significant amount of sugar. Not only does it help replace the syrupy thickening of sugar, it also contributes to "mouth-feel" much like sugar does. While we can't say that it will improve everything, so far it has helped every recipe we've tried, except those where the reason for the sugar was to provide browning (caramel syrups, etc.). We especially like using it for fruit spreads (they taste and feel like jam or preserves, but aren't actually preserved without the sugar), cranberry sauce, and for helping marinades cling.

How much to use? That depends on the type of food, but we recommend starting with one eighth the amount of sugar called for in the recipe -- that is two tablespoons per cup -- and see how you like it. (Please don't use more than one tablespoon per serving -- otherwise second helpings could be uncomfortable unless you are accustomed to a lot of fiber.)

"Dry" recipes like baking or candy-making are more variable. As noted above, not/Sugar does not brown, nor does it crystallize (so no pecan pie or topping for creme brulee). On the other hand, it stabilizes meringues without adding sweetness, so it's now possible to make cheese puffs and other savory baked goods.

We recommend that you keep visit our list of recipes for not/Sugar periodically to see our new ones. Also, take a look at the "Lowcarb Recipes Fast and Easy" lowcarb cookbook -- see the Peanut Butter Cookie sample recipe which is one of several that use not/Sugar. (Its author, Belinda Schweinhart, was a professional baker in her pre-lowcarb life -- she clued us in to not/Sugar's usefulness in baking.) If you want to experiment yourself, follow the guidelines above to start with. And, please, tell us about your successes -- we'd be pleased to post your recipe with full credit to its creator.

They are the same stuff they both thicken! Hope this helps it all came from netrition.com! Might be a slight difference in the amounts, but I doubt it...Bru