Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 229/203/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Steak

Could someone tell me if it is possible to cook steak in the oven and if so how .This would be a great help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Yep -- turn your broiler on and let it get hot. Throw your steak onto something to that will catch the fat, put the oven rack as close to the broiler unit as you can, and pretend you are cooking on the grill.

Even better -- get a cast iron skillet, stick it on the highest shelf under the broiler and heat up both the skillet and the broiler. Drop a steak onto the surface of the skillet after it is very hot and stick it under the broiler. No need to turn it. Cook to the desired doneness.

If the skillet is well seasoned that's all you need to do. If not, then first smear the steak with bacon grease or a bit of oil to keep it from sticking.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 12:25

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Mmmm marinated london broil done in the oven under the broiler just like lessliz said on a cast iron skillet. It's delicious and you can eat it for lunch all week long at work.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 12:39

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

Oh, sure NOW you tell us how to do it! We just picked up a new grill this weekend because I couldn't figure out how to make a flavorful steak on the broiler!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 13:38

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm not sure about the oven itself but like the others said....you can sure cook it in the broiler part of the oven. You would want the high heat the broiler offers because it will sear in all the juices. Cooking time, of course, depends on how thick the steak is and how well (or med. rare in my case) you like it done. Even if you're going to cook it in a frying pan on top of the stove......you should let the pan (cast iron works best) get pretty gosh darn hot before you add the steak. This....again...sears the juices in so the end result is a nice juicy steak that melts in your mouth.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 13:47
Registered Member

I withheld the information because I wanted you to get a new grill, Chell.

But if you hang on a few minutes, I'll post a recipe in the main dish forum that will make you love me again. It really only works perfectly on the grill.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 14:01

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Yep -- turn your broiler on and let it get hot. Throw your steak onto something to that will catch the fat, put the oven rack as close to the broiler unit as you can, and pretend you are cooking on the grill.

Even better -- get a cast iron skillet, stick it on the highest shelf under the broiler and heat up both the skillet and the broiler. Drop a steak onto the surface of the skillet after it is very hot and stick it under the broiler. No need to turn it. Cook to the desired doneness.

If the skillet is well seasoned that's all you need to do. If not, then first smear the steak with bacon grease or a bit of oil to keep it from sticking.

You forgot to mention that welding gloves rather than just an ordinary oven mitt is a good idea with the really, really hot cast iron skillet method! Got that hint from Alton Brown when he did steak that way.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 14:06
Registered Member

Never needed them but it is a very good idea to pick up the skillet with both hands in gloves. By spreading the weight over both hands you don't have problems with the weight of the skillet pressing into a glove and transferring heat too quickly.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 16:03

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Oh you fancy people and your oven-mitts.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 16:33
Registered Member

I didn't buy the -- hubby did.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 16:43

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I keep forgetting to buy them.. And then when I finally did remember, we were registering for our wedding..

..So I put them on our registry. LOL!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 04:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just bake steaks, uncovered in a glass baking dish, with bacon slices on them, at 325 for about 45 min. The come out medium rare in my oven which seems to be a bit slow.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 08:42

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Another way to do steaks in the oven that gets them perfectly done (pink in the middle - brown and crispy on the outside)....

Turn oven to 275. Season steaks as desired. Depending on thickness of steak...put steak on a baking rack over a baking sheet....cook at 275 for 15 to 35 minutes depending on thickness. If very thin - just 15 min. Typical thickness steak needs about 20 minutes. 1" thickness needs about 25 minutes. In last 3-4 minutes of steak in oven, heat bacon fat (or some other oil that can take high temp) in a thick bottomed pan over high heat. Take steak out of oven and sear 2 min without touching in hot oil. Turn over and sear other side.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 09:14

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chell921
Oh, sure NOW you tell us how to do it! We just picked up a new grill this weekend because I couldn't figure out how to make a flavorful steak on the broiler!

The grill still has its advantages. You can get smoke wood smoke going, even if it's a gas grill. And in the summer, you won't make the kitchen hot.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/185/175 Male 5'11"
BF:

I just do them in a cast iron skillet on the stove top. Kosher salt each side and they come out perfect every time.

Finally got the grill out last weekend for the first time this spring.