Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-09, 10:23

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

8foldpath, I buy my coconut milk powder at www.bulkfoods.com . You can find many places selling it online, and a lot of information about it, by googling "coconut milk powder". I'd suggest trying a small amount first.

Meg
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 15:06
Registered Member

Plan: 180DH/W.Price/BED
Stats: 145/135/140 Female 6"
BF:
Progress: 200%

Yep, I'll eat it straight off the spoon. I'll also put it in soup, on vegetables and meats, use it in cooking, or mix it with natural peanut butter for a snack (about 2 tablespoons CO to 1 tablespoons PB).

If anybody lives in a Liquid Coconut Oil Climate, salad dressing could be another option. I once saw a recipe in a health magazine for this, but living in Canada, a Solid Coconut Oil Climate (except during the hottest days of summer), I have yet to try it.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 07:17

Plan: Atkins/Hhcg
Stats: 155/115/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 133%

I have found the coconut milk powder in my Asian food mart. Here we have a few Asian groceries to chose from. The coconut milk is cheaper there too! Just a suggestion if you don't want to, or like to, buy online. Just know that if you are using the canned milk for getting your 3.5 TBL of coconut oil you will have to drink an entire can per day!!!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 11:33

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

My sister loves to freeze it and eat it like candy. I am looking forward to trying it, especially in the chocolate candy. Not doing Atkins, I plan to enjoy it with pecans.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 12:10

I tried a recipe for chocolate bark but it was far from sweet. The recipe called for one packet of sweetener. Is that the usual amount?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 12:31

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I just use it for cooking. I don't remember reading in any of the low carb books that eating extra fat is recommended. I don't fear the fat that's found naturally in food and recipes but see no reason to try to add as much fat as possible.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: VLC
Stats: 267/260/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I like coconut oil in my morning decaf coffee. It adds a nice dimension of coconutiness (new word ...hahaha) to it. I love the extra energy boost I get from it too! Good stuff!

Etire
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 14:45

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 161/159/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Tried it for the first time today!

I actually thought I could eat it off the spoon! YUK!
I ended up somehow mixing it in SF jello. And that also made me gag! But it feels nice on my dry skin!

Nice to know that it is an acquired taste!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 14:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/147/128 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 79%

My dad is on a coconut oil kick right now (thanks to DH, who got him started by toting the health benefits ). We were there over the Easter weekend, and everything was fried or cooked in coconut oil. I found the smell of it to be quite nauseating after a while.

So I know I don't like cooking with it (although I have found that added to soups and such is not bad at all!). I have made coconut bark with it (yum! And you can add more sweetner than a recepie calls for if you want, just don't go too crazy), but find it hard to eat enough bark in one day to satisfy the recommended 3.5 tbsp. So back to tea it is for me.

I think I'll have to start getting more creative in the kitchen... Once I'm further along and can have things like natural PB I think that's a great option. Until then.... ???
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 17:41

Plan: keto
Stats: 230/218/150 Female 5'5"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 15%

I love the coconut bark, totally yummy!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I just use it for cooking. I don't remember reading in any of the low carb books that eating extra fat is recommended. I don't fear the fat that's found naturally in food and recipes but see no reason to try to add as much fat as possible.

Except for the fact that a lot of people have reported getting their loss going again by adding fats.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 08:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Except for the fact that a lot of people have reported getting their loss going again by adding fats.

Yeah, that is the method I've been trying the last couple days. I've dropped two pounds in the last couple days which in not necessarily indicative of anything, but since I only dropped a total of *one* pound over the previous month, when I was eating lower fat, higher protein, I'm still happy with the trend! Hmm, time for some coconut oil on a spoon methinks
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 08:52

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 161/159/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I just had a tablespoon of CO on a spoon with lots of water! That was sorta painful! :-)lol!