Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default All confused with baking products

Hello,

I went out shopping today to find ingredients to make some lc bread, muffins, etc.

I am unsure about some things.

I bought soya flour and soya protein powder but some recipes call for soya protein isolate. I couldn't find soya protein isolate. Are either soya flour or soya protein powder the same?

Another recipe called for 1/2 cup whey protein, vanilla.
All I could find was 100% Whey protein booster vanilla in a can. I am not sure if this is the right stuff?

Just wanted to make sure ground flax and flax meal are the same?

Thank you so much in advance and sorry for all the questions. This is all new to me and I want to make sure I am doing it right.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 17:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Soy protein powder is soy protein isolate. Just make sure it's not soy milk powder which is a different thing all together. Flax meal and ground flax seeds are the same thing.

With whey protein isolate, I prefer plain, unflavoured powder but the flavoured is fine to use in sweet baking and desserts.

Here's the scoop on the different soy products...It's from this post

"There have been a couple of questions over the past few days about the difference between various soy derived "powders."

Here are the differences. Because the protein content varies (which makes the carb content higher or lower), the three are not interchangeable, especially if used in cooking.

Soy ingredients - soy flour, soy protein concentrate and isolated soy protein - that go into soyfoods all contain soy protein. Soy protein is always made from soy flakes.

Soy flour, which is 50% protein (based on dry weight), is ground from soy flakes to the desired particle size, smooth or course. Soy protein concentrate, which is 70% protein(based on dry weight), is made by processing soy flakes to remove some of the sugar that naturally occurs in soy.

Soy protein concentrate can be processed two different ways:

·Soy flakes can be washed with water, then dried to make the finished product.
·Or alcohol can be added to soy flakes to dissolve sugars and other alcohol-soluble substances.

Unfortunately, both alcohol processing and excessive water washing remove most of the isoflavones naturally present in soy
flakes.

The third soy ingredient is isolated soy protein. What does isolated mean? Simply that once the protein is manufactured using water to remove most of the sugar in the soy flakes, the protein is then precipitated and dried. What you're left with is an ingredient that is 90% protein (based on dry weight)- a much higher percentage than you'll find in soy flour or soy protein concentrate, and a number that makes isolated soy protein the most concentrated form of soy protein there is."

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thank you Karen so much.

You made it all so much easier to understand. Yesterday we cooked up all sorts of stuff.

Thanks again,

Kathy