Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_K
You may not be over like you thought. I don't think that fitday subtracts off the fiber grams like you're supposed to with PP and Atkins. You may actually be okay after all.
Katie, you'll be happy to know Fitday does subtract the fiber - but they do it in a round about way. They calculate the calories from carbohydrates based on the number of carbs minus fiber.

For example, if you had 40g of carbs and 15g of fiber the total calories from carbs would be 25g x 4 = 100 calories and not 40g x 4 = 160 calories

-Nat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:54

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Thanks all...right now I am reducing my carbs back to 20, 3 days now, still haven't notice a decrease...frustrating.... Also, I am exercising now...step aerobics x3 week.... Still hasn't helped....

10-12 x my goal weight 145...is 1450 and I'm been below that all week... Somewhere it said that I needed to keep it to 1285 a day to lose 2 pounds a
week.... So I've been doing that... I'll stay off the scales until Friday because I'm really frustrated... Going back down to 20 carbs has increased my depression again, but I'll hang on til Friday...
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
10-12 x my goal weight 145...is 1450 and I'm been below that all week... Somewhere it said that I needed to keep it to 1285 a day to lose 2 pounds a
week.... So I've been doing that... I'll stay off the scales until Friday because I'm really frustrated... Going back down to 20 carbs has increased my depression again, but I'll hang on til Friday...
Have you given any consideration to the fact that you may be eating too little, Skee? Cutting calories works for low fat diets, but if you apply those principles to low carb eating you're going to get low fat results, and we all know how those have panned out for us

You might want to read this post by Doreen about fat and how it makes LC work.

Scared to eat fat

I know that many hold to the 10x goal weight, and many here know that I'm not one of those. IMHO, a 196 lb woman who's moderately active needs more than 1285 calories a day to function, let alone lose fat. She probably needs more than 1450, to take it even further.

I hope you figure out the right formula for yourself.
Nat
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 23:30

Thanks Nat that might be true but I am a bit confused.... Some say to lose eat 10xMAINTENANCE WEIGHT in calories per day, others say eat 10XCURRENT WEIGHT in calories a day....which is it???

I currently weight 196....maintenance weight is 145.... So I thought I was supposed to be consuming no more than 1450 calories per day... Otherwise, I would maintain my 196 pounds if eating 1960 calories per day...but I am not consuming anything like that...more around 1200 and stalled out... I did read a couple of posts that speaks on adding olive oil to each meal to get good fats in and increase my fat percentages... I might try droping cheese for a while too.. Perhaps also drinking more fluids might help.... I'll incorporate all of these strategies and let you know how it goes...

Thanks again Nat!!!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Thanks Nat that might be true but I am a bit confused.... Some say to lose eat 10xMAINTENANCE WEIGHT in calories per day, others say eat 10XCURRENT WEIGHT in calories a day....which is it???
Skee, if I knew that answer I'd be rich

The big question is, what works for you. It seems eating 1200 calories isn't doing it - and to be honest, I'm not surprised.

IMHO, the whole 10x guideline is how you establish BMR - basal metabolic rate. BMR is not how many calories you burn daily in total. It's what your body uses to sustain life. It's what you need if you're bedridden. To this you have to add in lifestyle, activities, and TEF (thermal effect of food). This is the number you get that equals all the calories you burn on any given day.

How do you get this number? Trial and error. Yes, if you eat 1200 calories at first you'll lose weight - but it's a hollow loss, it won't last. Especially if you weight 196 lbs. Let's face it, carrying around 50 lbs of excess fat takes some energy - pick up a bag of dog food and tell me it's not heavy.

I think increasing your calories with good fats is a good idea. Olive oil, nut oils, flax oil, fatty fish oils. It doesn't take much to do it either, just a few tbspns. I'd increase the cals slowly over a few days and watch for results - inches gone, lbs gone, clothing fitting better, etc.

I know many active women (weight lifting, HIIT cardio) who weigh around 135 lbs who eat 1900 calories on a daily basis and are losing fat. At one point I used to have to eat in excess of 2300 calories to lose - and I weighed a good 40 lbs less than 230 lbs at the time.

Nat
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:26

Question Will Try Increasing Good Fats...calories

Well thanks again Nat, I'll try increasing the good fats, stay off the scales this week and weigh myself again Friday.... I'll also increase the water.... It was getting to the point where I thought okay how can I maintain this, especially after exercising because I get really hungry...at which point I usually have a huge salad and 1/4 piece of fruit...

Thanks again for your expertise...you've been very helpful...
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:29

Lightbulb Refeed Trials...

Well day 1 after REFEED...full of energy...bloated though.... Stuck mostly to simple carbs.... My hips have definited expanded...that's usually where my weight shows up first.... Didn't get on the scales though...will wait until tomorrow...

But, I'm going to eat right today, exercise, and follow my weekly goals... Will post later this week on my progress....