Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 10:58
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 115/115/105
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Fatigue? Normal??

Okay, so i'm still on the induction phase... and is a general tiredness to be expected? And my muscles feel like i've been working out for hours, even though i haven't done anything. Does this groggy feeling get better? am i not getting enough supplements?

Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/174/120
BF:
Progress: 27%

Are you eating the allowed number of carbs? If not, that could be part of the problem.
Otherwise, by the end of the second week, you should be feeling much better.
If you are used to drinking caffeine, you may be missing the "high", and also going through withdrawal.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 11:10

Stats: 194/174/120
BF:
Progress: 27%

Please tell me that you are no more than five feet tall! Otherwise, you may simply be at the best weight for you already!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 11:30

Stats: 364/320/280
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Tired on the first week.

When I started Atkins two weeks ago, I started feeling really exhausted around day 3 and it lasted until about day 5. After that, I started exercising regularly and now I feel great.

I think the tiredness has something to do with your body chemistry adjusting. Also, it could mean that you are losing weight a little too fast for your body (i.e. losing water and minerals too fast). Try supplementing if you aren't already, and you should start feeling better.

By the way, unless you are in grade school, you probably don't need to be dieting around 115, and you certainly shouldn't be doing the induction phase at all. I would reccomend starting at a realativley high carb intake (probably around 50 or 60) and steadily work your way up in five gram increments.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 11:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You're going through detox and withdrawal right now, What you're feeling is normal.

Are you taking a multi-vitamin and a calcium/magnesium and potassium supplement? The last three will help with any soreness, crampning or headaches. Also water - at least 60 oz. a day!

It is really important that you read the new edition of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. No one should undertake a low carb way of life without reading a book on how it works. It's not a quick weight loss "diet", but a lifetime maintenance program.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 115/115/105
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks!

Thank you everyone for responding.

And to put some of you at ease (I hope)... I'm just very small framed Recently my doctor told me to start avoiding sugars (health reasons) and actually suggested the Atkins program. I read the book and have been trying to follow it, but it's hard My coach would like to see me at least 20 pounds lighter, but i think that's a little much for me.

I'm not on it for a 'quick fix,' i was told that this diet was the healthiest way to go, so i'm gonna try it

Thanks again for all your help!!