Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 03:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 13:00

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Ted, do you make your own kefir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
World's Healthiest foods Calcium

Dietary Calcium Superior to Supplements for Protecting Bones

I don't take a calcium supplement but I do eat yoghurt/kefir and leafy greens daily. I'm a big fan of spinach/chard, always have a row in the garden and can't understand why people buy it in bags it's so easy to grow.

I eat yoghurt, cream, cheese and green veggies pretty much every day, so I was relieved to read the post you had about women and dietary calcium, cos if I can get a nutrient from food, I would much rather do so. However, it does seem that Vit D is one of the things you have to get via a supplement, because a traditional Inuit diet is not on the cards for me.

And, btw, do you make your own kefir or do you buy it? I've never seen it in the UK and, although you can buy it here in Germany, the standard brand in supermarkets is low-fat (yuk).

I'd be curious to know, if you don't mind.

amanda
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 18:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/188/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
According to Eades and others, cheese is known to cause fat loss stall so I couldn't conclude that it was the lack of vitamin D during that week that caused your stall. Who knows, maybe you ate more cheese, or were somehow pushed to eat more because you weren't taking in as much vitamin D during that period.

Thanks, Martin. I was just trying to justify my gain. But I do think Vit D helps with weight loss. I just need to not sabotage myself at the same time.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 03:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
IAnd, btw, do you make your own kefir or do you buy it?
I make my own If you ask around online locally you'll find someone else making it who will send you some starter grains in the post.

You don't do much in the making except just keep it going.

I'm going to get a coconut milk kefir started next as I think that will be interesting.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 11:47

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
I make my own If you ask around online locally you'll find someone else making it who will send you some starter grains in the post.

I'm going to get a coconut milk kefir started next as I think that will be interesting.

Thanks for the info about making it. What does it taste like?

amanda
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Thanks for the info about making it. What does it taste like?

amanda
I haven't made the coconut kefir yet but the milk kefir is a somewhat acquired taste. A little on the sour side but I like it. It varies a bit from batch to batch and also how long it's been hanging around in the fridge. It can be very mild if fresh and it gets a bit tarter as it matures.

I think it improves the flavor of savoury sauces (but my partner isn't so keen) It's a tad alcoholic, perhaps that's the reason I like it. It's not that much different from slightly tart yoghurt. I don't know if you ever made ginger beer from yeast in a jam jar as a kid but the system reminds me of that except it's milk based and the "plant" is chunky grains that you move on each week to start the next batch off.

I really must try some different bases as I'm getting a bit bored with the basic stuff. I like the idea of regularly maintaining the range of lactic-acid bacteria, along with their digestive enzymes in my digestive system. I think like home made yoghurt it's probably better for you than drinking supermarket milk.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 12:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have made coconut milk kefir. It doesn't work all that well, IMHO. Hardly looks like the kefir grains do anything at all, the kefir was barely soured. I even tried to add some sugar sources but that didn't help much.

But put those grains in some goat milk and they go crazy. My utter favorite was goat milk. Much better than cow's milk for kefir, IMHO.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 17:46

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:

hmmm coconut kefir? sounds very interesting. I want to try it.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 17:48

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I have made coconut milk kefir. It doesn't work all that well, IMHO. Hardly looks like the kefir grains do anything at all, the kefir was barely soured. I even tried to add some sugar sources but that didn't help much.

But put those grains in some goat milk and they go crazy. My utter favorite was goat milk. Much better than cow's milk for kefir, IMHO.

goat milk kefir is the only kind I use if I use it. I do have a sensitivity to dairy though ....even from goats unless it's grass fed.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 17:38

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

hey guys my results came from life extension. My vitamin D levels are 63.8.
The range it showed was 32 -100. I guess i am quiet alright. I will take 2000iu once every two days then.

Do you think my levels are fine?
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 18:16
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Specifically how was it measured and what test is this? I think there are a few different ways to measure Vitamin D so I'm just curious.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 03:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Specifically how was it measured and what test is this? I think there are a few different ways to measure Vitamin D so I'm just curious.
From the Vitamin D council newsletter As far as 25(OH)D levels go, many of you have written complaining about the high cost of a 25(OH)D levels at some labs. I've got some good news. For the next month, Life Extension Foundation is having a sale on their 25(OH)D blood tests, only $32.25, including the fee for drawing the blood. (No, we don't get funding from Life Extension, I wish we did.) Life Extension uses LabCorp, which, in turn, uses an accurate method to determine 25(OH)D levels, the DiaSorin Laiason method (PDF format). The only problem is that DiaSorin, LabCorp, and Life Extension all say that 30 ng/ml is acceptable. It is not. Take enough vitamin D or get enough UVB radiation to get your levels above 50 ng/ml. To order the test, call Life Extension at 800 208-3444. Unfortunately, this offer is not available in New York, New Jersey or Rhode Island.

current price for LEF 25(OH)D test

I wish I was 63.8ng I was only 120nmol/l 48ng when I was last tested but I live at latitude 52 and I doubt we get as much effective sunshine near Boston UK as you do near Boston USA. I've had to increase my intake to 7000iu/daily.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 06:21

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have heard that darker people can retain vitamin D for a longer time...although they cannot make as much .....

Anyways this number might be because of my effort in taking vitamin d for the past 3 months, before i was concerned I was overdosing.

It is so much important to get tested to know where you are at if not just measure progress.

I dint feel any different after taking vitamin d which is sad. But it is quiet possible that my levels were never low.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1
hey guys my results came from life extension. My vitamin D levels are 63.8.
The range it showed was 32 -100. I guess i am quiet alright. I will take 2000iu once every two days then.

Do you think my levels are fine?

Yeah, that's a great level. Dr. Davis recommends 60 for his heart patients.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 23:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I always recommend taking calcium with vitamin D; more for women, less for men.

If I'm taking 6,000 IU of D a day, how much calcium and magnesium should I be taking with it? Is there a formula or percentage?