Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 16:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default question about calcium

Just wondering if about calcium. I always see calcium supplements advertised and suggested to women "of a certain age", and I am just wondering when it really would be appropriate to start taking them. As a low carber who takes a multi vitamin, but drinks no milk and eats very little dairy, would I need the extra calcium in a supplement? Maybe a better question would be, could it hurt to take it?

Mari
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 01:08

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

calcium is a large element - so if you look carefully at your multi-vitamin, the recommended daily percentage listed is probably about 10%... i take a calcium supplement although i'm now starting to try getting into the habit of taking it daily. it doesn't hurt to take (i'm pretty sure about that..)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 01:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good question, but I don't know thw answer. I take a cal/mag/K supplement and have been doing it for years without questioning it. I think I've been more afraid of breaking my hip than heart disease. Dairy products are not exactly the best source of calcium. Magnesium has to be present for it ot be effective

There was a comment on it by Mrs. Yogi today. She takes it before bed, says it helps her sleep.

I've read that it helps prevent teeth grinding while sleeping if you take it before bed. There's also other reasons it's good to take, but I can't remember them!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 03:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default calcium

You are never to young to start calcium if your diet is inadequate. I suppliment my kids' diet with orange juice plus calcium. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your bones.
My 50ish year old sister has bone cancer and she is a marathon walker. The doctors have told her that the walking has prolonged her life and her density is that of a 30 yr old, even though she has cancer!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 05:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up calcium

agreed, yup, yessir, mm-hmmm ... Calcium good.

Current RDA's for calcium are -
  • 800mg for children
  • 1,300mg for teens
  • 1,000mg for adults to age 50,
  • 1,200mg for adults over 50
  • 1,200mg pregnant/lactating
Some research is suggesting it should be even higher, 1,200mg per day for adults, and 1,500mg per day for teens and over 50. Calcium isn't just a woman's concern - osteoporosis is becoming more prevalent in men over age 50 - higher calcium intake is urged for all adults.

Dairy products are indeed rich in calcium, but it's not very well absorbed. In particular, the casein protein inhibits absorption. (interesting note - casein from cow's milk is widely used in industry and manufacturing ... its glue-y properties have many uses in house paint and construction materials ). I still love my cheese and yogurt, but I don't rely on dairy for my calcium supply.

Here's a quote from an article from Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine -
Quote:
Dairy products offer a false sense of security to those concerned about osteoporosis. In countries where dairy products are not generally consumed, there is actually less osteoporosis than in the United States. Studies have shown little effect of dairy products on osteoporosis. The Harvard Nurses’ Health followed 78,000 women for a 12-year period and found that milk did not protect against bone fractures. Indeed, those who drank three glasses of milk per day had more fractures than those who rarely drank milk.

There are many good sources of calcium. Kale, broccoli, and other green leafy vegetables contain calcium that is readily absorbed by the body. A recent report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that calcium absorbability was actually higher for kale than for milk, and concluded that “greens such as kale can be considered to be at least as good as milk in terms of their calcium absorbability.” Beans are also rich in calcium. Fortified orange juice supplies large amounts of calcium in a palatable form.

Click here to read the entire article. Note it is geared to vegan-vegetarian.
Dark green leafy vegetables, and dark green vegetables from the brassica family - kale, cabbage, broccoli, collards, brussels sprouts .. are good sources, and the calcium is readily absorbed. Excellent sources also are canned sardines and salmon WITH THE BONES. Sesame seeds and almonds are good too. Some soy milks are now fortified with calcium too. Tofu that has been set with calcium is good (note, some tofu is set with nigari, which is magnesium, not calcium-based)

Another important factor for calciium absorption is Vitamin D. The body can manufacture its own Vit. D in the skin, from exposure to sunlight. For those of us in the north country that means in winter especially, we need to supplement vitamin D. In North America, liquid milk products are fortified with vitamin D, but cream, cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc ... are not.

hope this is helpful,

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 10:41

BF:

Is it true that too much protein (supposedly what the West typically consumes) causes acidity in the body to the point where calcium is leached out of bones in order to stabilize that blood acidity - resulting in osteoporosis even with the increased dairy intake, which is why in underdeveloped countries/or cultures who don't consume hardly any dairy products/meat products do not get osteoporosis etc...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 12:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi bluu

The answer is NO.

From Protein Power .. http://eatprotein.com/ ..
Quote:
Do diets that are higher in protein cause a loss of calcium and weaken our bones? Will it make me prone to osteoporosis?

The theory behind this whole idea is that when you eat protein, it’s broken down into substances that are a little bit acidic. Supposedly this more acidic blood somehow leaches the calcium out of the bones, and it can end up giving us osteoporosis, at a later date.

Now all that sounds logical, but in fact it just doesn’t happen. This has been studied extensively over long periods of time. What researchers have found is when people eat a lot of protein, especially meat protein, they don’t have any increase in urinary calcium. In other words, they’re not leaching the calcium out of their bones and losing it in their urine as the theory would imply.

And when we look at the skeletal remains of hunters and gatherers who ate two to three times the amount of protein considered "safe" for us today, you find their bones are 17 percent more dense than ours-given the comparison is done between individuals of the same height and gender.

Lastly, there have been studies published recently that correlate the elevated insulin syndrome with bone loss. Because elevated insulin makes you get rid of calcium from your bones, it may actually be the insulin problem causing the osteoporosis! It certainly isn’t the protein in the diet.
The studies which seem to imply bone loss with the consumption of animal protein were done on subjects who also were consuming a large percentage of their diet in the form of refined carbohydrates - sugar, white flour, white bread, etc . Sugars are well-known to lower the pH of (ie, acidify) the blood.

As well, high-cellulose insoluble fiber, as found in grains, bran etc is well-known to inhibit the absorption of dietary calcium, therefore the calcium is excreted from the body, not absorbed.

Consuming adequate protein and fats, as well as the foods listed which are good sources of absorbable calcium ... and ensuring a supply of vitamin D, whether from natural sunlight or supplement .. is your best insurance for healthy bones.

As well, weight-bearing exercise, such as walking has been shown to increase bone-density by up to 10% ..

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-01, 19:02

BF:

thanks doreen, u have made me feel better