Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:30

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Is Coral Calcium Okay?

I am currently taking Atkins Basic #3 and Atkins Essential Oils, as well as Coral Calcium. The coral calcium was recommended to me and since I was looking for a good calcium supplement, I thought I would try it. However, this morning I heard that the claims being made by those who promote coral calcium are largely false. Now, I am not taking this supplement to cure cancer. I just need a good calcium supplement. Will this due for that? Is this a fairly good source of calcium or should I trash these and try another type? If so, does anyone have a recommendation on the best type of calcium supplement to use?

I have read that calcium can aid in weight loss, so naturally this is a consideration in choosing a supplement.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 12:54

Plan: Atkins-general low carb
Stats: //150
BF:to much *LOL*
Progress: 12%
My husband and i use to take that coral calcium.What a joke It is worthless.I don't know witch calcium would be the best,i would think any calcium would be good except coral *LOL* I just bought walmart brand calcium and i feel alot better on it.

It makes me soooooooooooooo mad when people falsely promote stuff like that
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 17:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Coral calcium is an adequate calcium supplement. It's no better than other much less expensive forms of that mineral. There's more information about coral and other forms of calcium in this thread ... Best calcium supplement form?.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 18:59

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks for the info and the link. I will definitely opt for a cheaper calcium supplement when my current supply of coral calcium is depleted.

I do appreciate the info...you've saved me some money and that is definitely on my list of favorite things!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 19:53

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 214/150/145 Female 5'4
BF:don't know anymore
Progress: 93%

The calcium citrate is better absorbed that carbonate which is a cheaper form of calcium. if possible its better to get the liquid calcium. we don't sell it a GNC i wish we would . You do want the 2:1 ratio of cal/mag and get some vit d with it. I take Women's Ultra Mega by GNC it has 500 mg calcium in the multi so i don't take extra for now.