Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 15:02

Plan: keto/atkins/no cow dairy
Stats: 230/217/170 Female 5" 8'
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)

Hi There,
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this. My understanding from what I've read is that you can lose more fat using this method then others. I currently am doing a 30 min circuit at the gym (5-7 days per week) a 20 min abs class 2-3 times per week. I have also been swimming 1.25-1.5km 3 times a week and doing Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred (Level 1, not everyday).
I have not been losing the fat as quickly as I would like. I know that I have gained muscle through my body composition tests, but I want that scale to go down. SIGNIFICANTLY .
They say you can do HIIT on a treadmill, but if you are doing 6 sec at high intensity, then 9 sec at low, my treadmill would never do that. It takes 3-4 seconds to speed up. I suppose I could do in on the rowing machine, or maybe when I start running outside.
Anyone have any experience with this? Effective or not?
Cerridwen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 12:49

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 202/178/175 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

I've been doing HIIT on the elliptical, it's easy to vary your intensity quickly. I usually do 30 seconds as fast as I can, and then slow and recover for 45 seconds.

I can do 16 of these cycles in a 20 minutes session. I 've been doing it for about 8 weeks now and have lost about a pound a week, but 3 inches around the waist. I do one session daily.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (since March 19)
Stats: 198/180/136 Female 5'9''
BF:Likely too high
Progress: 29%

Hi, Cerridwen. I am not sure about HIIT impact on body fat but it certainly makes my running more enjoyable. I started running intervals some time ago and went from 40 mins slow and boring jogging to 20 mins that leave me exhilarated and gasping for breath. The one I do is from Bill Phillips's Body for Life (I've never done anything else from that book, it's hard core weighlifting, but I picked up the intervals and I've stuck with them).

The workout is based on Perceived Rate of Exhaustion (PRE). You start at 2 mins at level 5 PRE (it can be anything from walking to a brisk jog, depending on individual fitness level, for me it is a veeeery slow jog), then run 1 min at level 6, 1 min each at level 7, 8 and 9, then you slow down to 1 min at 6, then 7, 8, 9, then two more times 1 min each at 6, 7, 8, 9. The last time after 9 you go up to 10 (all-out running for 1 min), then slow to level 5 for a minute to cool down. End of workout - it takes 20 mins and leaves me with a great runner's high.

The other one I do from time to time to mix things up is to warm up with 5 mins of slow run, then do 30 secs at a very fast tempo, then 1 min at half the speed, rinse and repeat from anything between 10 and 20 mins. I found this in Runner's World magazine and modified it a bit (they go too technical with the description of speed - race pace minus one and similar stuff that makes my eyes glaze).

P.S. I run outside - not sure whether you can do this on a treadmill.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 10:39

Plan: keto/atkins/no cow dairy
Stats: 230/217/170 Female 5" 8'
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey Touchstone,
Your workout certainly sounds doable on a treadmill. I will certainly give it a try. I would think for me a 5 PRE would be about 3.5mph, then 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5mph. With 6.5 being my all out run.
I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out!
Thanks,
C.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (since March 19)
Stats: 198/180/136 Female 5'9''
BF:Likely too high
Progress: 29%

Good luck, Cerridwen, I'd be curious to hear whether you enjoy intervals. Using PRE is usually good b/c it keeps one challenged as the level of fitness improves
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 15:45

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

http://www.bodyrock.tv/

This website is free, the workouts are short and absolutely HIIT. The trainers are professionals and look AMAZING following their workouts and LC eating plan. I am starting tommorrow!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-12, 08:12

Plan: lc
Stats: 200/200/200 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Bodyrock is crazy! i love it!
I also just ordered Turbo fire! I'm sooo excited!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 00:35

Plan: New Atkins Diet
Stats: 178/178/164 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress:

HIIT is great. You don't have to do that much. Maybe high intensity for 30 secs then slow for 15 secs. Note You should not do HIIT or Tabatah in a treadmill , is not recommended. You can use elliptical machine, sprinting out side , or high intensity calistenics exercises at home.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-15, 05:27
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I've been reading about this adopted it a couple weeks ago. I've read that if you're really doing it at the intensity you should be, you won't want to do it more than 3x/week. I currently am doing one bike HIIT routine and one weight HIT session per week.