Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 16:28

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hit my ranges pretty much bang-on today so I thought I'd share what I ate.

bfast:
mug of half caf coffee with 1/4 cup heavy cream
half a slice of sprouted grain bread fried in 1T butter
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk scrambled in 1T butter

lunch:
1 oz pork/pork liver pate and 1T butter spread on 6.5 carbs' worth of crackers

snack:
I made this: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot....colate-pie.html omitting the chocolate and adding in a vanilla bean, almond extract, an egg yolk, and some agar flakes to help it set up. I haven't put the whipped cream on it yet, but I estimate I ate around 1/3 of what a slice would be by licking my food processor clean.
2T roasted almonds and 2T roasted cashews

dinner:
I rendered some salt pork cubes, deglazed with a splash of white wine, and cooked some chinese cabbage (ong choy) in the fat and sprinkled the crispy cubes on top
2.5 oz shredded potato cooked in 1T butter
4 oz pork chop fried in lard, then made a pan sauce by deglazing with 1T white wine and stirring in 2T heavy cream and 1T mustard

protein: 58.3g (target 56)
fat: 156.6g (target 141-197)
carbs: 37.4g (target 28-45)

I felt a little queasy after lunch, but I just finished dinner and I feel fab now.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 17:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
I made this: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot....colate-pie.html omitting the chocolate and adding in a vanilla bean, almond extract, an egg yolk, and some agar flakes to help it set up.

Wowza, the recipes at that blog are amazing. I've added it to my RSS feed but am going to have to spend a lot of time drooling over what is already there.

My day has been good. Breakfast was a slice of almond bread crumbled into a bowl and topped with heavy cream to make a "cereal". It was awesome.

Lunch was 3 oz of my homemade chicken liver pate with 6 flax/quinoa crackers. I did get hungry and bought a bag of cashews at the news stand downstairs. Dinner was a small serving of the moussaka I made yesterday - a big dish which will last for a couple dinners, and maybe some lunches too.

Because of the cashews I'm right at my top limit for net carbs today, but still have a bit of "room at the top" for fat and protein, as I'm just under my minimum for both. Maybe time for another dollop of pate.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 17:50

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, Lauren is an evil genius at concocting low carb goodies!
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 18:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Dinner was obscenely good. I was macking down on my salad and realized I had forgotten the vinegar... it was so good I hardly missed it.
Breakfast:
2 eggs with parmesan cheese
2 slices of bacon
1 slice of pastrami

Lunch
Cup of cream of broccoli soup
1 oz pate
10 rice crackers

Dinner Salad:
Mixed greens with herbs
Wild arugula
3.5 oz avocado
1 oz Sun Dried tomato/pesto/cream cheese torte from Trader Joe's kind of crumbled up and added
1 oz cashews
10 black olives
2 Tbl Parmesan cheese
Rice wine vinegar (once I remembered)
Sprinkling of Sunny Paris herbs
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Dinner was obscenely good. I was macking down on my salad and realized I had forgotten the vinegar... it was so good I hardly missed it.
Breakfast:
2 eggs with parmesan cheese
2 slices of bacon
1 slice of pastrami

Lunch
Cup of cream of broccoli soup
1 oz pate
10 rice crackers

Dinner Salad:
Mixed greens with herbs
Wild arugula
3.5 oz avocado
1 oz Sun Dried tomato/pesto/cream cheese torte from Trader Joe's kind of crumbled up and added
1 oz cashews
10 black olives
2 Tbl Parmesan cheese
Rice wine vinegar (once I remembered)
Sprinkling of Sunny Paris herbs

I'd be starving ... if that's all I ate! Since starting this WOE, I'm hungry most of the day ... and that's the HARD part of this!

I don't want to feel sick, like I did on Atkins, but the hunger is hard, and I'm going over my limits. I went LC so I wouldn't have to fight hunger, so this is NOT good.

Considering what to do ...
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default Been a good week for food

I've kept to all my ratios -- well under for protein, which is surprising -- and done some good cookin' too.

My favorite dairy had a sale last week, 10% off all cream and milk. I bought 4 quarts of cream and a gallon of whole milk for only $15. With that, I made:

-- A pound of mascarpone
-- Two quarts of the most amazing yogurt
-- A pound of cultured butter - incredible!
-- 4.5 quarts of cocoa coconut ice-cream
And tomorrow I'll be making cottage cheese. I should get a pound and a half. Not bad for fifteen bucks.

At the moment I'm marinating several pounds of beef cheeks I found at Walmart (who knew?) in wine, carrot, onion and garlic. I'll pat them dry tomorrow, brown them in a mix of butter and olive oil, and slow cook them in a casserole with fresh carrots, potatoes and onions for about 4 hours. Can't wait till dinner-time.

Lisa
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 22:33

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Not bad at all, Lisa! Ice cream is on my list of things to learn how to make.

I've never heard of beef cheeks. I assume these are the facial cheeks of a cow and not the butt cheeks? Oh, the things we can learn here if we stay open!

(Here I thought I was being a clever cook by adding mascarpone to my whipped cream that I put on my jello to up the fat. teehee)
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 07:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
IWith that, I made:
-- A pound of mascarpone
-- Two quarts of the most amazing yogurt
-- A pound of cultured butter - incredible!
-- 4.5 quarts of cocoa coconut ice-cream

Gosh, all these sound too good to be true. I adore mascarpone. I can see I may have to start learning how to make some cheeses myself. I adore mascarpone, and it's awfully expensive at Whole Foods (which is the only place I have ever seen it).

I have made homemade yogurt recently using organic half-and-half, and that was amazingly yummy.

I also bought a large container of Stonyfield full-fat yogurt and drained it over a large bowl to capture all the whey which I use for lacto-fermented foods. But the remaining 'yogurt cheese' that was left after all the whey drained out was pretty awesome too. I polished that off in a few days! (back before OD when I was still eating all the protein I wanted).

But you know? It's *darn hard* to find decent full-fat yogurt of any sort in any supermarket. But at least you can usually find it somewhere here in NJ! In summer of 2007 when I was on my annual trip to Canada I was so depressed at my food choices. I wanted yogurt. There are only two supermarkets within a 40-minute drive of where I go, and neither had any "real" yogurt - just nasty frankenyogurts with about 30 ingredients listed. At least by summer 2008 I found one of the stores carried *one* brand called something like 'Balkan-style' yogurt that was actually the real thing.

I think I'll be having my mozzarella omelet for breakfast today, and more of my chicken liver pate with crackers for lunch. Dinner will be reheated moussaka. That's delicious stuff! Ground lamb, eggplant, tomato, onion, that little hint of cinnamon that gives moussaka its special taste, and topped with cream cheese. The cream cheese did not melt and spread over the top so I think next time I will soften the cream chese more and mix with about a 1/2 cup of heavy cream, so I can spread it evenly across the top of the casserole.

I'm trying to drink more water too. I usually do drink quite a bit, at least 2 liters daily. I can't quite see myself doubling that, but I'm trying to bump it up to 3 liters. I did manage 3 liters yesterday. I also dropped a pound this morning. Hmm, could that be related?
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 07:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Congrats on a pound lost Merpig. That's great!
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 08:23
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I don't want to feel sick, like I did on Atkins, but the hunger is hard, and I'm going over my limits. I went LC so I wouldn't have to fight hunger, so this is NOT good.

Considering what to do ...
As I've mentioned before, give it some time Diana. Your appetite will come down. It took about a 7-10 days but mine did. In the mean time, to survive the hunger, add more fat in.

Oh yeah, before bed time I ate more crackers with brie, a rice cake with butter and peanut butter, and greek yogurt with peanut butter. Went slightly over on protein and was about right on everything else.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 14:03

Plan: Atkins / High-Fat
Stats: 168/149/138 Female 5' 8"
BF:size: 12/10/8
Progress: 63%

Hey y'all - I just remembered this recipe... I'm not eating dairy at the moment, but I know you guys are all relying on dairy to up the fats, and this dip is sooo good.

(you can just use SF ingredients; actually the jam on top is unnecessary):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...cipe/index.html
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 16:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Okay, second day for me (lost 1/2 lb this morning), and here's what I had today (all weighed on digital scale and calculated per Fitday):

For breakfast:
2 mugs decaf
1 oz heavy cream
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 egg + 1 yolk fried in bacon dripping.

For lunch:
4.5 oz smelt
1 Tbsp butter for frying
2 Tbsp tartar sauce
1 mug decaf
1/2 oz heavy cream

Afternoon snack (trying to get in most of my fat before dinner):
4.5 oz sliced strawberries
2.5 oz sour cream
sprinkle of cacao nibs

Just finished dinner:
2 cups salad, plus tomato, onion and 1/4 avocado
1.5 oz bacon pieces
5 Greek kalamata olives
2 Tbsp Caesar dressing

So far, 1900 calories, 174g F, 39g C, 57g P (somewhat over on fat).

And I'm stuffed.

One thing to consider, even though the digital weights are accurate, the P/F/C grams of anything are only estimates since we can never KNOW what any one food contains of P/F/C. Take bacon, for example; there's a wide range of fat content in bacon from lean to extra fatty among brands, even between packages of one brand, then there's the level of doneness. Fitday doesn't distinguish between level of leanness or doneness.... it's just bacon. lol

So those who are obsessing about achieving perfect P/F/C Kwas. percentages, realize that all your calculations are only estimates anyway, and don't stress out if things don't match perfect.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 17:48

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

I'm just trying to concentrate on upping my fats and lowering my protein right now. Yesterday, I had about 88g protein, 154 for fat, and 25 for carbs (I am six feet tall, large frame--really). I know, I didn't hit the OD levels, but I felt sick by evening. I'm going to have to work out what to eat all over again, and what to feed the family, etc.

Vivid dreams, too. Not the gruesome slasher dreams I had a few months ago on induction. So, you know, win.

Oh food! Right.

Eggs in butter.

Avocados in a lovely salad with a wee bit of chicken.

snack: Brauns--broun--br--liverwurst (on cheese--I'll go cracker shopping tonight!)

Through the day: Cream. Lots of cream. In coffee, from the carton, about 4 ounces.

Dinner:
Mushrooms drowned in butter and thyme.
A little more chicken. Stole the skin off the dog's portion.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 18:12

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Delicious Hot Chocolate

- 2 table spoon of cocoa powder
- 10 oz heavy cream (whipping)
- Splenda (or other sweetener) to your taste.

Dilute cocoa in a little bit of water then add cream and Splenda.
Heat 90 second in microwave.

Enjoy !

Patrick
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 19:51
Experimenter

BF:

For those of you with Trader Joe's around, I recommend the "Sun dried tomato pesto torta", it's in the Deli section. It's a dip like thing with sundried tomatos, pesto and cream cheese. Strangely enough I like to kind of crumbled it into my salads.