Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-18, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Customised breakfast cereal

Hi everyone,

I was given a recipe for a breakfast nuts and seeds cereal plus flaxseed meal. I am coming out of induction and wondered what your thoughts are about this.
Essentially, seeds - chia, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and nuts - walnuts, almonds and almond meal plus Flaxseed meal. I have run this through analysis and found that the quantity I choose to eat (1/4 cup) contains the following:

Without the flaxseed:- 7.4g protein, 17.1g fat, 1.5g carb.
With flaxseed:- 23.4g protein, 22.4g fat, 5.1g carb.

I would eat it with Almond Milk of </=1g carb per 250mls.
No sweetners.

Do you think this is OK.?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 00:15

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

You only ate 1/4 C of cereal?

That doesn't sound very satisfying. I know that I'd have to eat 4 times that amount to even come close to feeling like I ate something. For me, it wouldn't be worth it. (Plus, nuts make me gain)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 00:49
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
You only ate 1/4 C of cereal?

That doesn't sound very satisfying. I know that I'd have to eat 4 times that amount to even come close to feeling like I ate something. For me, it wouldn't be worth it. (Plus, nuts make me gain)

It's very satisfying for me rpavich. Thats how much I like to eat. It doesn't sound much but perhaps because of the nutrients, it is not only satisfying but it controls my blood sugar . And you are likely a big man and I am a little woman (not as little as i would like haha) but our relative size makes a difference to our eating needs. My problem is that I eat as though I was you and I need to find the way to eat for my size which is 5'2" and small boned. One of my main goals is to limit my food intake. This diet is really only a vehicle to make me recognise control. But I want to follow the rules. TBH - I can easily not eat breakfast and my alternative, when I do, is one egg any which way. I'm not a big breakfast eater. I just need to make sure I dont get the shakes later. I've been having an almond latte and that takes me through to mid morning quite easily. I'd prefer to have a nutrient rich cereal so what do you think about it from an Atkins POV? Thats the question.

Last edited by Cremorne : Mon, Jun-11-18 at 01:02.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremorne
It's very satisfying for me rpavich. Thats how much I like to eat. It doesn't sound much but perhaps because of the nutrients, it is not only satisfying but it controls my blood sugar . TBH - I can easily not eat breakfast and my alternative, when I do, is one egg any which way. I'm not a big breakfast eater. I just need to make sure I dont get the shakes later. I've been having an almond latte and that takes through to mid morning quite easily. I'd prefer to have a nutrient rich cereal so what do think about it from an Atkins POV?

Well...only you can tell, not me. I know that for me, It would be Atkins suicide.

What does Atkins say about it? (the early Atkins)

That's what I'd go by.

Everyone is unique in this way. You'll have someone come right behind me who CAN eat 1/4 cup of nuts and not have any issues at all.

If I were in your position, I'd make a protein shake; no carb protein powder; Carbmaster "milk" and ice.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 01:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
Well...only you can tell, not me. I know that for me, It would be Atkins suicide.

What does Atkins say about it? (the early Atkins)

That's what I'd go by.

Everyone is unique in this way. You'll have someone come right behind me who CAN eat 1/4 cup of nuts and not have any issues at all.

If I were in your position, I'd make a protein shake; no carb protein powder; Carbmaster "milk" and ice.

Thats what I'm asking - what does Atkins say about it? (And subsituting a shake for a nutritional real food porridge is not the answ er I'm looking for)I'm asking the experienced forum members for their considered and experienced opinion. I know what I'd like to do. I want to know whether it is an acceptable choice while following the Atkins diet. If you are an experienced and knowledgable "Atkiner" do you say yay or nay? If you do not know then thats fine - just say.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 01:16
Registered Member

BF:

and rpavich - I forgot to thank you for responding to my question. I'm grateful for your comments and efforts to add to my knowledge. Good luck to you on this journey. No doubt we'll be chatting more..
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 01:29

Quote:
and rpavich - I forgot to thank you for responding to my question. I'm grateful for your comments and efforts to add to my knowledge. Good luck to you on this journey. No doubt we'll be chatting more..

No problem, I'm no expert at all. I've read a couple of Atkins books, that's all.

My advice would be to buy the early (pre-2000) Atkins book and read it. I can't remember what's in it exactly, I'm going to buy myself another copy so that I can refresh. Some of what Atkins actually said gets distorted through time and perception so it's good to go back to the source.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 01:30

Quote:
Thats what I'm asking - what does Atkins say about it? (And subsituting a shake for a nutritional real food porridge is not the answ er I'm looking for)I'm asking the experienced forum members for their considered and experienced opinion. I know what I'd like to do. I want to know whether it is an acceptable choice while following the Atkins diet. If you are an experienced and knowledgable "Atkiner" do you say yay or nay? If you do not know then thats fine - just say.

I only said that because nuts would be the kiss of death for me.

If you want me to make a stand, I say nay.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 03:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

It is or is not OK for you depending on your goals, or how fast you wish to reach them.

But first what original Atkins 1972 says (thanks to Jo) here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...928&postcount=3
And Atkins 2002 induction foods and rules are above at the top of this Atkins forum.

Nuts are not in either of them and both plans also count Total Carbs, so using flax is out because that carb level does not leave much room for a variety of other nutrient dense foods.

Are some people able to add those foods later in the plan and still lose weight? Yes, but the only why to find out if this cereal would work for you is to try it for 2-4 weeks, note results and decide based on the results you have.

Dr Westman has explained the reason there are no nuts is that patients have a hard time controlling amounts and they are calorie dense. You would likely feel more satiety eating bacon and eggs calorie per calorie. His clinic counts total carbs in flax and all foods because some fibers may be digested, it is the stronger "Medicine" than counting net carbs. It is prescription strength in the clinic versus OTC in the 2010 Atkins book. And in the end, although it is not necessary to count calories on a LCHF diet, calories do count. (See first link, the answer from 1972 book there and I have many other quotes from both Dr Atkins and Westman on this topic)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
It is or is not OK for you depending on your goals, or how fast you wish to reach them.

But first what original Atkins 1972 says (thanks to Jo) here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...928&postcount=3
And Atkins 2002 induction foods and rules are above at the top of this Atkins forum.

Nuts are not in either of them and both plans also count Total Carbs, so using flax is out because that carb level does not leave much room for a variety of other nutrient dense foods.

Are some people able to add those foods later in the plan and still lose weight? Yes, but the only why to find out if this cereal would work for you is to try it for 2-4 weeks, note results and decide based on the results you have.

Dr Westman has explained the reason there are no nuts is that patients have a hard time controlling amounts and they are calorie dense. You would likely feel more satiety eating bacon and eggs calorie per calorie. His clinic counts total carbs in flax and all foods because some fibers may be digested, it is the stronger "Medicine" than counting net carbs. It is prescription strength in the clinic versus OTC in the 2010 Atkins book. And in the end, although it is not necessary to count calories on a LCHF diet, calories do count.

Thanks so much for that link! I've searched and searched and never found a good list of the early Atkins stuff.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 03:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Just Jo is the font of all knowledge all thing Atkins 1972 I have the book in somewhere in my LC bookcase, but she has it memorized. and lives it every day.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 03:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Janet. I understand the reason behind the no nuts thing - eat one and you want to eat a hundred - that would be me.. But if thats the only reason not to include them in the Atkins diet then I will include them in this cereal. I'm not talking about grabbing a bag of nuts. And I mention this cereal only because I get sick of eating eggs for breakfast. I don't eat meat so bacon etc is of no desire to me. I don't need more than this cereal gives me - I really only wanted to know from a carb/fat etc pov. I'll give it a go - will only eat once or twice a week and without the flaxseed meal. Thanks for the comments.