Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 18:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default diabetic on keto

Two weeks ago I started keto/lchf. My blood sugar was out of control, I was on 85 units of insulin, and on blood pressure med. Now - in only two weeks - I used NO insulin today and my blood sugar was 87 this morning and has run about 100 all day. I'm watching my blood pressure carefully and may have to adjust my pills for that. I lost about 6 pounds of water in the first few days and haven't lost any since then but I'm not giving up. The blood sugar thing is worth it but I think I will eventually lose weight.
The dietdoctor.com website has been my inspiration and help. It is incredible how the keto has allowed my blood sugar to go down enough that I could gradually drop the insulin.
My doctor has nagged me about losing weight and lowering my blood sugar but has given to hints to how to do that. His solution is always one more pill. Thank god for the doctors on dietdoctor.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 19:15

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

That is awesome! Congrats!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 22:34

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

That's wonderful!

My hubby is a T2 diabetic who has been completely off diabetes meds and kept his BG nicely in control for 2 years with a low carb diet. We have a number of diabetic friends that we've tried to interest in going low-carb. Sadly, far too many of them are either too afraid of dietary to go low carb or they're convinced that hubby's results are an "anomaly" and that LC would not work for them.

It is always good to hear about another diabetic who has figured out the truth. Keep sharing what you're learned. Maybe eventually doctors will all catch up.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-16-18, 01:20

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great stuff, and in such a short space of time.

I never got tested for diabetes before I started lowcarbing, honestly because I was afraid at what the likely result would be. Bizarrely, a part of me wishes I'd got it done regardless of the result, so that I would have one more measure to track with the new lifestyle. My A1c has been normal ever since I started tracking it, but I'll never know how far down it may have come from beforehand.

Don't forget to go back to your doc one day to give him the good news, too. It sounds like he may be in for a bit of a surprise when you tell him how you did it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-16-18, 06:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

I'm going to give it three months so my A1c will fully reflect my blood sugar change so the doctor will be able to see the complete results.
I had no idea the change to normal blood sugar without insulin could happen so quickly. And, I was down 2 lbs this morning.
Can you tell I am so happy and relieved that something is working?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-16-18, 07:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wow, what great news! Glad you found DietDoctor and this Bernstein/Diabetes forum again. Have you see Dr. Bernstein's new YouTube video series on diabetes. And the Dr Fung and Westman threads. More great info by reading back through this forum. All the best,
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 12:57

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Two weeks ago I started keto/lchf. My blood sugar was out of control, I was on 85 units of insulin, and on blood pressure med. Now - in only two weeks - I used NO insulin today and my blood sugar was 87 this morning and has run about 100 all day. I'm watching my blood pressure carefully and may have to adjust my pills for that. I lost about 6 pounds of water in the first few days and haven't lost any since then but I'm not giving up. The blood sugar thing is worth it but I think I will eventually lose weight.
The dietdoctor.com website has been my inspiration and help. It is incredible how the keto has allowed my blood sugar to go down enough that I could gradually drop the insulin.[QUOTE]

I see posted results like this and i just dont get the same results. At all! My fbg went down at first but only for a few days. Today fbg was 120. I have averaged 30 grams carb per day for over 3 weeks. Maybe thats just too many carbs for my body. Even the keto sticks have gone from moderate to trace. But i am losing weight, and my knees feel a lot better!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 16:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great that you feel better. You have been eating low carb since 2011? And you recently wrote your Hba1c is 5.4...is that the same? Maybe update us on what you have been doing recently. Did you stop LC and recently restart Keto? Since you say your knees are better

But if you have been LC all this time and have that great a1c, consider Dawn phenomenan as possibly contributing to the higher fasting BG. If you have had high BG for a long time, it will take a while to come down and some find adding IF helps. However, Dr Bernstein gives importance to spreading those 30g carbs in 6-12-12 meals, the 6 for breakfast to account for that dawn rise, while Dr Westman is less structured..keep total carbs, not net, under 20g per day, OMAD is OK.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dawn-phenomenon

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-11-18 at 03:15.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 07:51

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Janet, thanks for your response. I have not been low carb the whole time. I fall off the wagon with regularity! This is only my latest attempt. I am familiar with the dawn phenomenon, but my frustration lies with post prandial readings as well. Three, 4, 5 hours after a low carb meal my bg will be over 112, sometimes still in the 120s. Recently my lowest readings are at bedtime; last night it was a delightful 100!
I try to fast for 16 hours, and I'm successful most days.(that's not entirely true; I do have a decaf coffee with heavy cream shortly after rising). And I generally count net, not total, carbs. That could make a big difference! But I wonder if I can really reverse my insulin resistance and achieve fbg of below 100. I go back to the doc in Oct and will see how my a1c looks. I'll check out Berstein's 6-12-12. Is that difficult to do and still IF for 16 hours? Thx again.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-18, 10:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

CHica, I too fell off the wagon often. I did find a way to be more consistenent.Th 90 cay change your behavior challenge. YOU write your own goals and limits to follow for 90 days, including allowing for a number of goof days. This is progress not perfection. I was able to kick pizza to the curb permanntly; and kept to a one meal a day for about 37 days, and dropped a bit of weight.

Just saying, a little 90 day commitment to change a behavior can do wonders. Its under th challenge section of this forum.