Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 11:58

Plan: Carb. Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/178/140
BF:
Progress:
Cool New to CALP and have some ???s

Hi--I am new to the CALP as of last week--and it would take FOREVER to tell my whole background and explain why I cannot weigh myself and find out if I am actually losing anything and whatever.....But...should anyone wnat to know--feel free to ask and I'll explain....
Anyway...my question is....I am hearing different things about snacking---are you or are you not allowed them on CALP? I was under the impression that you were? And does anyone know if the weight comes off faster or if it is any healthier to use proteins lower in fat? And...even thought it doesn't say---is there a limit on how much you eat during the day---I can't fully grasp the fact that you can eat ALL of this fat and actually lose weight.
So....HELP PLEASE!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 05:55

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default I'm a CALPer and very happy

I have been on CAD/CALP for 6 weeks now and read both books thru. You are not allowed snacks unless you are losing to fast. More than 2 lbs a week.Then only one snack. It has to be within the guidelines in the book. If you don't follow the book , you will not have sucess. I do not get hungry between meals and a lot of times don't eat lunch. The eggs and bacon breakfasts keep me going all day. I could never stick to a diet before trying this diet. So far , I've lost 6 1/2 lbs. in 6 weeks. That is the average you should lose per week to be safe. I started on Atkins and lost 10 lbs the first week then nothing after that untill I changed to CAlp.Now I have steadily lost each week with no hunger enjoying foods I like at my reward meal within the guidelines . Hope this helps. In 10 weeks of dieting , I've lost 18 lbs. and feel great. Wawtigress
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 13:12

Plan: calp
Stats: 342/295/190
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi msmarmar23. Congrats on starting.That's always the most difficult part!!
I don't know if I have an older version of the CALP diet (book is copyrite 1997, published 98) than watigress but mine definatley says have a snack ii you are hungry. Snacks must be from craving reducing food list and include both protien and high fiber veggies.
From my own experience this is not a fast diet but one that is easy to stick to because it allows so much flexability. Low fat protiens-eg tuna, real meats (unprocessed meats) will be better choices the the high fat processed foods, but I'm not sure if this is a fat or a salt thing. A good rule of thumb is 10x body weight in calories. So at 175 a person could have 1750 calorie intake and still loose wt.
The balance of food is the most important. If I want dessert I will have no high carb veggies. I useally try to eat the complex carbs -Vegetables of fruit rather than a sweet dessert High in carbs but not fiber.
I loose about %lbs a month on average after 6 months.
Hope this info is helpful, and this is only my take and what works for me!!!
Have a good one.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 06:33

BF:
Default CAD AND CALP

In the CAd book under the charts to tell you what to do when you lose too much (more than 2 lbs a week then add snacks to slow you down. If you are losing 1/2 to 2 then keep to the complimentay meals for breakfast and lunch.In CAlp under one of the options about meal frequency,it tells you to try to skip breakfast or lunch and have brunch. Never skip reward meal. Also the book talks about eventually getting to regular portions of food and away from exta portions. I'm taking the GTF chromium tablets like they suggested and my appetite has gone , In fact most of the time I forget to eat lunch if I am busy. I try to stick to normal portions at reward meal. Because when we get to maintenance we will have to watch what we eat if we don't want to gain it back.I've always been a big eater so it was difficult for me to cut back but now i have the chance and I'm taking it. This is my point of view for what works for me. I hated to give up the daily snacks but I'm grateful I can now without hunger. You will have to read and reread the book and make your own choices. The book gives you a lot of good info that's why I read both and also the HEALTHY FOR LIFE that the Hellers wrote. Wawtigress
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 21:56
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%
Cool

I'm new with this diet and I thank you all for all the posting. I've read the CAD book and done it before with poor results. I'm trying CALP now, and I'm about to receive the book (can't wait!) Until I do get it, I'm following the guidelines that I've been able to read from here. I'm very excited about it!

Thank you Wawtigress for all the info you share. I find it very helpful. For example, I didn't know that one could skip lunch. I wasn't hungry today. I ate lunch because I thought I "had" to...So, that's good to know. Also, I thought maybe I could skip the reward meal, but I read that you said never to do that! So, I'm taking notes here, thanks!

Anything else that you can share to speed up the loss? (I'd love to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week!) What else?? Tell me! Tell me!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 06:14

BF:
Default thanks for the response

I have almost stopped posting anything. Since i went to CAD/CALP, I don't hear from anyone so my daughter and I just respond to each other since she doesn't hear from anyone anymore since she switched. I'm steadily losing 1 1/2 lbs every week . The diet does work. The problem is people will not read the book and learn all the details of the diet and the ends and outs of it. Reading only the pages where the diet is listed won't do. You've got to read the whole book. That was the same with Dr. Atkins.I hope you have great sucess with the diet. I am enjoying life more and eating anything i want but going by what i have read thru out the book. I'm taking the GFT chromium like the book says and doing many other things and your right about missing lunch or breakfast but not the reward meal . It is all in the book but not on the diet listed pages. By the scales this am. and the averaging I do , I'm heading for another loss this week and it is just a couple of days into this week. I'm heading for a total of 20 lbs since 11/20/01 and not a hungry day since I started dieting. Hears to happy dieting and going by the book to have success. Wawtigress
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:50

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Please don't stop!

Please don't stop posting! Us CAD types have to stick together since we are so outnumbered here and you are a great success story!

Congrats on almost reaching your goal!

-animaldoc
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 06:39

BF:
Default Hi thanks, I will continue to post

hi, I will continue to post . I had numerous requests to keep on posting this morning. I thought i was typing to hear myself click . I'm still losing steadily 1 1/2 lbs a week and should reach my first goal of 180 Sunday. Then my next goal will be 170. My daughter is doing as well also except she started two weeks later than me. check out my journal to keep up with what i eat and i will continue to check CAD/CALP and respond. Wawtigress
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 07:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Exclamation Don't STOP , Wawtigress!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, Please, Watigress, don't stop posting. I have learned so much from your posts! There are a lot of CALP'ers on this forum. Alot more than I realized. And I know they read your posts daily! You are a great Inspiration to all of us! Just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in and ask you to continue to post!
Jo Ann Struggling in TEXAS
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:10

Plan: CALP
Stats: 180/164/120
BF:
Progress:
Default to Wawgress

DON'T STOP POSTING

The rest of us need you. We beginners learn so much from your posts.

Joyce
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:11

BF:
Progress:

Oops, sorry Wawtigress, spelled your name wrong.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%

Ditto!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 14:37

BF:
Default Don't worry , I'm here to stay

I got a little discouraged for a while because I felt like i was the only one posting. Each day when I would get back on , I would be the last post so i thought no one was out there. But I found out different and I'm glad so many people are posting now even if is just to say hello. I hope I give good advice . I don't want to sound stern or anything , I want everyone to have the same results that I am having. Wawtigress
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Default Howdy Wawtigress!!

.................seems to be quiet a few of us CAD/CALP'ers out here. I am seeing a lot of posts lately. I think it is GREAT! That is how people help each other. Right?

I have had 3 bad days..........had out of town company, but tomorrow is another day and I am getting back strick tomorrow! I do much better when I don't have company. LOL LOL

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 21:03

BF:
Progress:

I had a bad day too. Must be something in the air.

Oh, well, back to basics tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Joyce