Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 01:18

Plan: none yet
Stats: 175/175/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Anyone tried low-carbing the "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day"?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and will be doing LC soon, but just received the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day book in the mail, and am wondering if anyone has tried it with any kind of low-carb flour. I've searched the book's website and this and other LC forums and googled extensively, to no avail.

Anyone!?

Thanks!
Erica
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 09:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Low carb flours won't work in standard bread recipes. You really need the recipe to be adapted around the flour and they're all different.

You might find some recipes in the cooking section. There's an index to the recipes pinned to the top of each section.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

There's a big thread on it, KevinPA's worked his magic flour blend with this stuff, over on LowCarbFriends.com. I think searching under "slow rise" or some such might be more helpful. It was all triggered with the original Bittman article in the NY Times some 2 years ago so wouldn't be using the same phrasing.

That being said, best save it for well after Induction.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 22:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Here's a follow-up link you might find interesting, with Bittman and Jim Lahey (author of original method, I think) discussing new approaches:
http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008...-revisited.html
That was the key phrase, "no knead bread"...

#5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 06:50
Carpe Diem

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%

I tried "no knead bread" when that article first came out about 2 years ago. The method is not totally work free, but it did produce a crusty heavy bread that I was looking for at the time. I decided not to try it again because it involved more work (in my opinion) than regular kneaded bread and the process takes almost a full day, or overnight, to get the rise necessary to finally bake. The dough is difficult to handle, very sticky, because of the extra water and yeast required in the recipe. The cooking container, in my case a Dutch oven, and cooking oil, must be brought up to cooking temperature before you even put the dough into it. Preheating is a waste of energy, takes about 30 minutes, and you are now working with a very hot baking dish, and I could only do 1 loaf at a time. Then I was still eating bread on a daily basis, but decided to stick with store bought bread instead of going through the "no knead" process again. I have not eaten any bread for the past 6 months while LC'ing, and today I will only eat whole grain millet bread and that I limit to 2 slices a day.

If I were to get serious about making bread again, and stay LC, I would consider a bread machine and use the recipes found in the Recipe Section on this forum.