Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 16:34
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%
Default Raw/yield after cooking - que?

Hello Karen, Mistress of the Universe (of utensils and fonds...)!

This question might fit better in the Newbie section perhaps, but I try here anyway, for qualified tutoring... I seem to grasp Fitday very well in most cases. One thing about registering meat I find confusing though (might be a language barrier...)

The value that says "xx oz, raw (yield after cooking)", what on earth does that mean? First it says raw then yield after cooking... So, should I weigh my bacon slices or my beef before or after frying it, to get the correct figures according to that preset option? I normally prefer to work with raw material on Fitday, since it makes it much easier to handle the whole weighing/measuring chore. But if I have to, then I'll weigh the greazy, hot slices and burn my fingers instead.

Please, come to my aid and enlighten this poor soul.

/gil
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 01:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

What it means is you started out with a raw ingredient weighing x and what you get after cooking it will be the nutrition count on fitday. So with that particular description, you weigh it before cooking.

With meat, the only thing that will change is the fat content

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 00:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Indeed, exactly as Karen said.

I was rummaging around in my latest copy of MasterCook and found a more technical (and longwinded) explanation that says about the same thing whilst poking about in the help screens.

Both Fitday and MasterCook provide this feature...probably a few of the others as well, such as RecipeCalc, at a guess.

Quote:
R-T-C {Ready To Cook} For example, ground beef contains mostly protein and fat. After cooking, much of the liquid (containing water, fat, and trace nutrients) is drained and discarded. An R-T-C ingredient subtracts this loss of weight and nutrients. When using R-T-C ingredients, you would enter the raw weight, but nutrient values reflect the cooked weight.
For example, a hamburger casserole may call for “cooked, drained hamburger”— which will have far fewer calories than raw hamburger—to be combined with other ingredients. Raw hamburger would add extra fat calories since the fat hasn’t been drained.

MasterCook7© 2003 ValuSoft, a division of THQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Fun fun fun.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Sat, Oct-11-03 at 01:00.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 17:26
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Thank you thank you thank you, sweethearts!!