Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 05:35
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Targeting energy metabolism in brain cancer through calorie restriction and the ketogenic dietMalignant brain tumors are a significant health problem in children and adults and are largely unmanageable.
As a metabolic disorder involving the dysregulation of glycolysis and respiration (the Warburg effect), malignant brain cancer can be managed through changes in metabolic environment.
In contrast to malignant brain tumors that are mostly dependent on glycolysis for energy, normal neurons and glia readily transition to ketone bodies (β-hydroxybutyrate) for energy in vivo when glucose levels are reduced. The transition from glucose to ketone bodies as a major energy source is an evolutionary conserved adaptation to food deprivation that permits the survival of normal cells during extreme shifts in nutritional environment.
Only those cells with a flexible genome, honed through millions of years of environmental forcing and variability selection, can transition from one energy state to another.
We propose a different approach to brain cancer management that exploits the metabolic flexibility of normal cells at the expense of the genetically defective and less metabolically flexible tumor cells.
This approach to brain cancer management is supported from recent studies in orthotopic mouse brain tumor models and in human pediatric astrocytoma treated with calorie restriction and the ketogenic diet.
Issues of implementation and use protocols are discussed.

Full text of the paper if you follow the link.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 06:48
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thanks Hutchison. That's very interesting. I wonder if there is any reason to think that if it addresses one type/location of cancer it might not extrapolate to others.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

If you listen to Seyfeild talking to Jimmy Moore he thinks MOST (but not all) cancers would benefit. He is very keen on everyone who wants to prevent or reduce the risk of cancer incidence to do an annual fast for over a week to improve mitochondrial function and health.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 09:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009...er-vaccine.html

Quote:
Diabetes drug may help fight cancer, mouse study suggests

A commonly prescribed diabetes drug also has the potential to boost the immune system's response to cancer treatments, Canadian and American researchers have found.

In studies on mice published in Wednesday's issue of the journal Nature, Prof. Yongwon Choi, a professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, and his colleagues found the drug metformin increases the effectiveness of an experimental anti-cancer vaccine.

'I like to think of it as an immune system booster.'— Prof. Russell Jones
Cancer and diabetes may seem quite different, but researchers are uncovering common metabolic pathways in both diseases.

Cancer vaccines aim to treat the disease rather than prevent it, by priming the immune system to recognize cancerous cells as a threat before they grow out of control.

The challenge of cancer vaccines is to get the immune system to recognize the threat posed by cancer cells and mount enough of a response to eliminate the tumour, said study co-author Russell Jones, a professor at McGill University's Goodman Cancer Centre in Montreal.

The team said they serendipitously discovered that the immune system's specialized white blood cells known as CD 8 T-cells switch from burning glucose to fatty acids following infection.

"While I definitely would stop short of saying, 'Let's take it as a prophylactic therapy' [for cancer], because I think it's more complex than that, it certainly gives hope," said Jones, who also works in McGill's pathology department.

"Essentially, I like to think of it as an immune system booster."

Metformin is known to bring down blood sugar levels by mimicking starvation.

In the experiments, mice engineered to lack immunological memory were unable to switch from using glucose as a fuel source to using fatty acids.

Giving metformin "tricked" the T-cells into thinking they were starved, and restored their immunological memory, Jones explained.

The immunological memory of normal mice also improved.

Besides the effect on T-cells, metformin could reduce glucose availability to cancer cells, reducing their ability to fight or subvert the immune process.

http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/abstract/158/1/40

Quote:
Although female mice readily reject organs from allogeneic or semiallogeneic male donors, they do not reject the fetuses sired by those same donors. An explanation for this that has been made in the past is that the fetus influences its mother's immune response by sending fetal cells into the maternal circulation. To determine the frequency and magnitude of fetal to maternal cell migration, we employed a sensitive quantitative PCR technique to assess the numbers of male cells in the thymus, spleen, liver, lymph nodes, and peripheral blood of normal mice undergoing their first pregnancy. We found that fetal cell migration is not universal but occurs in only a fraction of pregnancies. Using a kinetic analysis of normal mice mated to syngeneic or allogeneic males, a comparison of normal and SCID mice, and testing of multiparous mice for CTL against fetal Ags, we found that migrating fetal cells were cleared by the maternal immune system. Thus the mother is not continuously exposed to circulating fetal cells and, in fact, has the capacity to eliminate them without eliminating the fetus.

Maybe the fetus has the ability to "subvert" the immune response, but individual fetal cells do not? Sort of like with cancer? (What does this say about drinking Neu5Gc isolated from red meat, and the immune response to that? No guarantees that those immune cells will go off and attack tissue that contains Neu5Gc, is there?)

This next is from the article posted by Valtor;

Quote:
In other words, normal mitochondrial function would facilitate expression of the differentiated state thereby suppressing the tumorigenic or undifferentiated state. This concept can link mitochondrial function to the long-standing controversy on cellular differentiation and tumorigenicity [5,163]. Respiration is required for the emergence and maintenance of differentiation, while loss of respiration leads to glycolysis, dedifferentiation, and unbridled proliferation [8,25]. These observations are consistent with the general hypothesis presented here, that prolonged impairment of mitochondrial energy metabolism underlies carcinogenesis. New studies are necessary to assess the degree to which cellular energy balance is restored in cybrids and in reprogrammed tumor cells.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 09:34

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Targeting energy metabolism in brain cancer through calorie restriction and the ketogenic diet[I]Malignant brain tumors are a significant health problem in children and adults and are largely unmanageable.
\

From the same article:

Quote:
Despite the efficacy of this therapeutic approach together with the absence of adverse side effects, no further human studies or clinical trials have been conducted on the therapeutic efficacy of the calorie restricted ketogenic diet (CRKD) for brain cancer in either children or adults. The reason for this is not clear but appears to reflect a preference by the North America Brain Tumor Collaborative for using "hand-me-down" drug therapies from other cancer studies rather than exploring less costly and more effective alternative approaches. [8],[13] This is unfortunate as our recent findings in brain tumor animal models show that the therapeutic potential of the CRKD, involving reduced glucose and elevated b-OHB is likely to be greater than that for any current brain tumor therapy. [14],[29]

That was from 1995. In 2007 this article appeared in the Times online:
Can a High-Fat Diet Beat Cancer?

Quote:
Since early 2007, Dr. Melanie Schmidt and biologist Ulrike Kämmerer, both at the Würzburg hospital, have been enrolling cancer patients in a Phase I clinical study of a most unexpected medication: fat. Their trial puts patients on a so-called ketogenic diet, which eliminates almost all carbohydrates, including sugar, and provides energy only from high-quality plant oils, such as hempseed and linseed oil, and protein from soy and animal products.

From same article:

Quote:
The tide appears to be shifting. A study similar to the trial in Würzburg is now under way in Amsterdam, and another, slated to begin in mid-October, is currently awaiting final approval by the ethics committee at the University Hospital in Tübingen, Germany. There, in the renowned old research institution in the German southwest, neuro-oncologist Dr. Johannes Rieger wants to enroll patients with glioblastoma and astrocytoma, aggressive brain cancers for which there are hardly any sustainable therapies. Cell culture and animal experiments suggest that these tumors should respond particularly well to low-carb, high-fat diets. And, usually, these patients are physically sound, since the cancer affects only the brain. "We hope, and we have reason to believe, that it will work," says Rieger.

In all these instances, the criticism is from people who believe in the traditional cancer treatments- surgery, chemo, radiation, drug therapy. They have a hard time with the notion that diet can perhaps prevent or perhaps treat cancer- even if it's merely part of a larger strategy.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 14:32

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Dr. Thomas Seyfried: A Calorie-Restricted Ketogenic Diet Could Be The Cure For Brain Cancer (Episode 302)
It's worth listening to Thomas Seyfried's interview with Jimmy Moore.

Thanks for that link - very interesting. I wish Jimmy had asked Dr. Seyfried if he follows his own advice and does a fast every year.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 14:36
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Thanks for that link - very interesting. I wish Jimmy had asked Dr. Seyfried if he follows his own advice and does a fast every year.

Would that affect the information or evaluation of it in some way? Just curious.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 15:06

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Would that affect the information or evaluation of it in some way? Just curious.

I'm just curious too. He kept emphasizing how hard it is to get most people to do something like this, so I kept waiting for him to say whether or not he does it himself, or for Jimmy to ask him if he does it. It just seemed an obvious question to ask.

It wouldn't affect my view of the information one way or the other, but I guess it would be added confirmation of how hard it is to do if the doctor recommending this step couldn't manage to do it himself.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 08:41

BF:

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Apr. 10, 2010) — Cancer cells grow so fast that they can outstrip their blood supply, leaving them short of oxygen. The cells then produce energy in a way that needs less oxygen but more sugar.

Researchers at the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center-Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute have designed an experimental drug that chokes off that sugar supply, causing the cells to self destruct.

The agent, called OSU-CG12, is an example of a new class of anticancer drugs called energy-restriction mimetic agents. It is described in a paper published recently in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.

"Energy restriction may offer a powerful new strategy for treating cancer because it targets a survival mechanism used by many types of cancer," says principal investigator Ching-Shih Chen, professor of medicinal chemistry, of internal medicine and of urology.

"Our study proves that this new agent kills cancer cells through energy restriction. This is important because it shows that it is possible to design drugs that target energy restriction, and it is exciting because energy-restricting mimetic agents may also be useful for other diseases, including metabolic syndromes, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and obesity," Chen adds.

Energy-restricting mimetic agents cause changes in cancer cells that are similar to those that occur in cancer cells deprived of their main energy source, the sugar glucose.

To design the new agent, Chen and his collaborators started with a drug called ciglitazone, which had been developed to treat type II diabetes but also showed anticancer activity in laboratory experiments.

That original drug produced its anti-diabetic effects by activating a protein called PPAR-gamma and a number of genes. The same mechanism was thought responsible for the drug's anticancer effects. Chen and his colleagues showed, however, that the anticancer effects were due to a different mechanism, one involving energy restriction.

To enhance that activity, they altered the structure of the ciglitazone molecule, producing OSU-CG12. Using prostate cancer and breast cancer cell lines, they showed that the new Ohio State agent was 10 times better at killing cancer cells than ciglitazone and a second agent, the drug resveratrol, a natural product found in grapes and red wine that has weak anticancer activity and also works through energy restriction.

Furthermore, they showed that the new agent both stops glucose from entering cancer cells and suppresses the cells' ability to metabolize the sugar.

Starved for fuel, the cancer cells begin consuming themselves, a process called autophagy -- self eating -- accompanied by other biochemical events that lead to the cells' death by a natural process called apoptosis.

Chen and his colleagues continue modifying OSU-CG12 to enhance its efficacy. They also hope to test the agent in other conditions such as cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...00407121219.htm

Another diabetes drug, making cancer cells uncomfortable.

It's funny that a drug that reduces blood glucose also reduces the uptake of glucose. Is fasting blood glucose high because the body fails to regulate it --insulin resistance, etc.,-- or, is it high because the body somehow "believes" that it needs to be that high? Is some tissue demanding glucose?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 08:45

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
...Is some tissue demanding glucose?

Most probably.

Patrick
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 09:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Go Bucks!!!
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 09:09

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...00407121219.htm

Another diabetes drug, making cancer cells uncomfortable.

It's funny that a drug that reduces blood glucose also reduces the uptake of glucose. Is fasting blood glucose high because the body fails to regulate it --insulin resistance, etc.,-- or, is it high because the body somehow "believes" that it needs to be that high? Is some tissue demanding glucose?

It's funny that you should say this. I can tell when my blood glucose is within the "normal" range because I don't feel quite...right. It feels too low and when I check it it is usually within the 85-90 range. Also, it is common for my fbs to be a little elevated on days where my weight is down. This isn't always the case but it surprises me that that happens at all. What does it all mean

Last edited by black57 : Sat, Apr-10-10 at 09:10. Reason: spelling
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 09:43

BF:

Black57 said;

Quote:
It's funny that you should say this. I can tell when my blood glucose is within the "normal" range because I don't feel quite...right. It feels too low and when I check it it is usually within the 85-90 range. Also, it is common for my fbs to be a little elevated on days where my weight is down.

This is just a guess, but...

Physiological insulin resistance? 85-90 when your cells have good access to free fatty acids might feel just fine, but if they don't, the kind of metabolic starvation that Taubes writes about might be in effect? If your blood sugar is a little (not a lot) elevated, paired with weight loss, it might just be a sign that cells have access to free fatty acids.

As for what it all means, during my manic episode, one of the things that flew through my brain was the meaning (well, at least the purpose) of life.

The purpose of life is to live in the real world.

Whatever that means.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 10:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
It's funny that you should say this. I can tell when my blood glucose is within the "normal" range because I don't feel quite...right. It feels too low and when I check it it is usually within the 85-90 range. Also, it is common for my fbs to be a little elevated on days where my weight is down.

That's what they call a "false hypo". Apparently not all that uncommon amongst people with higher blood sugars. I know a lot of new Atkins dieters experience that and think Atkins gives them hypoglycemia. It most likely isn't, they're just used to having much higher BG, probably undiagnosed diabetes.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 14:17

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
As for what it all means, during my manic episode, one of the things that flew through my brain was the meaning (well, at least the purpose) of life.

The purpose of life is to live in the real world.

Whatever that means.

And whatever that is.

I would claim that meaning (of anything) is a property of our minds, not of the world "out there", fwiw. Thus, would the purpose of life be the same for everyone, since every persons mind is different?

Beth