Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 20/18/16 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Pain in leg when running-

I have been running since I was 9 years old. I love the feeling, and I love to run. A few years ago, however, I started getting a pain in my right leg. Shin splints I thought, But this was different. As I'm running (and now when I walk fast) I get this bump that pops out on my leg (to the right of my shin about half way down my leg). Its squishy and the pain is so bad that I have to stop or limp very badly and it brings tears to my eyes. Its a burning pain that shoots all the way down to my foot. My leg swells up and turns red. I have no idea what this could be and I was wondering if anyone has experienced it before. For some reason hiking doesn't bother it, and I'm not sure if it is because I'm not walking on the road or if I'm walking at a slower pace.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 18:11

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I would suggest you see your GP for an ortho referral when you are experiencing a bout of the injury you described. Or if insurance is a concern, the nearest ER (just be sure to take a book and snacks.... )

Any "squishy bumps" popping up mid-tibia is most decidely not part of normal anatomy. Nevermind one would think the leg swelling and pain described would kinda seal the deal.

Sorry if that's not what you want to read, but it really is about as easy as you telling me what color my socks are right now to determine what is going on, even if I was a doctor to humans. The Internet really isn't the place to get correct a diagnosis for a handful of reasons.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 19:59
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Yeah, I don't recognize what you are saying as a common runner's complaint, I'd definitely see your doctor.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 20:26

Plan: Atkins Modified?
Stats: 148/134/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 108%

First let me say that you really should see a doctor... Second, I did have a friend that had something similar to what you are describing, it turned out to be a cyst that would become aggravated when she would walk and swell, it would then cause the surrounding tissue to press on nerves thus causing her pain. She had to have it removed... She is fine now, but you really should have it looked at.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-07, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 20/18/16 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks so much for all your replies. I know I should see a doctor, I've just been putting it off for a LONG time now. I will work up the nerve and make an appointment. I just didn't know if it was caused by running or not (like maybe it was common to runners) Guess not! ha.
Thanks again guys- I will try and update this when I see the doc so maybe if someone else has this problem they won't wait like I did and instead get to the docs and get it taken care of....regardless of what the problem turns out to be.