Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 19:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 142/127/115
BF:
Progress: 56%
Arrow switching to the zone from Dr. Atkins

Hi - I've been on the Dr. Atkins since the beginning of july. it seems to be working. the only thing i do not like is that i am used to eating fruit and veggies. the zone allows this and it seems far more healthier than dr. atkins. for me a more abundant supply of fruits and vegetables is far more nutritious than not. the antioxidants and other nutrients that you get plus the natural fiber too. so, i am going to give it a try and please let me know if anyone else feels the same way. i know in some of the previous posts that the people who have switched do. also, i have the "week in the zone" book and reread it for the 3rd time - and each time it makes more since to me. i guess i want a more nutritionally sound diet - rather than just supplements all the time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 15:45

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

I started the zone after my brother and father both lost 70 pounds a piece. ITs really easy to follow, almost painfully easy, just get a big ole can of whey protien and your set. Almost any combination of food seems to get balanced with a 20g scoop of protien. The only real sacrifices I seem to have made are in the snack food and butter departments and thats just because the foods are so ridiculously carb and fat heavy. Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 11:01

Plan: zone
Stats: 211/211/195
BF:20%/20%/15%
Progress: 0%
Question zone switching

Hi!

I have been a low carb proponent for years. I am a chiropractor and suggest atkins and plp all the time. I myself have recently switched to the zone because of the balance of glucagon and inslulin. I have reallay enjoyed the switch and am doing quite well. Is anyone else experiencing the same ?? I noticed that this is the least used topic in the lc board.

Dr Doug
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 22:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/174.5/140
BF:26%
Progress: 12%
Default I am a chiro too!

Hi Dr. Doug, I just came across your post...I have been doing a modified atkins for 3 weeks now, thinkning about going more into the zone...how do you like the zone? do you teach your patients about general low carbing or do you consult them on specific lc plans? I, too, am thinking about implementing this way of life in my practice and teaching my patients...

I practice in roswell, georgia.

hope to hear from you soon!

Dr. Suzanne
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 04:39

Hi Dr Suzanne!

How are things in Roswell?? Anyway,inresponse to your post I amfinding the zone quite livable and easier to follow. While I still am and Atkins proponent i agress with the other posts in here that the fruits and veggies appeal to me. Plus I am a bit of a gym rat so this gives me a little boost that I need.I can keep an adequate amount of the proper foods in my office fridge and eat wheen I need to during the day, How is your experience so far?

Dr Doug
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 04:46

Default suzbuff patient education

Suzbuff:
I was rereading your post andI failed to mention that I primarily use atkins or pp for my patients because ot the ease of use.The zone seem a bit much for most people in the beginning.

Dr Doug
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 06:40

Hi Dr. Doug...

I love the LC philosophy, but i found with atkins it was a little difficult for me to keep up in the gym as well...so i tried modifying a little bit- i am trying to decide what amount of carbs is right for me. I have come up with this so far..lower carbs on the days that i am not lifting(20-30g) and then when i do lift- up my carbs, especialy the post workout meal. I will let you know how this works...

where did you go to school??

suz
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 11:44

Default scool

Hi suzbuff!!

Just got back in town so I just saw your post. In amswer to your question I started ad Palmer and then ended my education at Life in Marietta. While at Palmer I got interested in Pettibon work and then when I wen to Life I ended up doing cbp. In between schools I pursued music and and some other media stuff. How about you?

Dr Doug
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 20:09

Plan: Zone
Stats: 155/153/140
BF:22%
Progress: 13%
Smile I Love the Zone/Book Recommendation

Hi There! I am so excited to see some recent activity on the Zone board. Out of the Zone books I have been reading, I have found ZonePerfect meals in minutes to be the most helpful. It is spiral bound, contains all of the basics, a handy basic block counter, and a lot of good recipes to get you started.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 13:11

Hey Jade!

Thanks for the tip on the zone book. I will add it to my library. I get the impression from your enthusiasm that you were glad that there were one or two of us out here doing the zone. It is not an often visited site and it is good to get some feedback. Thanks for taking the time to post!! I will keep checking back for any reply you may have made.

Good Luck!

Dr Doug
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 14:05

Hi dr. doug!

I thought i answered the post from you on this thread..but i don't see it here..hhmmm.. anyway..as for myself, i graduated from life june 2001. I worked as an associate in montana (did not like the clinic at all..very pain oriented) , then i moved to kissimmee florida and worked in a very high volume practice as an intern, THEN i moved back to georgia and started my own pratice as an IC! my husband is almost done with the DC program at life. As for technique...i lived and breathed gonstead while in school I was an officer in the club. As an intern though, i learned ALOT about CBP and incorporated alot of that into how I practice! what a small world!!!

suzanne
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 04:42

Hey suzbuff!
Yes, the world is small indeed!Of course I had the pleasure of attending lcc in the moveable wall days. At that time I was so into technique and chiro I would have never mentioned a dietary strategy to my patients. As I have gotten older I have used a more rounded approach.cbp remains the focus of all I do. Don and I remain good friends along with a lot of the old war horses.Pettibon and I were good friends but I sensed a resentment when I started to work with Harrison so I haven't seen him. Gonstead is a great technique and certainly well though out especially when done as He taught it!

I hope your husband does well. My wife runs my front desk and is great at it.

See ya!

Doug
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 06:11

Smile hi

Dr. doug...

The politics of chiropractic technique definately is not my favorite..that was the one thing i really hated about studying gonstead, even within the one technique, there were split groups. I ignored all that and became a sponge taking what i can from whoever, regardless of what " side " they are on! We also use a more rounded approach in our office, my brother just moved here this weekend - he graduated from massage therapy school and is joining our practice! we are very excited! Since it seems you have more experience in cbp than i do, would you mind if i asked you some questions from time to time..possibly by emailing, i am sure atkins to zoners don't give a hoot about what we are conversing about

thanks suz
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 11:54

Suz,

I would love to hear from you. You are right, this is definitely boring to the non chiro. My email is dguyot1dc~aol.com.

Dr Doug
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 15:24

Plan: Mostly atkins
Stats: 198/165/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:don't know
Progress: 57%

Hello, I noticed this thread and was wondering a few things...

One of you said that you switched because of "because of the balance of glucagon and inslulin."

I have been cruising along pretty much on Atkins woe and just recently my hypoglycemia symptoms reappeared, horribly.

I notice that I get almost immediate releaf when I eat something high fiber like nuts or oats. And have been wondering if it is possible to add this back into my diet without gaining weight.

I am at 155 lbs and want to be at 140. Started at 198 last April.

I had been weight lifting every other day with walking in between. And I did something to my neck or shoulders and gave myself a few days off and then my hypoglycemia symptoms are back but 50 times worse! I can't seem to keep my blood sugars level for any length of time after a small meal and snacking lightly.

Any suggestions? Does anyone think that the Zone sounds like the right solution here?

I'm desparate, my face tingles, it's hard to get a deep breath in, and I've had several panic attacks that result in my electrolites getting all messed up and almost passing out.