Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 16:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
But can part of a well balanced healthy diet which would NOT cause obesity.

Of course, for those of us who have an actual addiction to carbohydrates (and that is a large percentage of our members), carbohydrates do indeed cause obesity.

Rosebud
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 17:11
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Carbohydrates are nature's energy food.

Yup, and that 10 minutes of glorious "energy" is coma-inducing to me.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 20:11

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Quote:
Carbohydrates are nature's energy food

Well, fat has more than twice as much energy as carbohydrate. Talk about energy food!!!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 20:56
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000times
Hey, Piet can't help being uneducated. The "No Troll Left Behind" program is woefully underfunded.

HEY!!!!

Why don't you people post spew alerts!!!!

Quote:

ok i've got the roasting pit dug and the skewers are soaking... who brought the spice rub and the fresh herbiage to stuff him?

i'm thinking roasted troll for dinner sound mighty good right now.

Plate him up!!

OK--have to ask this...what is it about April that all the "Balls" in the world are coming to visit???

And no, I would never think of going to the vegan/Peta forum and posting crap--who gives a holy sh*t what other people eat! Jeez, I have enough trouble feeding my self to be worried what other people are eating.

Lisa
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 21:58

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

balls? i must have missed that... *sigh*.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 07:20

Plan: none
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 100
BF:
Progress:

Wow, my admittedly incendiary post certainly got a lot of you hot under the collar! Interesting so many feel so defensive on the subject. And I guess I am a troll, if a definition of troll is someone who doesn't belong on a board, is new and not 'a member' in the fullest sense of the word. Boards are always cosy places where people who feel they 'know' the others can hang out with the like minded.

I guess I'm just a contrarian at heart, been arguing all my life with people who seem to hold fixed ideas.

My point about religion is valid because it was my first impression on arriving here. I sensed [with no preconceived ideas] an air of devotee, about many of the posts and threads, and certainly something as aberated as anti-carbohydrates - the basis of most diets around the world, especially the poor - would have to be a matter of faith.

Some of the posters here should take stock of themselves, they are sounding quite deranged [view of outsider, think about it], and should perhaps read my original post again [I'm sorry if big paragraphs are difficult for some, I'm trying to chop it up into easily digestible bits!

I had no intention to criticise or put down, it's just that the ethos of anti-carbs gives rise to so many arguments against, I barely know where to start [and my post wasn't the definitive argument by any means].

Fact: If a group of small children is left to help themselves to a wide range of foodstuffs over a sufficient period of time, they choose a balanced diet composed of all the foods that are habitually eaten, in other words they balance their nutritional intake and that includes carbohydrates - your villain of the piece. The same is true of other primate young such as orang utans. This would suggest that we need all these foods in order to stay healthy. Our body tells us what we need to eat [allied to this is the well observed phenomenon of people who have had a liver transplant desiring foods they have never eaten but which the donor ate a lot of]. Our organs send messages about their needs, the brain is central processor, not dictator.

The rich world/poor world issue re meat is valid as rich countries eat much more meat which is wasteful to rear, taking many acres to grow a relatively small amount of food which would otherwise produce vast amounts of vegetable food. This is beyond dispute. The Japanese are starting to suffer the diet related diseases of the developed western world as their diet changes from mostly rice [carb!] to more meat and saturated fats, refined sugars etc.

Notice I have not mentioned till now the suffering of sentient animals whose lives are blighted by man, and whose deaths feed your addiction. I am not from Peta, nor from anywhere else which has a 'stance', I am merely me. I don't personally eat mammals, they are too like me for me to feel comfortable with it, it would feel like canibalism - should I also eat dog? My dog? How about unwanted babies, all that protein going to waste. How about human road kill, why waste the protein burying it?

I live in an area in which farming of animals is the major way of making a living, I see how they are treated, I see their confused, scared, apprehensive young faces as they are trucked around the roads to the slaughter house, I see the liquid shit pouring from the trucks as they empty their bowels in fear. I'm a victim of my own sensitivity I know. I couldn't separate this from the nice clean steak in the supermarket, all vacuum plastic wrapped hygene. I respect the honesty of those meat eaters who either rear and kill their own animals, or who go out and shoot their meat. The rest is hypocrisy.

I occasionally eat free range chicken, it forms a very small part of my diet. So I'm no rabid veggie, I do think that far too many people eat far too much meat though, and the results are all around me, obese people waddling along to the next mouth watering fix.

Obviously a very few people have medical conditions that can cause obesity and I am sympathetic to them, and anyone who goes into a coma from eating carbohydrates is clearly one of them. But that's another matter entirely, and applies to very few, the majority who are overweight are eating too much. Of course you can find an occasional fat vegetarian, I knew one once. He was a cook, and loved his food, which he ate far too much of every day. But the majority of vegetarians aren't fat, it's a simple observable fact.

As to why I should spend time posting here, a good point as I doubt I stand a chance of converting anyone, but I do love a good argument. The clash of ideas is meat and drink to me!
I think the underlying problem is taste. Foods are made so tasty that people get addicted to the sensations, they want more, it is, as the saying goes, very morish. That's why manufacturers add refined sugars, salt, MSG and other flavours to their processed food, they want people to keep coming back for more and making them more profits. Capitalism at its best! And slowly the idea of what constitutes a normal portion tends to rise. I have been astonished, horrified even, at the amount of food some pile on their plates, and then consume. Twice what I find acceptable, but then I haven't stretched my stomach out to resemble an eight month pregnancy.

Having gone on for far too long, I will just add that the best way to both lose weight and detoxify your body is to go on a diet of brown rice, highly nutritious and non fattening, and, after you get over the lack of over-the-top taste sensations, subtlely tasty. Stick on that for a couple of weeks and you'll lose easily as much as you could ever do on no-carb and you'll feel incredibly healthy and alive.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 07:23

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Of course, for those of us who have an actual addiction to carbohydrates (and that is a large percentage of our members), carbohydrates do indeed cause obesity.

Rosebud

As far as I'm aware, carbohydrate isn't addicitve, so I think the 'addiction' is just an over fondness for food generally.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 07:26

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Fact: If a group of small children is left to help themselves to a wide range of foodstuffs over a sufficient period of time, they choose a balanced diet composed of all the foods that are habitually eaten, in other words they balance their nutritional intake and that includes carbohydrates - your villain of the piece. The same is true of other primate young such as orang utans. This would suggest that we need all these foods in order to stay healthy. Our body tells us what we need to eat [allied to this is the well observed phenomenon of people who have had a liver transplant desiring foods they have never eaten but which the donor ate a lot of]. Our organs send messages about their needs, the brain is central processor, not dictator.

Obviously, you don't have children.

ETA: It might help you to read the book too. Dr. Atkins advises to gradually add back in carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and fruits. The low carb phase is to lose weight. Even then, his plan is to be at 20grams for two weeks. He says you can follow it for longer, if desired. The Ongoing weight loss phase is individual. You determine your level that you can eat and still lose weight.

You're entitled to your opinion. So are we.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 07:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:100% sure I got it
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet

I respect the honesty of those meat eaters who either rear and kill their own animals, or who go out and shoot their meat.

I fish AND hunt! Your respect is appreciated
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 07:42

I missed that part. We used to keep rabbits and chickens. We also had hogs. I posted somewhere else how when we made pork rinds, you had to shave the skin as the hairs don't cook off!! I was also in the FFA in school and we had calves. So, I guess I'm just a blood thirsty heathen. Considering that my great grandmother was 100% Cherokee, it's appropriate!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 08:06

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Well, since you have begun to engage in real discussion I think it's safe to not call you what you appeared to be in the first place - a troll. Sorry, I didn't think you were any different than any of the other vegan fanatics who sometimes lob bombs here. They are far more religious than any of us.

And recent research supports low carb, and has chipped away swignificantly at low fat credibility. But we're still dogmatic and they are not.

Quote:
I occasionally eat free range chicken, it forms a very small part of my diet. So I'm no rabid veggie, I do think that far too many people eat far too much meat though, and the results are all around me, obese people waddling along to the next mouth watering fix.

Sugar and simple carbohydrates do not play a role? Take a typical McDonald's meal...a quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a Coke.

The quarter pounder, in total, has 410 calories. 19g fat; 37g carb.
http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal...s=item&itemID=6

A large order of fries has 570 calories. 30g from fat, 70g from carbohydrate.
http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal...tem&itemID=6053

A medium Coke has 210 calories, no fat, and 58g carb.
http://app.mcdonalds.com/bagamcmeal...item&itemID=521

In this sea of calories, the evil beef patty contributes 310 cal and 20g fat calories in total. The simple carbs and sugar aren't to blame; it's the fat, in your mind.

Of all this, you focus on the MEAT as the cause of obesity? Seriously? Who is being dogmatic now? Most Americans eat most of their calories from carb - not fat. And somehow (one might call it religious) you blame the meat.

Low carbers, successful ones, tend to eliminate processed and simple carbs. They eat lots of vegetables. I eat far more than I did pre-LC. What they eliminate is refined carb, sugar, HCFS, and highly processed foods. Vegetarians eat more processed foods than low carbers, if they depend on grains. I eat very little that isn't whole food. I eliminated grains, mostly, and eat more vegetable and about the same amount of meat. What I did, what's saved my life, is to eliminate the unnatural refined high carb grain based food that was killing me. Congratulations on not being fat; and sorry that you chose to be so smug about it.

In a world where we have decreased fat intake over the last twenty years and also increased heart disease, diabetes, and obesity, you are right. Someone is being dogmatic and ignoring facts. Someone is a religious fanatic. The question to pose to yourself, is exactly who that might be.

Last edited by kyrasdad : Fri, Apr-06-07 at 08:29.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 08:26
Registered Member

Stats: 230/230/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:

My point about religion is valid because it was my first impression on arriving here. I sensed [with no preconceived ideas] an air of devotee, about many of the posts and threads, and certainly something as aberated as anti-carbohydrates - the basis of most diets around the world, especially the poor - would have to be a matter of faith. .

That is a pathetic reason! We are a group of like minded people with a common interest. I am sure you could come to crocketville and call us the same thing. The common thread is what pulls people together. It seems you don't have a common thread so why are you here?

Quote:
Some of the posters here should take stock of themselves, they are sounding quite deranged [view of outsider, think about it], and should perhaps read my original post again [I'm sorry if big paragraphs are difficult for some, I'm trying to chop it up into easily digestible bits!

You are only here for a rise in people that is why you are insulting! You ARE a troll!

Quote:

The rich world/poor world issue re meat is valid as rich countries eat much more meat which is wasteful to rear, taking many acres to grow a relatively small amount of food which would otherwise produce vast amounts of vegetable food. This is beyond dispute. The Japanese are starting to suffer the diet related diseases of the developed western world as their diet changes from mostly rice [carb!] to more meat and saturated fats, refined sugars etc.

Carbs ARE VERY addicting! Because my body craves it all day I should eat sugar laden foods all day? That is what it wants me to do! And that is a load of crap "your body tells you what it needs" No it does not! So far my body wants me to eat junk 24/7. I have done that so far and am now 234.

Quote:
Notice I have not mentioned till now the suffering of sentient animals whose lives are blighted by man, and whose deaths feed your addiction. I am not from Peta, nor from anywhere else which has a 'stance', I am merely me. I don't personally eat mammals, they are too like me for me to feel comfortable with it, it would feel like canibalism - should I also eat dog? My dog? How about unwanted babies, all that protein going to waste. How about human road kill, why waste the protein burying it?

I live in an area in which farming of animals is the major way of making a living, I see how they are treated, I see their confused, scared, apprehensive young faces as they are trucked around the roads to the slaughter house, I see the liquid shit pouring from the trucks as they empty their bowels in fear. I'm a victim of my own sensitivity I know. I couldn't separate this from the nice clean steak in the supermarket, all vacuum plastic wrapped hygene. I respect the honesty of those meat eaters who either rear and kill their own animals, or who go out and shoot their meat. The rest is hypocrisy.

Now the animal thing...this is what you have been waiting for!

Quote:
As to why I should spend time posting here, a good point as I doubt I stand a chance of converting anyone, but I do love a good argument. The clash of ideas is meat and drink to me!
I think the underlying problem is taste. Foods are made so tasty that people get addicted to the sensations, they want more, it is, as the saying goes, very morish. That's why manufacturers add refined sugars, salt, MSG and other flavours to their processed food, they want people to keep coming back for more and making them more profits. Capitalism at its best! And slowly the idea of what constitutes a normal portion tends to rise. I have been astonished, horrified even, at the amount of food some pile on their plates, and then consume. Twice what I find acceptable, but then I haven't stretched my stomach out to resemble an eight month pregnancy.

Having gone on for far too long, I will just add that the best way to both lose weight and detoxify your body is to go on a diet of brown rice, highly nutritious and non fattening, and, after you get over the lack of over-the-top taste sensations, subtlely tasty. Stick on that for a couple of weeks and you'll lose easily as much as you could ever do on no-carb and you'll feel incredibly healthy and alive.

Well so far you have not made any good points!
P.S you should do a spell check next time you post!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 08:28
Registered Member

Stats: 230/230/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, carbohydrate isn't addicitve, so I think the 'addiction' is just an over fondness for food generally.

Then your "awareness" is wrong! It is addictive just as alcohol and if you have never been addicted to carbs you will NEVER understand!
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 09:06

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthinner!
Obviously, you don't have children.

I do actually, in fact I now have grandchildren as well. That passage was concerning scientific surveys that have been carried out, both with children, and with orang utans. So obviously you don't read anything that isn't within this narrow remit.

Quote:
ETA: It might help you to read the book too. Dr. Atkins advises to gradually add back in carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and fruits. The low carb phase is to lose weight. Even then, his plan is to be at 20grams for two weeks. He says you can follow it for longer, if desired. The Ongoing weight loss phase is individual. You determine your level that you can eat and still lose weight.

You're entitled to your opinion. So are we.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, did I ever say otherwise? I merely suggest your opinions are wrong or at best half-baked. It's called argument, something few here seem to understand. You shouldn't feel attacked, you should have a counter argument. But why follow 'leaders' and 'gurus' why not make your own mind up. Dr Atkins advises this, Dr Atkins says I mustn't do that. What makes him an expert in eating? He was just satisfying a fad for dieting, and making a nice living out of it as well.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 09:09

You can believe that if you want to. It's your life. And mine, is mine.

PS. I have read similar reports. However, my personal experience, having babysat from the age of 13 till 17, is that kids will eat just junk if allowed or available. No, I didn't feed it to them, their parents provided a snack. Pretty much always a sugary one. This was in the 70's. We had orange trees. They weren't clamoring for those. Although chimps will. We went to the zoo and one of the chimps just went nuts when he/she saw the orange I was carrying. I got the guy to give it to the chimp. But, since I'm not carrying out a "controlled" study, I'm sure it holds no water for you. And that's an interesting point, just how much junk was available in that study. And did they feel pressure to "eat right"? I'm sure with your strong feelings against eating meat, your kids felt pressure to eat right, and not necessarily what they wanted.

PPS. I have made my own mind up. I have tried numerous other diets. Including your brown rice suggestion. It did not work for me.

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Fri, Apr-06-07 at 09:26.