Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Warrior Diet
Stats: 171.9/171.9/161 Male 190 Centimeters / 6.2 Ft
BF:Don't Know
Progress: 0%
Default It's not about Low-Carb is about Low-IG High pH! Try to convince me

I have seen a lot of time the succesfull results of people following both, a low-carb diet and a raw foo diet. Those diets are very good.

Picture of the succesfull results in a raw-food diet:
http://www.rawandjuicy.com/images/s...oreandafter.gif
http://www.welikeitraw.com/photos/u...ercookedraw.jpg
http://eatfreshfood.com/pageimages/b4after.jpg

About the low-carb diet anyone can find in this forum a lot of pictures.

My question is... Is really important the amount of carbs? or the Glycemic Index? I know both are very important, but I think the GI is more important than the amount of carbs.

The weight gain is mainly based on the insulin response, instead of the total amount or carbs intake. We know that all processed carbs are poison.

I post this because each time I start a low carb, high protein moderate-high fat diet, I don't feel enough good. I have performed a lot of tests about dieting and sometime I was in a ketosis (fat-burning mode) while eating a lot of vegetables and some fruit. So, I think the GI is more important than the amount of carbs.

Maybe the key is Non-processed Low GI carbs instead of Non processed Low-Carb diet???
If we eat a good/big amount of NATURAL LOW GI carbs, we can lose fat because the total "calorie" intake is related to the metabolism. High "calorie" intake per meal = Fast metabolism.

Maybe the key is high GI produces a lot of acid waste in the body and the insulin peaks suck minerals and nutrients from our organism, and low GI not.
I know the bigger meal, the low TOTAL GI. So, when we eat more, the total GI is lower. But that isn't good explained in the GI Theory books.

We aren't overweight, we're Over Acid!!!

Last edited by DontLikeHC : Sat, Feb-28-09 at 10:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 17:37
The Girl from Ipomea

Plan: Atkins 72,Zero Carb
Stats: 229/212/160 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:well shucks....
Progress: 25%

So Eat more meat. Fun things to do with stomach acid before it dissapears with the SAD.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 06:02

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

The glycemic Index is overrated. It is really about glycemic load. And the biochemistry is really simple: if you take in 200 grams of carbs, there is no reason for your liver to start the gluconeogenesis, and ketones will not be produced.

On the other hand : as long as you burn more energy than you eat, you will lose weight. But on a high carb menu this is so much more difficult because the insuline creates your hungerfeelings. No insuline no hunger. And carbs can be very addictive.

Apart from weightloss : the less insuline the healthier overall you get.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 12:55

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLikeHC
I post this because each time I start a low carb, high protein moderate-high fat diet, I don't feel enough good. I have performed a lot of tests about dieting and sometime I was in a ketosis (fat-burning mode) while eating a lot of vegetables and some fruit. So, I think the GI is more important than the amount of carbs.
I don't feel good on high protein either. Low carb isn't by definition high protein, it can be high fat.

Quote:
Maybe the key is Non-processed Low GI carbs instead of Non processed Low-Carb diet???
GI has always struck me as useless on its own... any ranking system assigning the same value to any amount of a given food -- whether the serving is a quarter teaspoon or 50 pounds -- ignores the reality that your body doesn't consider them equivalent. It would make more sense if you were talking about glycemic load.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 15:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLikeHC
My question is... Is really important the amount of carbs? or the Glycemic Index? I know both are very important, but I think the GI is more important than the amount of carbs.

As someone already mentioned, glycemic load is probably a better tool when it comes to low carbing although the glycemic index is relevent also.
As you want to avoid eating high GI foods like white bread, white rice and potatoes, neither do you want to carry a high glycemic load (eating a lot of lower GI foods but having a higher carb count)
As for acid blood, I don't buy it. Our bodies work very hard to maintain blood pH within a very narrow range and we will feel quite ill and be in medical distress when it gets out of that very narrow range; conditions referred to as Acidosis (blood too acid) and Alkalosis (blood too alkaline).

You say that you feel bad when you try to follow a high protein, moderate fat, low carb plan.
How do you define that; how many grams of protein, how many grams of fat and how many grams of carbs?
Most low carb plans are not high protein. They are, in fact, moderate protein, high fat, low carb plans.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/180/175 Male 59 inches
BF:
Progress:

Read this blog post as to why "It's time to let go of the Glycemic Index": http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...emic-index.html

"Overall, these studies do not support the idea that lowering the glycemic index of carbohydrate foods is useful for weight loss, insulin or glucose control, or anything else besides complicating your life. If anything, the longest two studies support the alternate hypothesis: that high-GI carbohydrates are superior to low-GI carbohydrates."
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 20:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I have performed a lot of tests about dieting and sometime I was in a ketosis (fat-burning mode) while eating a lot of vegetables and some fruit. So, I think the GI is more important than the amount of carbs.

Eating a lot of vegetables and some fruit, if you were in ketosis, it wasn't about glycemic index, it was about low calories. If that isn't it, if you are showing high ketones even after eating lots of carbs, go see a doctor. Or if you don't want to do that, at least invest in a blood glucose monitor. Then go see a doctor anyways.