Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default New Cholesterol Results after 14 months on Atkins

I just recently had my cholesterol tested after being on the Atkins Diet for 14 months, and for comparison I pulled out the testing results I received 5 months after starting the diet. I don't have pre-diet numbers to compare to, but these results show pretty decent progress.
Overall, I've lost 72 pounds since beginning the diet 14 months ago.

April 2003; Jan. 2004; Recommended Levels
HDL 34 (heart risk); 56; above 35 (higher is better)
Triglycerides 97; 52; below 160 (lower is better)
LDL 105; 119; below 130 (lower is better)
Fasting Glucose 102; 85; range 76-110 is recommended
Total Cholesterol 158; 185; below 200
T.C./HDL Ratio 4.6 (heart risk); 3.3; below 4.5

My total cholesterol went up from 158 to 185, but my total cholesterol to HDL ratio went way down (4.6 to 3.3) which is the more important number as long as total cholesterol is below 200. My ratio last year of 4.6 put me in the "average heart attack victim" category according to their chart. This year, 3.3 puts me in the "Half standard risk" category, moving 2 spots on the chart toward healthier risk.

I'm only concerned a little that my LDL's went up from 105 to 119. The rise in my total cholesterol looks mostly to be in my HDL level (34 to 56).

I'm curious what others think about these numbers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 08:36

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

You do realize that LDL is a calculated number, not an actual reading? If your tri's go down (which they did), then your LDL AUTOMATICALLY goes up.

Here's a piece that I'm stealing from another board about how LDL is calculated--
Quote:
People don't understand that LDL is not routinely measured but rather is calculated using the Friedewald equation: LDL = total cholesterol - HDL - Triglycerides divided by 5 (which is actually the calculated VLDL.)

From this you can see that as triglycerides drop, LDL AUTOMATICALLY goes up! Doing Atkins quite frequently raises LDL, but it's only because Atkins consistently LOWERS triglycerides. At the same time, the LDL that are present are most likely Pattern A LDL, the "good" LDL which are larger, fluffy, buoyant, and the kind less likely to oxidize and cause problems.

For example:

Total Cholesterol 320
HDL 60
Triglycerides 500 divided by 5 = 100
Calculated LDL 160

Total Cholesterol 320
HDL 60
Triglycerides 150 divided by 5 = 30
Calculated LDL 230

Total Cholesterol 320
HDL 60
Triglycerides 50 divided by 5 =10
Calculated LDL 250

Ss you can see, merely lowering or raising triglycerides will lower or raise LDL, whether LDL actually changed or not. If you have copies of previous cholesterol tests, and the results include triglycerides and HDL, do your own calculations.

When triglycerides go up, so does the VLDL. High triglycerides also means high VLDL; low triglycerides means low VLDL. VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) is a dangerous lipoprotein, so it's a good idea to lower triglycerides...if one believes that cholesterol causes heart disease.

There are good LDL and bad LDL particles. Pattern A is considered the good LDL. Pattern B is considered the bad LDL. Therefore, ratios that have anything to do with LDL are meaningless. The ratio would only be relevant if there is no such thing as good LDL, and if the LDL was the only lipoprotein reflected in an LDL result.

Also, because the LDL is calculated, everything that isn't HDL and VLDL gets lumped under LDL, whether it's LDL or not. There are other lipoproteins that aren't measured and these are lumped under the LDL. Therefore, the calculated LDL number is misleading, and doesn't really mean much.

So, just what exactly does it mean LDL "went up?" It means absolutely nothing! The only way to know your true risk from LDL is to have the LDL particles measured and quantified. You have to ask specifically for the LDL to be measured. If you've been adequately controlling generated blood sugar and eating enough saturated fat, your LDL particle will most likely be LDL Pattern A.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 09:24
Registered Member

Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Great response---extremely helpful to me.

I'm definitely getting enough saturated fat--that is if BBQ Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, Cheeseburgers, butter, heavy cream are the right sources for it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 10:47

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by millermack
Great response---extremely helpful to me.

I'm definitely getting enough saturated fat--that is if BBQ Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, Cheeseburgers, butter, heavy cream are the right sources for it.

Absolutely!

Just check that BBQ sauce for sugar, and the sausage for fillers. Other than that, you're good to go!