Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-16, 15:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Excellent..though now you are approaching the area where they will tell you it's too low just can't win with some docs.

Don't miss the continuing saga of having a CAC (now down to $99) or yet another, new improved type of VAP test ($109), the CardioIQ:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471526
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-16, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/185/185 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just an update to bump my own thread.

I started in September 2015 at 246 and now December 2016, I'm at 206.

My last check up was 6 months ago and my doctor took me off one of my high blood pressure medications. I have another check up this Friday and I'm hoping he'll take me off the other blood pressure medication, I checked it at Rite Aid and it's 115 / 85.

I have been faithfully following Atkins all this time and exercising at the gym and increased my 4 mile walks to five days a week. I walk a lot.

I feel fantastic. I have not been hungry or craving at all in the last year and a half. I feel satiated and eat foods I love. I used to be a spaghetti addict but about four months ago I was at a friend's house and took two bites of spaghetti and didn't like it. I didn't want it at all. Give me a grilled NY steak and asparagus any day!

My weight loss is slowing but that's to be expected as I near my goal weight. I have 20 pounds more to lose. I probably won't change anything that I'm doing now once I hit my goal weight anyway. I enjoy the food and love the exercise.

I'll post my cholesterol and BP when I get the results in a few weeks.

If he says my LDL is too high, I'm considering refusing his statin prescription.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 04:03

Fantastic news on weight, BP and your all around good health. My guess is still that the 3 month cholesterol reflected that you were actively shedding fat and theses numbers will be closer to "normal" lab values. Do let us know!
If you want more comfort about the state of your heart, check the previous posts and other thread about the CAC. Why read cholesterol tea leaves when the heart and arteries can be examined directly?
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-16, 11:57

BF:

Ok, got the new results as of Dec. 19, 2016

Weight 204

total cholesterol 285

triglycerides 167

HDL 70

VLDL calculated 33

LDL calculated 182

In Jan 2016 it was:

Total : 341

Trigyclerides 215

HDL 79

LDL 219

So I see that it is going down.

I'm very happy with Atkins and have been on it for a year and a half. Went from 246 to 204 effortlessly. I'm never hungry. Increased my walks to 3 1/2 miles, 5 days a week. I also do weight lifting and stretching at the gym. I'm 55 years old and feel great.

The doc took me off one of my blood pressure medications.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-16, 13:39

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

That's a whole bowl full of good news James! Depending on the type of BP meds you might put on a bit of water weight as some are diuretic. I was on spironolactone and furosemide for other reasons (sometimes these are used to treat BP) and was tracking my weight every day. This graph shows the skew of about 10-20 lbs last spring as I was experimenting getting of of them.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/pt/users...ight-167661.jpg

By then I had abandoned a weight loss goal and since I didn't have a weight loss goal there was no deadline to achieve that goal so that puts me at exactly the weight I am today and in exactly the amount of time it took me to get here

I'm not advocating giving up a goal, just letting you know that my weight bumped up a bit after abandoning the medications.

I would have it no other way Good Luck, You will do well.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-17, 10:56

BF:

Here's an update. Cholesterol is WAY DOWN. I've been following Atkins for a couple years. At first cholesterol went way up and my doctor called it a crazy diet and told me to stop it. I did not and stayed on Atkins.

Now look at my latest blood test:

DEC 2017

Total 247

Triglycerides 147

HDL 64

VLDL 29 calculated

LDL 154 calculated

In Jan 2016 it was:

Total : 341

Trigyclerides 215

HDL 79

LDL 219

Now my doctor doesn't say anything about Atkins, good or bad. But you can't deny these numbers. And would you believe it, his advice is: to limit saturated fat, limit red meat, and eat more grains. HA ! I told him I have bacon, sausage and eggs every morning and steak three times a week. HA !
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-17, 11:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Wow congratulations on your great numbers, you have done great!!

Quote:
Now my doctor doesn't say anything about Atkins, good or bad. But you can't deny these numbers. And would you believe it, his advice is: to limit saturated fat, limit red meat, and eat more grains. HA ! I told him I have bacon, sausage and eggs every morning and steak three times a week. HA !

I had to laugh when I read what the doctor said to eat...
When will these low-fat brainwashed doctors learn when it's right in front of their face?...in black and white!!!

Good for you making it plain and clear that you eat eggs, bacon and sausage every day...Me Too!!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-17, 04:10

Hi James,
Thanks for stopping by a year later 🙂 with your good news. I wonder if your stats are current...did you lose more weight or happy and healthy whatever stable weight you are now?

And just out of cholesterol curiosity, you may find some new experiments looking at cholesterol as an "energy delivery system" interesting. The engineer "proving an inversion pattern" is a good speaker. His website explaining cholesterol on a LC diet, and the "Feldman protocol" to manage short term results. http://cholesterolcode.com
I haven’t had a lipid test since I did the CAC, so can’t personally attest it works, but just find all of Dave's work fascinating. Big pharma has been selling a multi-billion dollar drug to lower a number that moves around rapidly in response to what you eat and the energy you need.

Here's one thread on it: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477759
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-23, 13:17

BF:

Here's a 7 year later update.

I'm 180 to 185 and my blood work is excellent. I do not take any medication at all. My blood pressure is around 125 over 75. I'm 5'9", 62 years old, and 185 with a large frame. 34 inch waist. I started on Atkins seven years ago when I was 246 with a 44 inch waist.

I have fewer than 20 carbs a day simply because I don't want them. I've totally lost my taste and appetite for sugar and junk carbs. I LOVE red meat, eggs, and bacon. I love waking up in the morning and having no sugar coffee, one egg, three piece of bacon, sausages, and a slice of keto, 1 gram carb toast loaded with real butter. I feel so satiated and happy. I skip lunch because I'm not hungry. Sometimes, I'll have an Atkins shake for lunch. I drink tons of water all day. I always have water in front of me. For dinner, it's usually meat and a small salad with just a touch of sugar free dressing.

I walk 3 miles a day, five days a week. Two days a week, I do weight lifting in our club house gym.

I feel absolutely and totally fantastic and happy about my body and my health.

My ex wife married an obese man and my son in law's father is obese as well. Same age I am. They can barely walk a block. When we have dinners together at family functions (daughter's graduation, etc.), they look at me oddly when I eat only the steak and some asparagus and wash it down with water. For breakfast, I have an omelet and send the toast and potatoes back to the kitchen. Most people are surprised when I tell them my age, they guess me to be about 45 or 50 at the most.

Many years ago, I was well on my way to becoming one of the typical, unhappy, obese men over 50 who has given up on trying. People on a dozen medications, trying to starve themselves and only getting more and more unhappy and miserable. Thank God for Dr. Atkins. He has given me an extra 30 years of a happy, energetic life and I plan to use them. I had a shitty childhood with bad parents and I'm going to make up for it during these last thirty.

What strikes me the most at this point of doing Atkins is that it is a part of my life and something I don't have to think about or fight any sort of urges or cravings. During the first couple years, I would have a carb cheat meal once a month of spaghetti and garlic bread because it was my weakness. Now, I don't even want it. A couple years ago, I was stuck at an airport overnight and hadn't eaten for a day, The only thing available was a donut and I was very hungry. I took one bite and spit it out. Wow! It was so sweet. No way, I was going to eat it. I waited until the next day and dined happily on hard boiled eggs and pork chops.

At this point, I would have to force myself to go back on the typical American diet. It's so unnatural. 90% of the supermarket is junk.

I went hardcore Atkins and stayed hard core Atkins. I feel great, even after 7 years.

Last edited by jamesriske : Sat, Dec-23-23 at 13:25.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-23, 13:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

What a great update James! Congratulations on your success and long may it continue!