Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 23:24

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I really did not notice any weight gain. Mind you I did not weigh while quitting smoking. If I did gain weight it was less than 10 pounds and that could be attributed to my crappy eating at the time. Nancy is correct, the smoking is so much worse. Read over that website I advised above (whyquit.com) sacred me enough to at least wake up to the fact I was destroying my body even if I did not see it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 09:08

Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks. I'm so glad to hear this. I'm definitely ready now. I was looking over the website. Not that it scared me. But it has a ton of info. I need info and ideas. Found an article about the effects of nicotine on blood sugar. Must now do more research before I quit so I know exactly what's going to happen and why.
Thanks again and great job!!!! PS in totally stealing your idea and starting a journal here
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 10:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
. Must now do more research before I quit so I know exactly what's going to happen and why.

Don't use this an excuse, though. It is so easy to find those little excuses.

My rationale for quitting was this:

I don't have a strong desire to quit today. What will it take for me to have that strong desire to quit? Lung cancer? Do I wait, like my uncle, until I have that diagnosis?

Ultimately I decided I had to act with less than strong desire to quit. I let my rational brain make that decision, not the addiction. Then I told myself the entire time that it takes 3 days to get it out of your system. After that, it gets easier. And it did!

My final bit of advice is... don't hang around smokers and especially do not drink around smokers. Your judgement will crumble and you will rationalize that one cig won't re-addict you. Next morning you'll wake up with a pack of smokes and yet another rationalization.

I wish you the best! Just focus on regaining a keen sense of smell, a nice tasting mouth, and the end of the dictator who rules your life and demands you do something every few hours/minutes.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 10:58

Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

I didn't know about the 3 day thing. That is what I will focus on. I temporarily live with my parents and they both smoke, but I'll have to just get past that.

Thanks again for the info and the website. I know I can do it if I just do it
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 02:43

Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oh yes the 3 day thing is wonderful to focus on. I can do anything for 3 days

Most of the stories I was like, "Whatever" the ones that really creeped me out were the ones about limbs being removed due to smoking. I am much too vain to allow my body to be chopped up.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 14:57

Plan: Atkins 2002ish/LCHF
Stats: 228/166/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just my 2 cents. Smoking is a nasty habit & addiction. You have to break the habit. Find out where and when you smoke and avoid those situations. All those situations. The hardest part of going smoke-free for me was when I drove. That was such a trigger and something that I couldn't avoid, so I put something in my hand and sometimes I even brought it up to my mouth and breathed in deeply to simulate a drag. I had to do that to get through my craving. Then over time I was able to ditch the thing but didn't ditch the inhaling. I would sometimes out of the blue just breath in deeply and exhale. It worked for me. I can't say it would work for everyone.

Even after all these years, I have a time or 2 gotten into my car and lowered the window so as the smoke can escape for when I light up. I don't of course.