Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-11, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/330/220 Male 71
BF:
Progress: -16%

Why say "meatless"? Just say tofu or whatever that stuff is.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-11, 05:39

Plan: Dr Charles Clark
Stats: 147/138/112 Female 152.4
BF:
Progress: 26%

This is very helpful, I've started the Charles Clark, and I've had to cut out fruits and any bulky carb veggies, including flour, grains etc.

It's a challenge, and pricey as we seem to go through a lot of vegetables as I've gotten the whole family on it, (3 of us) but hopefully it's working!
Thanks for the tips.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-11, 08:51

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I bought a juicer with my Christmas money and am using it every morning. My apple/carrot combination for breakfast gives me a super helping of vitamins and energy. It does get a little expensive, but our health is SO worth it
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-11, 10:13

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Have you seen the Arnold's Way website? http://www.arnoldsway.com/ The green smoothies information is wonderful, and so are the YouTubes!
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 16:38

Plan: Atkins Vegetarian
Stats: 154/154/139 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Humous alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by has
Jocelyn Hi I used to be huge on Humous and
pita. Do you know of a alternate snack that would
be simular? I've tried veggies to dip but it is not
quite the same and you can't have a lot of those
either.

Hi - you could try baba ghanouj which is similarly yummy but eggplant based. See http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1

ujuj
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 06:39

Plan: Vegetarian
Stats: 208/190/168 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord
I struggled with doing Atkins as a vegetarian as I was determined to include the induction phase.
I found this very easy once I bought the two excellent vegetarian low-carb books by Rose Elliot.
Both are cheap on Amazon and the recipes are so good that my (non-veggie) housemate who was on Atkins started using those in preference to the Atkins recipes because they looked tastier.
Buying those books would be my biggest tip to anyone, particularly if you're wanting to do a 20g carb induction phase as a vegetarian.

I second that, Overlord. Rose Elliot's books have made a low carb diet not only possible but also enjoyable for me. As an LC vegetarian I have learned SO much more about diet generally.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: The Vegetarian Low-Carb
Stats: 187/149/144 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Hey! There's a thread for ME

Nobody in the Newbies area told me there was a vegetarian thread on this forum. Hurray! So happy. And Rose Elliot was my introduction to possibly doing low carb while staying a vegetarian. Great cookbook! Although I do wish some of her measurements made more sense for an American audience.

And I do NOT recommend her chocolate muffins if you make them with Stevia. Horrible after taste.

I wish I had found this thread sooner. I've been feeling a bit like a freak over on the newbie thread.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 02:46

Plan: Vegetarian
Stats: 208/190/168 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Stevia problem. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan
Nobody in the Newbies area told me there was a vegetarian thread on this forum. Hurray! So happy. And Rose Elliot was my introduction to possibly doing low carb while staying a vegetarian. Great cookbook! Although I do wish some of her measurements made more sense for an American audience.

And I do NOT recommend her chocolate muffins if you make them with Stevia. Horrible after taste.

I have found Rose Elliot's book really useful too. I used to hate tofu but she has one or two good recipes with it which I use regularly. I tend to avoid cakes, except when I am doing a LOT of exercise but I bought a shedload of stevia powder for my breakfasts (I live in Spain and it's not easy to get here) and I have given up on it. I find it has a very bitter taste whatever I do with it. The problem is getting the dose right. Mostly I use sweetener for my porridge. I do a carb-cycling diet, so it's eggs, mushrooms and spinach one day and porridge the next for breakfast. Any help with how to get the dose of stevia right would be VERY welcome, because this stuff is not cheap!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 21:05
Registered Member

Plan: The Vegetarian Low-Carb
Stats: 187/149/144 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default I avoid Stevia mostly

I just use it for my tea sometimes or sprinkle it on oatmeal. I can't stand the after-taste. I do think the trick is to use as little as possible. If I overdose it, then it is awful. So always go light. I used it in the chocolate muffin recipe in Elliot's book and I overdid the Stevia.

Generally I just don't make baked goods anymore, but I think if I do, I'll use sugar and just watch my in-take.

I love her baked-egg pizza recipe! That was majorly tasty and it really did have the flavors of pizza.

Have you tried her bread recipes? Just wondering.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-13, 03:24

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banting
I have found Rose Elliot's book really useful too. I used to hate tofu but she has one or two good recipes with it which I use regularly. I tend to avoid cakes, except when I am doing a LOT of exercise but I bought a shedload of stevia powder for my breakfasts (I live in Spain and it's not easy to get here) and I have given up on it. I find it has a very bitter taste whatever I do with it. The problem is getting the dose right. Mostly I use sweetener for my porridge. I do a carb-cycling diet, so it's eggs, mushrooms and spinach one day and porridge the next for breakfast. Any help with how to get the dose of stevia right would be VERY welcome, because this stuff is not cheap!

Natural stevia does have a bitter, liquorice taste. The only brand that doesn't have an aftertaste is NuNaturals. It comes in carb free powder form or liquid. It really does make a difference for baking or making desserts. You can buy it on-line from iherb which ship obroad.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 11:47

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I know this is a very old thread, but thanks for keeping it here. I happened on this by accident, as I was getting a little overwhelmed with what I can and can"t eat. I have to follow a vegan type lc diet due to health concerns

My body will not allow me to eat animal products at all without consequences in the form of debilitating pain. I was eating meat and dairy but can't anymore. I've been getting my protein in the form of nuts and seeds and nut butters and soy. I have some black soy beans in the slow cooker as we speak.

I guess I was trying to see what other vegan type protein sources were out there
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-15, 06:18

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Have you tried making seitan with wheat gluten ?
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 01:40
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Anybody home? It doesn't look like there are any people visiting this forum. I am a lacto - ova vegetarian and have started low carb to curb my appetite and pull the reins on my weight gain. This has been good for me. I look forward to hearing from other vegie low carbers.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 15:27

Plan: WFPB - Vegetarian & LC
Stats: 180/180/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default We are arriving and I am here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signey
Anybody home? It doesn't look like there are any people visiting this forum. I am a lacto - ova vegetarian and have started low carb to curb my appetite and pull the reins on my weight gain. This has been good for me. I look forward to hearing from other vegie low carbers.

A bunch of us are coming over from LCF. I hope to see you here and posting again soon.