Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 11:41

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 246/246/150 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Is there a difference between Atkins 72 & just Atkins?

Hello all ,

I'm rather new to lowcarbing and got my information about how to do it using a book by Dr. Atkins I got second hand from a seller on Amazon. The cover looks like this:

and the edition date is 1983. Is this Atkins 72 or regular Atkins? Is there a difference between the two?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 19:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGonaBSlim
Hello all ,

I'm rather new to lowcarbing and got my information about how to do it using a book by Dr. Atkins I got second hand from a seller on Amazon.
and the edition date is 1983. Is this Atkins 72 or regular Atkins? Is there a difference between the two?
I think that is a reprint of the 1972 version - look on the back of the title page and if they list 1972 .... 1983 in the copyright list they should be the same. They may have added the 1973 Senate hearings and fiddled with the prologue and recipes, but the diet is the same as 1972 (and the one that works best IMO).
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 08:15
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Yeppers exactly what Deirda said, it's the reprint of the original Atkins '72! It's the same copy I have but mine has a yellow cover!

Don't know if there's such a thing as "regular Atkins" b/c it's been up-dated several times. Each time they've tweaked the diet... all I know is the original A '72 version is what works for me.

As far as I know these are the different versions, if Imma wrong someone please tell me and I'll edit this list:

Original 1972 version
1992 version
2002 version
New Atkins for a New You
Atkins 20
Atkins 40

Wishing you much success on your journey to better health, IGonaBSlim!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 09:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

The 2002 version, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution book, is the one I used to get started. I've read the original '72 version, too, and the biggest difference I find is that with the newer version you have two weeks of induction versus just one week with the original. However, you can immediately include a much wider variety of vegetables in your diet versus very restricted salads in the original. I was happier and more comfortable jumping right in with a higher percentage of vegetables and less meat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 04:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have all the Atkins Diet Books, plus other books he wrote like "age-defying" and "vita-nutrient" etc. purchased at thrift stores and library book sales over the years, a sort of Atkins through the ages. As Jo mentioned, there have been many tweaks along the way, but consider "just Atkins" as using Real Food..no Bars, shakes, or frozen meals as pushed on the website.

One caveat about even the first book you have, is if he had a patient in his clinic with diabetes or who needed to lose significant weight, they would be encouraged to stay on Induction as long as possible. When Dr Westman first visited the Atkins clinic to design a clinical trial and the diet rules to be used for it, many patient records showed that. So the trial Diet (still used at Duke today) is basically the first Induction week until at goal, no added foods, no phases, etc. Books are written to address the diet needs of everyone even if they want to lose 10 pounds; clinic plans help those with serious health and weight issues. The diet is further personalized in medical check-ups as weight is lost, but for a good start, using the edition you bought and sticking to the first week rules works well.

Edit: After I wrote this, checked our library's "on order" list, apparently the Atkins company has a new book in the works,Atkins: Eat Right, Not Less: Your Guidebook for Living a Low-Carb and Low-Sugar Lifestyle Appealing to those who won’t go the NGNS (no grain, no sugar) road.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Nov-05-17 at 08:14.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 06:04
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Janet, I totally agree with you about
Quote:
...consider "just Atkins" as using Real Food..no Bars, shakes, or frozen meals as pushed on the website.
I know eating real food (nothing processed except for my artificial sweetener in my morning cup of joe) has been one of the keys to my success over the years...

And WOW, I didn't realize there were SOOOO many Atkins' books out there... Since the LC WOE isn't a ONE SIZE fits all WOE, that makes sense. Hopefully everyone will be able to find the "one" that works for them!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I agree. Real food is where it's at! Using as a baseline meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and lower carb vegetables cooked in or garnished with healthy fats is simple, effective, healthful, and easy to stick to.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-17, 15:23

BF:

Thank you for all the good info! When I was shopping for a copy of the Atkins book and entered his name into the search gizmo on Amazon, I was surprised at how many books came up and got a bit confused. Glad to hear I got the right one.

And since I have lots to lose, I'm planning to stay on Induction much longer than 2 weeks, what with the holidays coming up and potentially falling off the wagon here & there.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-17, 21:21

BF:

Back in '72 the only LC processed "diet" foods were Tab and D-Zerta (a sugar free jello-type desert) - so Atkins '72 focussed on real foods. It was a nice change from iceberg lettuce, cottage cheese and grapefruit, the depressing staples of most other (low cal) diets back then.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 10:39

BF:

--so I noticed while reading it. I remember my mom drinking those shiny pink cans of Tab when I was a child in the 1980's! I took a few sips and thought it was vile. Though not as bad as Dad's beer. Need to check out the soda aisle in the supermarket next time I go to see if it's still around.

I don't remember D-Zerta, though. I guess sugar free Jello would be the closest modern substitute.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 04:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

D-Zerta was owned by Jello, and in the 80s, the name was changed to Sugar-Free Jello. Similar history with Tab, owned by Coca-Cola, but was replaced by Diet Coke. Though supposedly there is a taste difference because different sweeteners were used over the years..good luck finding it.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 13:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
D-Zerta was owned by Jello, and in the 80s, the name was changed to Sugar-Free Jello. Similar history with Tab, owned by Coca-Cola, but was replaced by Diet Coke. Though supposedly there is a taste difference because different sweeteners were used over the years..good luck finding it.
Kraft owned & trademarked both the D-Zerta & Jello brand names. Names were changed when cyclamates were banned in the US, since people were starting to believe that TaB & D-Zerta could cause cancer (in mice; humans would need to ingest 1000 times their normal amounts to receive an equivalent dose). New name, new taste. The new names also gave a better indication of what the product was. Some people thought TaB was for women only because of the hot pink can; real men can drink Diet Coke, increasing sales.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Nov-08-17 at 13:40.