Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 08:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Homemade Frankenfood -- Staples of the Dr Frankenstinkle's Lab

Ok, I love to play "mad kitchen scientist" and see what thing I can come up with.

I just received Resistant Starch, Oat Fiber and more Polydextrose.

I just threw out a bag of Wheat Protein Isolate (too hard to work with), Guar Gum (never used it), and oat flour (too carby).

I tried to make a syrup of polydextrose and carmel Torani syrup, but it didn't get thick! I expect I need more PDX.

I haven't played with the resistant starch yet. But I'm thinking of making some crackers with the oat fiber (0 net carbs) and the resistant starch.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 09:01
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

That guar gum you chucked would have thickened up your syrup! Try adding about 1/2 teaspoon, 1/8 at a time, to the hot syrup and stir briskly until dissolved between additions.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 09:35
Experimenter

BF:

It gives it a snotty, gel like consistency though. I've still got a big container of Xanthum gum left and a box of gelatin, should I feel inclined towards slippery syrups. I think I've even got Agar hiding out somewhere.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-05, 11:25
Experimenter

BF:

FYI: My interest in resistant starch started with this article: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=resistant

I also think that Dreamfields pasta uses it, although that might be "modified starch".

Basically it can be used in place of flour. It is much lower carb and has many of the same characteristics of flour.

Another article:
http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/in...resisstarch.htm
Quote:
A study by Higgins et al, published in October 2004 issue of Nutrition and Metabolism showed that replacing 5.4% of the carbohydrate content of a meal with resistant starch increased fat oxidation by 23% in a sample of 12 study subjects. This increase is apparantly sustained throughout the day, even if only meal contains RS and the increased fat oxidation is sustained if one keeps eating RS on a daily basis. It appears that the RS changes the order in which the body burns food. Usually carbohydrates are used first, but when RS is present, dietary fat is oxidised first into energy before it has a chance to be stored as body fat. This study suggests that including foods high in RS in your daily diet may help with weight management.

Sounds a bit like RS is high in Amylose starches which, if I recall correctly, is the sort that gives corn starch its ability to absorb lots of water and cling onto other amylose molecules and thicken things. ... I think...

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Sep-19-05 at 12:30.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 12:20
Experimenter

BF:

Just to report back. The oat fiber is great! It makes a really nice texture in baked stuff. Very fine texture and not at all fiberous like you'd expect if you used bran or something. It has 5 calories and 0 carbs per 28g.

The resistant starch is 0 calories and I believe 0 digestable carbs for 28g. I would replace flour (or flour substitute) at about 25% wiht this.

They both have very high fiber.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 13:55

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

hello nancy lc

i just got some poly d fiber plus. you always have pretty great ideas, any clue what i could do with it? i also have a good quantity of , oh shoot, now i forgot, i think it is oat bran. whatever it is, the nutrition info said one carb per 1/4 cup. i know that's nuts, but i have a bad habit of throwing this stuff in containers so it won't spoil, and then telling myself i'll remember what it is, yeah right i'll look at the bin when i go to the store today and get it straight

i haven't really done anything with either one, so any ideas, any source, would be great. that reminds me, do ya'll often see people posting low carb recipes that you know belong to someone else, but the poster is taking credit? i saw that today. shocking to say the least . no variations either, it was woed for work cut and paste except the name.

i haven't had much luck with the xanthan gum, it lumped up on me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 14:40
Experimenter

BF:

Oat bran? Hmmm... I wonder if it is like my oat fiber.

Yeah, a fellow named Scott123 has a bunch of great ideas for Polydextrose, which he often calls PDX. He evens has made caramels with it! You might want to try searching the recipe section for his ideas. But basically, it has a lot of the same properties as sugar, so I use it for making syrups and replacing sugar in some recipes and as a thickner in others.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 14:41
Experimenter

BF:

Here's one of Scotts contributions: http://forums.lowcarber.org/showthr...ht=polydextrose
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 11:22

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Nancy, where do you get that polydextrose, and also the RS? Also, I got a bottle of glycerin, but am not sure if I can believe it's zero carb. It tastes like corn syrup! I've used a smidgeon of it, but don't want to use much till I find out more about it. Do you know anything about it? Thanks.~Gail
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 11:41
Experimenter

BF:

I hear Netrition.com has it, but I think it is cheaper at Honeyville Grains, http://www.store.honeyvillegrain.co...TS&Category=288

If you get this stuff, go easy on it. All this fiber hitting the system at once gave me a bit of a bellyache yesterday!

Everything I've heard about glycerin is that you don't metabolise it as a sugar. I have some, but I haven't tried to use it. Does it taste like syrup really? I haven't tried it yet. I remember my Mom used to make a dry skin treatment that had glycerine in it and it had this odd taste to it, but she also put camphor in it, so maybe that is what I tasted.

Oh look, Dr. Frankenstinkle's Library!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Food_additives

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Sep-22-05 at 11:49.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 15:12
Experimenter

BF:

Curious about the GI of sugar alcohols, PDX, glycerin(e)?
Here's a helpful article: http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 21:54

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Nancy, thanks for the info. I'll be reading up on those links now. ~Gail
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 18:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Everything I've heard about glycerin is that you don't metabolise it as a sugar. I have some, but I haven't tried to use it. Does it taste like syrup really? I haven't tried it yet...

4.34 kCals per gram, metabolized by the LIVER (and turned directly into glycogen which is then either stored or converted to glucose depending on the glucagon/insulin cycle...) rather than directly into the bloodstream as glucose via the intestinal walls -- this molecule (as glycerol which is precisely the same thing) is the backbone of fat molecules which is released when the fat molecule is broken down into free fatty acids (3 mols iirc) and the lone glycerol mol.

Valuable for hypoglycemics who need to raise their bloodsugars in an indirect way (e.g., when having a hypoglycemic 'episode') rather than the whole spiking/crashing scenario.

In other words, TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch, c.f. Heinlein) and it's NOT carbfree, just deferred carbs (a.k.a. low glycemic carbs) if anything.

Does have amazing and wonderful properties as a demulcent though, great in lotions and ice cream!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 06:39

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i made brownies with the poly d fiber plus the other day. it came out fabulously! the right size, the right texture, chewy and everything. i can't wait to try making some other stuff with it. i haven't seen very many recipes using it though. i just adapted a better homes brownie recipe. hopefully more people will experiment with it soon and we'll see some other neat recipes out there.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 10:07
Experimenter

BF:

Not sure how to translate that about glycerine, Jude! Lets see, doesn't the body convert protein into glycogen when it needs glucose and you're eating low carb?

Here's what Mendoza's site says:
Quote:
“We did a study on glycerine at GI Testing, but the data don’t belong to me so I cannot publish it — except it was published in abstract form — and up to 75g glycerine had a negligible effect on blood glucose and insulin in normal subjects.’ He cites his article, “Oral glycerine has a negligible effect on plasma glucose and insulin in normal subjects” in Diabetes 2002;51(Supplement 2):A602. Some others believe, however, that it might have a greater impact on people with type 2 diabetes who have overactive livers.

Playdoh! Post your recipe please!

I've now got to find non-gluten ways to bake. I'm trying out a gluten-free diet to see if it resolves some of my health issues. I'm thinking it does. My tummy/bowels feel so much better. But dang it all, I love carbquik!