Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/166/143 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Strength training

I'd like some suggestions on how to start on a basic strength training program. I don't and can't afford to belong to a gym, but do have some small weights at home and would also consider purchasing a few more. Do those of you that weight train do primarily arms and chest? I figure my cardio (walking, running, step aerobics) will help me burn fat too but would like the strength training boost others have mentioned. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:54
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

When I started this round of LC, I did the following, 3 times per week:

Chest: Flat Bench Press
Back: Seated Pulley Row
Lower Back: Hyperextension on bench
Shoulders: Seated Dumbbell Press
Quadriceps: Leg Press or Squat
Hamstrings: Leg Curl
Calves: Standing Calf Raise
Biceps: Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curl or Standing Barbell Curl
Triceps: Pulley Push Down
Abs: Crunch and Reverse Crunch

This looks like a lot, but I only did 1 short warmup set plus 1 "work" set of each. The whole workout took about 25 minutes. Now I do a more advanced workout which splits the body across the 3 days, so each part gets trained more intensely.

You can go here for explanations of the exercises. Another good site to check out is www.stumptuous.com/weights.html. The woman who writes that really knows her onions, as they say over here.

If you are on extremely low carbs (<25/day), you may find that you need to increase them by 5 or even 10 on weights days, in order to get the most from your workout. YMMV, experiment and see what works for you.

Emily
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 16:51
Registered Member

Stats: 208/178/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I first started with Body for Life and then found out about Jorge Cruise's program "8 min in the morning". Both have books, but if you go through their web sites you can get the information. I do Atkins instead of their recommended nuitrition program. Links

www.bodyforlife.com
www.jorgecruise.com

The major difference is BFL is 3 weight training days a week and 3 cardio. You work with different weight levels, which is a pain if you need to constantly change the amount of weight on each dumbbell. I am finding 8MM easier to fit into my day (just 8 min every morning). I still do cardio in the evenings. There is a link to the prevention magazine site that explains this program.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:35

Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

I do weights monday/wendesday/friday and cardio monday-friday.

I do upper/lower on the same day because I don't have a lot of time for the gym. I do however rotate what I do if I can ... like one week I do inclined bench, then regular bench next time. I just keep it simple, basic exercises. I don't have someone to spot me so I can't max out like I want to. I recommend anyone lift weights in conjunction with an arobic program several times a week. BTW Sports Authority has their dumbells onsale this week and through today (Sunday) tell them you got a call saying your a special customer and are to receive a $10 off $20 purchase so it's not too shabby (see thread here )
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:49

Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%

I do weights monday/wendesday/friday and cardio monday-friday.

I do upper/lower on the same day because I don't have a lot of time for the gym. I do however rotate what I do if I can ... like one week I do inclined bench, then regular bench next time. I just keep it simple, basic exercises. I don't have someone to spot me so I can't max out like I want to. I recommend anyone lift weights in conjunction with an arobic program several times a week. BTW Sports Authority has their dumbells onsale this week and through today (Sunday) tell them you got a call saying your a special customer and are to receive a $10 off $20 purchase so it's not too shabby (see thread here )
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:59

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Strength training actually burns MORE fat than cardio does Don't do too much cardio, it's catabolic (eats muscle!) I don't just train arms and chest, I train everything, try not to leave anything out, even train traps and forearms.

Definitely check out Body For Life. It's a great program to start with and you don't have to do the nutrition. It's all about intensity. I did 2 challenges. After finding myself too tired all the time doing BFL I do a 4 day split now which works great for me:
day 1: chest/shoulders
day 2: off/20 mins cardio
day 3: back
day 4: off/cardio
day 5: legs
day 6: bis/tris/forearms
day 7: off-no cardio
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 23:16
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzemon
I'd like some suggestions on how to start on a basic strength training program. I don't and can't afford to belong to a gym, but do have some small weights at home and would also consider purchasing a few more. Do those of you that weight train do primarily arms and chest? I figure my cardio (walking, running, step aerobics) will help me burn fat too but would like the strength training boost others have mentioned. Thanks!

The best strength training exercises are called "compound" exercises. These exercises jolt the body into growing faster than other exercises. There are several ways to approach training. Most women fear lifting weights as they believe they'll bulk up and look funny. This actually takes more work than you think and the weight involved is normally very heavy.

You can still be strong and fit without looking like arnold swarzinegger's twin sister.. lol. Since you don't have access to a gym, you'll proably want to do something closer to home. Like pilates or tai bo. These will work your aerobic side and give you strength. You can also try isometric exercises. This requires NO weight, only resistance. ((Feel free to look these up online.))

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcat
Most women fear lifting weights as they believe they'll bulk up and look funny. This actually takes more work than you think and the weight involved is normally very heavy.
To take it even further - it's not possible, naturally. Women are from the planet estrogen, men are from the planet testosterone. No matter how heavy women lift, unless they are getting some 'help' from illegal substances, they are not going to look like men. Take it from someone who regularly leg presses over 600 lbs.

Suze, I'd definitely look at a structured program you can follow at home, like Body-for-life or Body-Rx. I'd also focus on working my whole body. The largest muscles in your body are in your lower body and working them will provide you with lean, long metabolically active tissue that eats fat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Why short change yourself by working only your chest and arms?

You can learn more about BFL at www.bodyforlife.com and you can find BodyRx at www.bodyrx.com

Cheers,
-Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:00
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
To take it even further - it's not possible, naturally. Women are from the planet estrogen, men are from the planet testosterone. No matter how heavy women lift, unless they are getting some 'help' from illegal substances, they are not going to look like men. Take it from someone who regularly leg presses over 600 lbs.

Hear, hear....

I've been lifting since 1986, done loads of heavy power training, and after all of this I don't resemble a man in the least. I have gotten really strong though, which pays some nice dividends.

Emily
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 18:24

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

#11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 23:11

Stats: 173/166/143 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile

Thanks everyone for all the great input. Body for Life looks like a good program, as do some of the other links mentioned, I will definitely look further into them. Definitely looks like I'm going to need to buy a weight bench and some basic weights, but in the meantime I also found some great suggestions on the Atkins website. http://atkins.com/howto/goodhealth.html
This is in the same vain as the 'dumbells' link, texascarl. Thanks again!

Last edited by suzemon : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 23:15.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 06:41
Registered Member

Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

I agree with Nat's and tholian's posts. I lift heavy and I can't even get to look like Madonna (which I wouldn't mind at all), much less look like a man.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:57

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi. I'm new here, but a veteran home exerciser. I need company and a coach, so I use videos. Lots and lots of videos! A good place to investigate home workouts is
www.videofitness.com
Reviews, stories, and an excellent forum.

I can't even begin to tell you the range of videos I own! Right now, I'm enjoying the Slim Series from Beachbody.com These are workouts using light weights, and (frequently) compound exercises. Excellent muscle training and a major calorie burn. (Not the same as cardiovascular training, like running, but still good hard work!)

I'm seeing nice arm, chest, and shoulder muscles, and even (incredible!) thinner thighs! And I'm 57 years old.

I like reading Body for Life just for inspiration!