Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Birth control, Zovia, & higher doses of estrogen??

I recently started taking Ortho-tricyclin again after realizing that it wasn't affecting my weight loss at all. However, I have a new doctor and a new health plan (Kaiser) and when I went in to ask for more pills, they prescribed me a completely different type of formulation.

I've been pretty used to Ortho-tri or -novum and the low level of hormone the first week and progressing up to a higher level of hormone. But this new formula, Zovia 1/35E has the same level of hormone for all 3 weeks. On the informational materials provided in the packs, there's listings of side affects of birth-control in general, but nothing specific to the higher estrogen doses in Zovia. The only thing I could find specific about Zovia was a note: "Zovia 1/35E is higher in estrogen than other birth control pills. Do not take unless specifically recommended by your physician." Well, Kaiser wouldn't prescribe me my usual Ortho-tri without charging $80.00 a pack for them. Despite that, I'm concerned about being prescribed a higher dose of estrogen when I (and I'm sure millions of other womn) don't need a higher dose.

Has anyone had any experience with Zovia specifically? Does anyone know what the drawbacks are with taking a higher level of Estrogen (and with weight-loss and cancer risks in particular)? Weren't there some recent studies about menopausal women taking high levels of estrogen (or was it progesterone?) and getting cancer?

Thanks for any advice! I'm really worried and refusing to take them until I can find out more.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 15:59

Stats: 171/164/150
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Atkins and the Pill

I have been doing Atkins for 2 weeks and have noticed bleeding and spotting for the last week, despite the fact that I'm on the Pill. My TOM is not due until next week...I feel great, and have lost 7 pounds so far and am excercising. I know all those things can affect TOM, but I thought since I was already on the Pill, I would at least be regular.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 21:08
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I think I would want an explanation on the change...

Did your doctor tell you why he changed it? and *****80 DOLLARS******** for the ortho tri-cyclen??? per pack? I don't know about you, but I get my prescription for that filled at Super Walmart and it costs me around 30 a pack... EEEEK!

I'm pretty outspoken to my Doctor, I figure as expensive as health care is, I deserve to have my say heard and to have things explained to me rather than dictated. That is one reason I still go to a doctor in another county, I found one I really like and as long as I am able to make the drive, I will.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:11

Stats: 205/180/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

I'm switching to Zovia next month, because I need the monophasic pills. 35mcg estrogen is the same amount as your 3rd week on Orthotricyclene, so it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't experienced lack of weight loss on the orthocyclene, but I'll let you know how I do on the Zovia.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 16:47

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

I was on zovia....had spotting for a week then a full week of bleeding...2 weeks of it!! After 3 months, I called my dr. Monday and he perscribed ovcon35. I'm hopping this has no ill effects.

I agree....go to a Walmart or Target - they are much less expensive then the smaller drug stores (brooks, CVS)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:25

Stats: 294/220/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I am on OrthoTricyclen and have been for about 4 years. My TOM, so far on Atkins has been fine although I was a day early last month.

I get my prescriptions at CVS, and pay $36 (without insurance).

If I were you, I'd ask why you were switched. I think that's rediculous. I'd tell my doctor that I want to continue with what is working for me. I can't see a doctor objecting to that. JMHO
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 07:01

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I don't know anything specifically about Zovia, but estrogen is the hormone that causes fat to be deposited in the breasts, hips and thighs. That's why puberty changes a girl's body shape.

I think it also causes water retention.