Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo and Keto
Stats: 224/215/147 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Things are NOT working out for me!!

I was diagnosed as Hyperthyroid a while ago and my meds still are not right.
Sometimes I feel very energetic and other times totally exhausted. I realise that life is sometimes more difficult and if I was not hypothyroid I would still have inconsistancy, but I feel a busy tiring lifestyle is harder with a thyroid problem.

I am currently taking 100mcg of levothyroxine and I feel that its not the right medication for me.
Everytime I increase my meds I get a very bad headache and then feel more energetic and then I slump back down again. Surely, I don't need to keep increasing? Blood test is next week.

When I feel better, (about 2 weeks out of each month) I feel more self conscious about my weight. I weigh 56lbs more than I did 10 years ago and at least 28 lbs more than 3 years ago.
I cannot wear any clothes that I used too and I have not lost a lb since starting with meds. What can I do?? I look awful and nothing fits properly.

My current symptons include severe tiredness the week prior to my period, severe weight gain. My circulation is dreadful and I have a pain in my hip with travels down my leg frequently. Also, the joints in my hands feel very stiff in the morning.

Does anyone else have similar problems or symptoms?

I have read about Armour and I wondered if it is available in the UK and would that be better in teh long term than Levothyroxine?

I do hope someone responds I need cheering up a little. Please someone tell me that my life can get better.

Also, what are the long terms effects of being hypothyroid??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 13:11

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Ok, are you hypER thyroid, of hypO? Your post says both, but your med is for hypO. If you're only taking Lev, you probably need some T3, which means either adding Cytomel or switching to Armour.

Look at the form for your bloodtest. In addition to TSH, your doc should be testing Free T3 and Free T 4. Sometimes these are called thyroxine (free) and tri-ioodothyronine (free). A quick few checks with a ballpoint pen will get you these tests if they are not marked.

Armour is available in the UK, and one way to find someone who will prescribe it is to ask a pharmacist (chemist?) for names of doctors who do. You may have to pay for it privately, but people I know who have done that say it's worth it.

To help you evaluate your own condition, a properly medicated hypoT should have a TSH at or under 1.0 - just like a healthy person. That's the whole point of being on meds to begin with! Also, you will feel and funtion the best if your FT3 and FT4 are in the UPPER THIRD of the range.

One last thing to do is check your diet for goitrogens. These inclued soy, tea, raw crucifers (cooked is ok), turnips, rutabagas, flax, millet and peanuts.

NOTE: this advice is assuming you are hypO thyroid, not HYPER.

Cheers,

Friday
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 14:04

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

FYI, recent studies have shown unfermented soy to have a depressive effect on the thyroid. Unfortunately, it's in everything from cereal to ice cream and PARTICULARLY in commercial low carb products.

I strongly recommend that you read food labels and attempt to remove as much soy from your diet as possible.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 15:15

BF:

Yep, the same is true of most city water (fluoride) and most teas (also fluoride). Fluoride is so good at supressing thyroid function that it was given to people who were hypER thyroid before the advent of drugs/radioactive iodine. Caffienated teas are the worst for fluoride, and herbals are the best. IMHO, if you're hypoT and a big tea drinker, ditch the tea. Between the fluoride inthe tea itself and the fluoride in the water, it's a double whammy. The safest tea would be an herbal tea made with distilled water.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 16:54

Plan: BodyRX with lower carbs
Stats: 180/180/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayeyes
Yep, the same is true of most city water (fluoride) and most teas (also fluoride). Fluoride is so good at supressing thyroid function that it was given to people who were hypER thyroid before the advent of drugs/radioactive iodine. Caffienated teas are the worst for fluoride, and herbals are the best. IMHO, if you're hypoT and a big tea drinker, ditch the tea. Between the fluoride inthe tea itself and the fluoride in the water, it's a double whammy. The safest tea would be an herbal tea made with distilled water.

Wow. So is that the answer to drinking flouride free water---drinking distilled water? Any other options? (I really need to study these boards! Lots of info!......Kinda scary.)

Scrummy, I'm in a similar boat and can't really be of help, but I do wish you the best of luck.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 18:01

BF:

First off, check your city water website if they have one. You may not be fluoridated (or call them). Then you should check out filters, reverse osmosis systems or bottled water. I'mn lucky; my water's not fluoridated. Once again, tho - meds first, then tweak for optimal results.

Distilled water is cheap - and tasteless - but you can be pretty certain there is nothing in but H2 and O.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 03:41
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,
Thanks to you all for posting.
I am feeling much much better today )
Just for the record I am HYPO, sorry it was a typo before.
The tea/water thing is very interesting, although I prefer coffee and have decaf.
I don't think I am in an area with flouridated water supply. But will stock up on distilled water.
Is decaf coffee somthing I should avoid too??
I am due to have a blood test this week so will ensure that I have T3 checked too.
I have cut out carbs for the last 2 days now. Getting started was really hard. But I felt a little lighter and less bloated this morning so after a week or so I hope to have lost a few lbs too. I have an awful headache. Not sure if its the meds or sugar withdrawal?

I will check ALL labels for soy, I'll do anything to feel better.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 13:41

BF:

Just remember, FREE T3 and Free T4, not FTI, not uptake, not calculated.

BTW, hardcore low carbing can be not so good for hypoTs. Ketosis takes place in the liver whish is also where the T4 to T3 conversion happens. You may feel better on smaller meals with a few more carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 06:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you Fridayeyes!

I am just trying to have carbs at one meal aday (in moderation of course) so that I can eat with the family.
When I have lunch and breakfast I go without. I am buying some scales at the weekend and will see if I have lost. I really hope so, it will be a huge boost for me. However, on a positive chirpy happy note I definately feel less bloated so that can only be a good thing.

Also, just to confirm....I will definately request that my doctor checks my FT4 and my FT3....I am waiting for her to call to tell me what I should put on the blood test form. So far it just says "on T4" at the top and then in teh test instructions it reads what looks like FT1?!

I also found a place in the UK that will dispense Armour (not that I am on it yet) I just made enquiries about it as I wanted to learn more about this type of treatment. I learn't that it is not licensed in the UK and that it is only prescribed privately or at your GPs discretion. It is available from a company called BR Pharmaceuticals.

He said it was not licensed due to the batch to batch consistancy. I have looked at the Armour thyroid site and tried to educate myself, but would be pleased if anyone knows anymore about this type of med.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:05
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am currently taking 100mcg of levothyroxine and I feel that its not the right medication for me.
Everytime I increase my meds I get a very bad headache and then feel more energetic and then I slump back down again. Surely, I don't need to keep increasing? Blood test is next week.

When I feel better, (about 2 weeks out of each month) I feel more self conscious about my weight. I weigh 56lbs more than I did 10 years ago and at least 28 lbs more than 3 years ago.
I cannot wear any clothes that I used too and I have not lost a lb since starting with meds. What can I do?? I look awful and nothing fits properly.
One other point to add, Scrummy. That "2 week time frame" stands out. Do you feel worse before your period? If so, you may need a slight dosage increase during your luteal phase if you are estrogen dominant. It may also be worth it to get your estrogen and progesterone levels tested via saliva tests if you happen to have a holistic doctor.

Quote:
He said it was not licensed due to the batch to batch consistancy. I have looked at the Armour thyroid site and tried to educate myself, but would be pleased if anyone knows anymore about this type of med.
I assume you meant "inconsistancy". Who said this? This is incorrect, It's a myth perpetuated by ignorance.
http://www.armourthyroid.com/faq.html#q3
http://www.altsupportthyroid.org/treatment/history.php

HTH,
Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayeyes

BTW, hardcore low carbing can be not so good for hypoTs. Ketosis takes place in the liver whish is also where the T4 to T3 conversion happens. You may feel better on smaller meals with a few more carbs.

Fridaeyes:
Interesting observation on ketosis and thyroid hormones. I've actually read that exessive insulin inhibits liver to convert T4 into T3 too.
Quote:
Finally the liver is responsible for regulating thyroid function by converting thyroxine (T4), a thyroid hormone, into its more active form, triidothyronine (T3). Inadequate conversion of T4 into T3 by the liver may lead to hypothyroidism. The liver also breaks down hormones like adrenaline, aldosterone, estrogen, and insulin after they have performed their needed functions.

http://www.moondragon.org/health/di...s/theliver.html

Could it be that liver is simply overworked trying to remove excessive insulin and can't convert thyroid hormones. If there is also too much estrogen to deal with, it can be a problem too. I'm really interested because I'm pre-menopausal and dealing with some sympthoms that could be related to hypothyrodism as well. My T3 was never tested but free T4 is normal, and TSH is on low end too. So, my question is why and how ketosis supresses thyroid hormone conversion? I mostly follow LC WOE for blood sugar control.
Thanks a lot.
Dina
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 17:55

Plan: Maker's Diet
Stats: 145/165/145 Female 5'8"
BF:34%
Progress:
Default References to help you

Hi - I've spent countless hours researching my health issues for 10 years now. These are some of the best references I have tried.

Books/websites/nutitional supplement resources:

BEST BOOK EVER-What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Pre-Menopause by Dr. Lee /website is: http://www.johnleemd.com/

http://health-science.com/ (excellent resource and very, very good progesterone cream-really helped me a lot)

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism by Ken Blanchard

Patient Heal Thyself by Dr. Jordan Rubin, N.M.D., C.N.C. (Author of Maker's Diet)
http://www.makersdiet.com/
http://beyondprobiotics.net/ (I buy many of my products here)

My doctors website: http://www.hormoneandlongevitycenter.com/thyroid/
http://beyond-a-century.com/ (great place to buy many supplements for a lot less)

drlam.com (very, very helpful-you can email him and he will answer you back, excellent doctor who really cares)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 05:25
Registered Member

BF:
Default WCollier......

Yes, you are spot on! The two week time frame does relate to my period. The week before I am in a very bad state. Tenderness, headaches and absolutely dreadful fatigue....
Slow recovery the following week and then back on form!

Thank you for the info on Armour.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:47
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

You're welcome Scrummy! When you get your labs done (and you post them for us), you'll just want to add a bit to the mix when you start feeling bad before your period.

Wanda
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
You're welcome Scrummy! When you get your labs done (and you post them for us), you'll just want to add a bit to the mix when you start feeling bad before your period.

Wanda
This sound just like me, I feel achy all over second half of my cycle: headaches and achy muscles and joints, it used to be right before my period, now it's 2 weeks ahead. I'll try to convince my GP to get a complete thyroid panel test and may be estrogen/progesteron too, she just does FSH, which is still very low.
I was thinking about progesteron cream. Do I need to get progesteron test first?