Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 00:15

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Had surgery. Now I can't talk.

I had surgery a couple days ago and now I can't talk. I can barely say 2 words, then my voice dies and any words after that come out even weaker. I sound like a 5yrold, my voice is really low and quiet and normally it's deep and loud.

One doctor said it's because of the tube they stuck down my throat.
The surgeon said it's because of the area and it could take 3 months to get back. And I don't have the normal "bad" sounding voice they hear where when it's permanent or really bad.
Some people told me it might not come back ever, or it could take longer than 8 months.
I think right after the surgery I couldn't say more than 1 word, now I'm up to 2..and that doesn't even last long.
This is driving me nuts and scaring the hell out of me.

Nurses were asking me to describe it. No way could I have sounded normal to them, they had to get in my face to hear me and kept making me repeat things. They were like "so you can't yell?" I think they thought this 5yrold voice is my normal voice.

And anything that would help? I've been drinking water with real squeezed lemon in it (screw the fructose+carbs..I don't care right now)
Drinking salt water feels better..
Soup..
Green Tea..
Breathing in steam.. supposed to 'hydrate' it. (My throat feels really dry and probably inflamed..I'm not even burping right)

What else? Any herbs? Slippery Elm is more for bronchitis and mucus.. my throat feels like theres junk in it though..and I can't cough or hack much ..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 07:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Losing your voice after this type of surgery is not uncommon. Often your voice is more hoarse, or it sounds off, or you're practically voicless - it doesn't usually last more than a few months. The complete loss of voice is usually only a few days. You may notice that your voice doesn't sound exactly the same as it used to - this happens too, but not to the extent that you describe now. Try not to overuse your voice, let your trachea heal and avoid yelling (if you find you can in a few days, that is!).

If you haven't regained your voice at least partially in a few days I'd contact the doctor and have him check it out - make sure they check your vocal cords.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 11:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi - I can imagine why you're scared. It's quite a metaphor isn't it 'not having a voice', 'not being heard'. Very linked to having personal power.
But to endorse what Nat says, it isn't uncommon after surgery and it is usually temporary.
As the doc said, it's often to do with the tube they put down your windpipe to do the anaethetic. They knock you out with an injection, but the long term anaesthesia is done via a gas/air mixture. They put a tube in to keep your airway open when your muscles relax but they're sometimes clumsy putting it in and hurt your voice box.
Be gentle with it, don't fret - chances are it'll mend just like it would if a cold put paid to your voice for a while.
Take care, thinking of you, Jay
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 13:35

BF:

Hi - thanks all. Makes me feel a little better.

I had surgery before and I couldn't talk but that only lasted a few hours after the surgery and I still had some deepness or same tone. So this just seems really different to me.

Last night I took my first shower(god that felt good lol) and a few minutes after that I was hacking up green phlegm.. I guess maybe having the water so hot..the steam loosened something up? I don't know if that means anything or not..

If they hit a nerve, would that still heal on it's own? What's also bothering me is that about a month ago I noticed when singing slow songs, I couldn't finish verses. At the end my voice would kind of die like it is now. Only noticable to me though. They pulled a couple lymphnodes out of the 'central' part of my neck..like right where the incision is. I'm wondering if a lymphnode was why I couldn't sing right and them taking it out damaged something.

I'm just not going to talk anymore. No point in it anyways, my family thinks it's the funniest thing ever and is making fun of me for it. I even overheard them talking about it being like a 'vaction' with the quietness. That's ok though, it's going to be so "quiet" for the next week or months.. it's going to drive them nuts. Anyone else I want to talk to there is AIM and text messaging.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-04, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoOwnsMe
If they hit a nerve, would that still heal on it's own? What's also bothering me is that about a month ago I noticed when singing slow songs, I couldn't finish verses. At the end my voice would kind of die like it is now.
A hoarse voice is one of the symptoms of a thyroid problem, the vocal cords are very close to where your thyroid is located. Cysts, nodes, an inflammed thyroid could all be the cause. There is also the possibility that a nerve was very close to your thyroid and this was damaged, but it is not that common.

The phlegm is likely the result of the tube - you're dealing with two issues, the thyroid and the procedure. I believe you need to let the effects of the latter wear off before you can tell if there is an issue with your vocal cords.

Laying low and keeping quiet is probably your best bet right now - that and time. If things don't improve in the next few days I'd head back to see the doctor, just to be on the safe side.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-04, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't try to force the sound. (This is advice from a singer.) Hydration is key so both steaming and drinking water and other liquids is necessary. But don't try to force the voice to make a sound.

Whispering will do to make yourself heard, or write down what you need to communicate.

To test out the voice very gently, try saying a rather suspicious Hmmmmm through your nose. Try to feel as though the sound will start in your nose, not your throat. If you can't do that, then you do need to see a doctor or speech pathologist.

Trying too hard to force a sound when your vocal cords are too swollen or bruised from the tube or the operation can only lead to problems with the throat muscles. It may resolve itself soon and the water and steam are the best treatment if it's a temporary thing.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 01:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofi
To test out the voice very gently, try saying a rather suspicious Hmmmmm through your nose. Try to feel as though the sound will start in your nose, not your throat. If you can't do that, then you do need to see a doctor or speech pathologist.

I tried that and it does seem to start in my nose.

I'm talking a little better now and I'm not coughing up phlegm anymore. I've only coughed once recently and that's because I tried to yell to call my dog in. (lol habit) I can kind of sing for like 2 minutes, it just doesn't sound good. . I don't know though.. seems like the vocal cord that controlls the loudness and deepness was cut or something. I just can't really pronounce certain letters, like saying a word that starts with the letter U or H or WH .. come out kind of weak. The right side of my neck is still a little numb though.

This sucks. I don't want to wait 3+ months.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 15:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 156/156/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not to thyroid disease. I just wanted to calm some of your fears Keto. A thyroidectomy requires manipulation of the laryngeal nerve and this can "shock" the nerve somewhat. This is the reason for your lack of voice. The doctor was correct in that it can take up to 3 months to recover, but usually not that long.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 16:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Mom
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not to thyroid disease.
I had to do a double take when I saw your post here, K9Mom, I thought I was over at HBs. Welcome to the forum, your knowledge and expertise are greatly appreciated.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 01:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Mom
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not to thyroid disease. I just wanted to calm some of your fears Keto. A thyroidectomy requires manipulation of the laryngeal nerve and this can "shock" the nerve somewhat. This is the reason for your lack of voice. The doctor was correct in that it can take up to 3 months to recover, but usually not that long.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better.

It does. Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 04:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 156/156/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress:

Hi Natrushka
Thanks!

I accidentally found this forum while searching for low carb info. Imagine my surprise when I saw there was a thyroid forum! I am restarting the South Beach Diet as of yesterday.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 04:54
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hiya, I just saw your thread, I hope you're feeling better very soon. I had this when I came out of surgery when i had my twins - I lost my voice for days - probably best part of two weeks - but I assure you, it will come back in time. You're doing everything right. Just keep drinking lots and eating some soft foods like you have been. I believe it is the effect of the anasthetic.
Good luck and get well soon!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 14:23

Plan: low Carb..sim to atkins
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 82%

My mom had her Thryoid removed in 1983. She had a weak voice for probably about a year after surgery. It got better. Her voice will still get weak after hours of talking, but not bad.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 19:46

BF:

Update.

My voice is pretty much back. Seemed to just come back out of nowhere this week. A few people even noticed it.. I thought it would happen gradually but seemed to happen overnight or something. But still.. if I talk to much at once it starts to die and gets weak fast. Or if I talk to much throughout the day it gets weak at night. Steam and tea didn't help much, I quit that after the first 2-3 weeks.

Thanks all.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 16:07
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

That's great news Keto!

Wanda