Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/289.5/135 Female 5'8"
BF:A lot less :)
Progress: 9%
Default I really hope....

that losing weight with LC eating will help my chances of concieving easier. My husband and I are so excited about starting a family in the next year, but my doctor says and I agree that I need to lose weight first. With gaining so much weight in the past few years, it has really messed up my periods and hormones, (which doesn't really help when trying to get Pregnant). I went and got checked out, (Tons of blood work, and an ultra sound,) I am normal and healthy as an ox, just severly overweight. When I lose this weight I should ovulate more regularly and be able to concieve easier. I hope so! I can't wait to be a mom and I hope this works. Sorry to blabber, I am a worry wart.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 14:35

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

I hope that you and your hubby can conceive in the coming year as you are planning to. I really feel that weight is a big (no pun intended) factor regarding fertility issues. At my highest weight my cycles were incredibly erratic.

Have you ever read the book, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"?
I began charting my cycles using the method described in that book. AFTER I got my weight under control, hubby and I tried to conceive and we ended up pregnant on the FIRST try. I'm not saying that happens for everyone, but it really helped us in figuring out how to work with my particular cycle and fertility pattern. (It worked with the second pregnancy, too!)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello
I hope that you and your hubby can conceive in the coming year as you are planning to. I really feel that weight is a big (no pun intended) factor regarding fertility issues. At my highest weight my cycles were incredibly erratic.

Have you ever read the book, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"?
I began charting my cycles using the method described in that book. AFTER I got my weight under control, hubby and I tried to conceive and we ended up pregnant on the FIRST try. I'm not saying that happens for everyone, but it really helped us in figuring out how to work with my particular cycle and fertility pattern. (It worked with the second pregnancy, too!)

Thank you for your kind words. I will look that book up on the internet. Congratulations on both of your beautiful children!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: General / Paleo / Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 31%

Chubbybunz - congrats on your decision to try for a baby soon!

I also had the experience of having really LOOOOONG cycles when I was at my heaviest, but after 2 months on a low carb diet, my cycles were 28 days. After 6 months, I had lost 40 pounds and conceived on my honeymoon.

I'm pregnant with my second child now and the same pattern applied!

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-08, 13:29

Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I really worry about whether or not my husband and I will be able to conceive. I had gotten to the point where I was rarely having any periods at all. I went to the doctor last year and she immediately blamed it on my weight and told me I was going to need birth control to help regulate my cycles. Strangely enough, the day after my appointment I got my period for the first time in 3 or 4 months and I called and cancelled my appointment.

Several months passed and I only had a couple of periods. Then I started low carb and my period started THE DAY AFTER I STARTED LOW CARB! I've had it on time every month since then, but the last I've had my TOM for two weeks. I'm hoping it's just my body regulating itself and that everything will even out. If that doesn't happen by my next cycle, I'll be making a doctor's appointment.

My husband has finally decided, after five years of marriage, that he's really anxious to be a dad. I just worry that it will never happen for us... I'm sure that once my weight is down and my hormones are evened out everything will be okay, it's just hard to convince myself of that sometimes...

Anyway, I started a thread in the buddies section for other women looking to conceive. If nothing else, chubbybunz, you and I can hang out there! No one else has responded....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 15:46

Hey Gee Wee, It's been a while since I've visited the boards. I have been super busy! I finally read all these posts. I know what you're going through. It's tough, and hopefully with this new WOE we will both be new moms next year! I wish you so much luck. You can send me private messages whenever you wish. Good luck to all the other girls trying to concieve as well! I think we will be able to do it when we are healthy and emotionally ready too. I swear, I got my period right after my doctor appointment too!!!! I think a lot of it has to do with nerves, pressure, stress, etc. Those things can mess up our cycles too as well as weight, hormones etc. As soon as the doctor said I was healthy, just need to lose weight, it was like my body relaxed, and my period came. Anyway, keep in touch with me and let me know how you're doing. We can share tips, questions, struggles, triumphs. My periods come and go. They are still a little out of whack, but I've only been LCing for a little while, so hopefully with time everything will even out. Good luck!!!