Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 19:32

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 230/230/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default CALP in a galley kitchen

Hello to everyone! I am new to this forum, but not new to CAD/CALP. When I started it five years ago, I lost over 30 lbs! I discovered that this was the best way for me to eat - not only for weight loss, but because carbs make me a screaming mimi and with pre-menopause it is only getting worse. I am absolutely thrilled to have found this forum, as I have looked before for a place where CALP "lifers" share their stories and couldn't find it. There is so much inspiration here!

Anyway, I tried searching for my question but I get an error message, so if this has already been addressed, sorry. I live in an apartment with a teensy kitchen, a tiny fridge and an ancient oven. I am not well-off (I am an artist, yay!) but that's OK. My question is how some of you who also don't have a lot of room deal with the same prob. Especially you New Yorkers, no? I'd love to make up batches of chicken, soups, etc and freeze them, but I don't have the space. Any input would be very welcome, as this lack of freezer/fridge space can derail me when I'm busy, tired or pre-menstrual and looking for a reason to "fall off". Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 09:37

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillyjonk
Hello to everyone! I am new to this forum, but not new to CAD/CALP. When I started it five years ago, I lost over 30 lbs! I discovered that this was the best way for me to eat - not only for weight loss, but because carbs make me a screaming mimi and with pre-menopause it is only getting worse. I am absolutely thrilled to have found this forum, as I have looked before for a place where CALP "lifers" share their stories and couldn't find it. There is so much inspiration here!

Anyway, I tried searching for my question but I get an error message, so if this has already been addressed, sorry. I live in an apartment with a teensy kitchen, a tiny fridge and an ancient oven. I am not well-off (I am an artist, yay!) but that's OK. My question is how some of you who also don't have a lot of room deal with the same prob. Especially you New Yorkers, no? I'd love to make up batches of chicken, soups, etc and freeze them, but I don't have the space. Any input would be very welcome, as this lack of freezer/fridge space can derail me when I'm busy, tired or pre-menstrual and looking for a reason to "fall off". Thanks!

Hi and welcome..do pop down to the hour power chat thread where there is always daily posting

I don't have a galley kitchen any longer (but used to..so boy can I empathize). I would try several things - menu planning so you can use free time to plan meals that work off each other..kind of a Rachel Ray trick where you get two meals out of the same ingredients. If you have room for a small crockpot cook up shredded beef (I have a recipe I can share, just uses a chuck roast) - use that for a rm of wraps, shredded beef with veggies - could be cm for a heavier cm lunch or for a second rm - adding rice for a carb.
2: canned clean food - I love smoked oysters - in water or oil and find these, with a small salad make a wonderful quick lunch, and the tins don't take much space (I am still pantry space challenged..lol). Clean tuna or shrimp work for wonderful tuna or shrimp salad - over lettuce for cm's with a carb added for rm.
3: If you have space for a blender, one head of cauliflower can be easily riced (I can give you a link to a great video) and then you can use that for a couple of days - make a stir-fried rice with veggies and meat (maybe the canned shrimp..curry powder..don't know what your food tastes are), make the recipe you can find here for a cauliflower crust pizza, or cheesy garlic cauliflower "bread sticks".
4: making up soup to have for a couple of meals - adding salad and a half sandwich or good cm sausages with veggie on the side. I make a mean cauliflower soup that to us, tastes as good as potato soup.
All of the above just call for a few tins, salad fixings, head of cauliflower, bit of meat in the frig.
Now..you probably have tastes that say yuck to all of the above, but hopefully, it will spark an idea or two!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-13, 23:19

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%

I second the canned tuna! Yummy for lunch! Eggs last a long time too, and I eat a lot of them I keep cheese sticks around if I need a snack, and I usually have them with half a tomato.

And yeah, Patricia- gonna need that cauli soup recipe, YUM!! I have a head of cauliflower that needs to find its way deliciously in to my belly this week

WELCOME though!! I am an artist (portrait photographer) too And a musician (compose music), though that makes no money, it's just fun fun
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-13, 18:51

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 230/230/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, both Patriciakr and MelodyRose, for responding and being so friendly! I appreciate the welcome. Patriciakr, you really hit on a great idea with making a couple meals out of one thing. I have tried that and it helps - I eat a lot of chicken and eggs, so I've been making a large chicken salad (or tuna, natch!) and eating for two of my LC meals a day. It can get boring, but it's better than thinking about preparing lots of different kinds of meals and besides, it's easier on the little fridge! Thanks again, guys. I'll come back to this to try other notions too.