Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 00:59

Plan: none
Stats: 102/106/102 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default feel like a loser

today was my quit day, after 30 yrs smoking. I only made it 21 hrs, then i just had to have 2 puffs. I know what did it, I had dinner. All day I munched on carrots,(if i eat another one Im going to get sick lol) and ate lollypops to help get thru the cravings.But after dinner was to hard to resist.I was wondering if Im having "normal" withdrawal symptoms.Im using the step 1 of the patch and my dr has me on 300mil of wellbutrin a day.I had the worse headache all day that ive ever had,was sick to my stomach, shaky and my heart seems to beat faster,is it possible the patches are to strong or is this suppose to happen?Now i guess I have to start my new quit time to the 2 puffs i took,now Im sad that I just wont be able to do this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 309/289/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I wish you luck!

Thats great you made this decision to quit smoking, you wont regret it. I smoked for 15yrs and I quit almost 2 years ago. I had my last cigarette right before going to bed then I woke up the next morning with a sreaming 2yr old & 6 yr old ready to start the day before I could go out in the garage to have my morning cigarette that I knew I couldnt have. I fed the kids, got myself a big glass of ice water & I zoned out on the couch for 3 days doing nothing but watching tv & movies, letting my husband take care of most of everything. I love him for that! Find someone to baby you!
Those first few days are very important wether you need to go hibernate or if you need to go be active. find what makes you zone out and not think about it. after those initial few days it will get easier. I concentrated on how good my hair & body smelled. When Im around smoke now I smell gross.
I still feel like a cigarette almost everyday but the urges pass very quickly and are not near as strong. I hope I could help.
GOOD LUCK!!!

and yes I had withdrawl symptoms. I had alot of anxiety, my throat would feel like it was tight and closing, grouchy, hot flashes.....it all improved dramatically after 4 days. I didnt use a patch or anything so I dont know if your symptoms are from that.

Last edited by Indianagrl : Tue, Jan-03-06 at 12:26.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 16:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

There's no need to feel like a loser, Dianna. What you need to feel like is a quitter. On average a smoker who quits successfully makes the attempt 6 times before they are successful. Keep on quitting...you'll make it.
Something that may help when you are going through a withdrawal craving is to get yourself a stopwatch or watch with a second hand. Generally, you will find that no physical craving episode lasts longer than 3 minutes and even on the worst day of withdrawal (typically day 3 if you quit cold turkey), the average number of episodes is about 10.
Why the stop watch? Because when you are going through an episode, it's quite normal to get something called 'time distortion' that makes it seem much longer than it really is and it helps to time them to keep an accurate perspective on what's going on.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 18:46

Plan: ?
Stats: 140/140/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Don't feel like a loser, that actually makes it worse! I just quit (16 days ago) after 30 years, too. I tried dozens of times before to no avail. For the last few years I actually managed to get myself addicted to both cigarettes and nicotine gum, lol. I don't know why it's different this time, but it is, I can feel it. I'm doing wellbutrin, too, but I'm doing the XL which is time release, don't know if that made a difference but it might have.
I do know for sure that it wasn't until I was able to stop beating myself up for smoking that I was able to quit. Forgive yourself, and focus on the positive only - you went 21 hours without a cigarette, be proud of that. The more you forgive yourself and be gentle with yourself the easier you'll find it to let the cigarettes go for good. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna0825
today was my quit day, after 30 yrs smoking. I only made it 21 hrs, then i just had to have 2 puffs. I know what did it, I had dinner. All day I munched on carrots,(if i eat another one Im going to get sick lol) and ate lollypops to help get thru the cravings.But after dinner was to hard to resist.I was wondering if Im having "normal" withdrawal symptoms.Im using the step 1 of the patch and my dr has me on 300mil of wellbutrin a day.I had the worse headache all day that ive ever had,was sick to my stomach, shaky and my heart seems to beat faster,is it possible the patches are to strong or is this suppose to happen?Now i guess I have to start my new quit time to the 2 puffs i took,now Im sad that I just wont be able to do this.
what you describe could be the patches... BUT (LISTEN UP)... I did wellbutrin once to help me quit smoking, and I ended up stopping it after 3 or 4 days... I thought I was going to DIE... I started getting very serious panic attacks!... wellbutrin works wonders for some, but it can have HORRIBLE side effects for others... it took like 12 hours for these really bad side effects to diminish... so, that may be your problem... just a warning to be on guard for that.

And I don't know about the average attempts being 6, cuz mine were like 60+ over like 10 years! ... thank god I was FINALLY able to quit and I now (after over 4.5 years) have NO THOUGHTS of smoking (but THAT took over 1.5 years to happen). Good Luck, you CAN do it... if I quit, believe me, ANYONE can!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 01:00

Plan: none
Stats: 102/106/102 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Thank you to all that replied.Your input is very important and appreciated.My husband is trying to help me(god bless his big non smoking heart) but he doesnt fully understand and i cant explain what im feeling.I know what you mean about the wellbutrin, i felt funny for awhile when i 1st started taking it, ive been on that for about 2 months now for something else, and when i told dr i wanted to quit smoking he just doubled the dose.My dr gave me the patch for step 2, but having smoked a pack and a half a day i thought i might need to start with step 1, so i went out and got that. That is what i started with yesterday and felt really funny and sick, today i changed it to the one the dr gave me(step 2) and i didnt feel as sick, smaller headache but the cravings were soooo much more, so im kinda lost where do i go from here,would you stay with step 2 or go back to 1 and just wait out the sick feeling?Again thank you so much for your input and responses, your the reason many make it thru this.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 02:48
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Have you explored the use of a nicotine inhaler? Believe it or not, I had to use an inhaler, straws cut the size of smokes, patches, and gum... and, let's see, hypnosis, exercise, carrying around a water sipper with nice cold ice water, carrying around a pic of charred lungs, lots of praying/meditating, deep breathing, reading lists of why I was quitting several times a day, you name it - I did it. It was a nightmare that every time I even think about smoking I remember vividly. You can bet I will NEVER go back to THAT habit... and am SO glad I stopped! I would probably have emphysema by now! It is HARD... remember that... you need to do everything you can. There are places on the internet that have lots of advice. Good Luck and don't quit trying... no matter what happens.

BTW, the issues you had were caused by nicotine overdose from too strong a patch... been there too!