Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:54

Plan: Atkins, Sommersizing, Zone
Stats: 158/158/118
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy scared of fruit

Hi everyone,

I have read so many books on LC WOE that I am a little confused, unsure, apprehensive, scared, terrified etc. To eat fruit alone with out balancing it with carbs and fat. I have read Atkins, Protein Power, 40/30/30, Carb Addicts, and now Suzanne Sommers. I guess I am sort of convinced that if I eat fruit my insulin level will sky rocket if I don't have balance.

By the way I have lost 25 lbs on the Zone (since then gained it and more back) and I have been dabbling in Atkins for the past few weeks and am just not doing it well and I am not loosing and I am so very frustrated. I read Suzanne's book about 6 months ago but I was not convinced that the fruit and eating carbs/veggies wouldn't make me get fatter. I haven't gone back to the Zone because I thought Atkins would be faster. I like the keto sticks to keep me motivated.

Can anyone help me maybe by telling me if you experienced this same fear (see above for more detail!!!) and why or how have you lost weight with this diet.

I love her recipes and actually enjoy her book so if it has worked for you (how long before you saw results?) please tell me

Thanks very much

Servant
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:45

Plan: ATKINS!
Stats: 141/132/115
BF:
Progress: 35%

bump * thanks
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:15

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I've eaten frout all the way along on this plan and lost 20 pounds. When fruit season here (in California) really kicked in I started eating so much that my loss slowed way down, but I am NOT gaining and as long as I eat the fruit alone and not too much, I still lose just fine.

The fructose in fruit is broken down much more slowly than other sugars because it takes three chemical reactions to get it into a form where your body can use it. Also, the pectin in fruit helps keep the fructose from spiking your blood sugar. So as long as you eat fresh fruit, not dried or juice where the fructose is much more concentrated, you should be fine.

There are some fruits that are on the "funky" list according to Suzanne, becuase they have very high carb and sugar combined. Bananas is one of these. Coconut is another. But there are also fruits that are so low in carbs and sugars that they can almost be considered a "free" food and eaten with anything you want. The berries are in this category.

You can see on this forum and on the official Suzanne Somers site, as well as many other Somersizing sites around the web, that this WOE does work well for many people. The best way to find out if it will work for you is to try it for a few months!

MB
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

You bet this WOE works! I eat fruit at least once a day, often twice and have managed to lose 40 lbs eating this way. This is a typical day for me:

8 am - carb with berries: rye toast with no sugar added berry jam
10 am - fruit: nectarine
12 pm - pro/fat with veggies: roast pork with yellow wax beans, gravy made from pureed roast drippings, roasted garlic, Worcestershire sauce and water
6 pm - pro/fat with veggies: soy lemon salmon fillet with salad and homemade vinaigrette
8 pm - pro/fat with berries: mousse (whipped cream, cream cheese, vanilla and Splenda) and blueberries :-)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:34

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi,

I had the same fears. I was coming from a low-fat way of eating, and most recently from Body For Life where each meal has a bit of carb/protein and very little fat. I was a little worried that not watching fat intake and having an "unbalanced" meal would not work.

But the very first thing I noticed was that I could have a nice big satisfying meal and not feel full afterwards. I felt comfortable and satiated, but never heavy or like my belly was pressing against my waistband. Whenever I have a small cheat, or combine carbs with fat, I am reminded of why I don't do it. I feel full and uncomfortable, even if I've only had a small meal of it.

I have one piece of fruit almost every day as a snack and as was previously mentioned, fructose doesn't cause a raise in blood sugar like you'd think, because it takes longer to absorb. So fruit is okay as long as you don't eat it all day long.

As for losing, I began losing right away. Not everyone does, because it depends on where you are when you begin. The weight loss has slowed down at the moment, possibly because I'm getting close to my goal but I can say without a doubt that I have been dieting in some form or another for most of my life and this is the only time I've found something that not only works, but that has been so tasty and relatively easy that I can see no issue eating this way on a permanent basis (which is really what we're doing - changing the way we eat for the rest of our lives).

All I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you. And check out Suzanne Somers' site - there is a page there that has nothing but before&after pictures. It's amazing to see how many people have used this and succeeded. Go to http://www.suzannesomers.com and click on the Community tab. The Photo Album on the side has a lot of proof that this really works.

And then keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:06

Plan: modified sommersizing
Stats: 150/143.5/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 43%

I am having trouble with the carb portion of this program. I have been doing atkins - but felt that SS was a healthier alternative. the fruit seems to be ok, but as soon as I eat the whole grain cereal - it kicks me into mega food cravings. I guess I will have to take that part slower
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Silver,
Welcome to Somersizing. I am surprised to hear about the cravings. Most mornings I have a piece of fruit in the morning followed 20 minutes later by a cereal like Grape Nuts or Shredded Wheat or cooked brown rice, and I haven't had any cravings. The rest of the day I have protein, fats, and vegetables only.
I hope you like this; it has been great for me; I don't feel deprived at all.
Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:37

Plan: modified sommersizing
Stats: 150/143.5/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 43%

when I did SS before - I didn't find it a problem - but I switched to Atkins for a while and am finding it hard to switch back